5 Michigan v 10 Oregon Game Thread

5 Michigan v 10 Oregon Game Thread

• Noon start on CBS. Bill Raftery on the mic.

Mathis for Oregon has hit a couple deep threes early

• Discussion
  • Another sloppy day offensively.

• Offense just needs to make shots. Oregon is making everything they throw up, not much you can do if they’re going to make crazy shots. Eventually they will not fall.

Frustrating game. I don’t think we’ve taken a bad shot other than a couple midrange jumpers. Every three except for maybe one was wide open.

• Payton pritchard is killing us!

• Overtime! Hope we hit our shots

• Franzzzz

• Damnnn can we plz guard pritchard

• Happy to Wagner finally step up, I’ve been very critical of him, but he is showing something today. I wish Teske was more a factor

• You can’t let all there shots be inside two feet.

• Good game i thought that was goin in

• Looked like Simpson was point shaving. Dude was super careless and straight up killed the team down the stretch. John's was excellent though. Castleton still belongs on the bench and benching Brooks was idiotic.

• Hopefully that's the final final-shot Simpson takes for us in his career. He got absolutely abused by Pritchard down the stretch and did little to make up for it on the other end of the court. Very disappointing effort by him and Brooks today.

• Welp we had about 7 shots for a win. But non conference and it won’t be a bad loss come tournament time

• Someone should tell Simpson he can use two hands to go up strong once in awhile. Every pass and layup seems to be infinitely more difficult for no reason.

This post was edited by BigTenPhan 1 month ago

• Video of the last shot via CBS:

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsCBB/status/1205932031663730689

Seriously? This was what the coaching staff drew up during that free long timeout?

This L probably makes the difference between Michigan staying in the top 10 or being merely top 15-20 next Monday. How could they slip from beating UNC by 9 and Gonzaga by 18(!) to losing to an unranked Illinois and then slipping up vs. Oregon?

There are so many little difference makers, like the backcourt turnover leading to a free three for Oregon, to the two missed BJJ free throws in OT, to the inability to get crucial late defensive stops. Got two weeks to fix 'em before returning to Big Ten play at MSU in just over two weeks.

• UNC isn't very good. Gonzaga didn't have their full lineup. Aside from Louisville, Oregon and Illinois were perhaps the best teams Michigan has faced. Pritchard is the best point guard i've see this year. He owned Xavier in this game, and that was the difference.

I'm surprise that Michigan didn't double him more and force the ball out of his hands. It was painfully obvious that Simpson couldn't stay in front of him.

• My hope for this season is quickly fading. Looks like we were pretenders after all.

• ScottGaf said... (original post) UNC isn't very good. Gonzaga didn't have their full lineup. Aside from Louisville, Oregon and Illinois were perhaps the best teams Michi...

Oregon was going ISO. If we doubled him, we leave their shooters open and they’re one of the best shooting teams in the country - as evidence by the first half When we got down 16 mostly due to them just making contested shots. Simpson played well against Pritchard for 35 minutes. But last 5 and OT he got abused.

• EzioAuditore said... (original post) My hope for this season is quickly fading. Looks like we were pretenders after all.

I think we are a top 25 team. But we’re not a top 10 team. Which is fine. Before the season, most were expected an 8-9 seed at best.

• EzioAuditore said... (original post) My hope for this season is quickly fading. Looks like we were pretenders after all.

I anticipated us being just inside the bubble in the preseason. The Bahamas trip raised my expectations, but the Illinois game was a boner kill. The big ten is good and deep as hell. Go 13-7 in the conference and get a win or 2 in the BTT and we should be seeded decently. 24-11 with the wins we have should be a solid resume. Anything better is gravy.

• BigTenPhan said... (original post) I anticipated us being just inside the bubble in the preseason. The Bahamas trip raised my expectations, but the Illinois game was a boner kill. ...

This. The early success raised a lot of fan’s expectations right away. But the reality is that what we should have taken from the Bahamas tournament is that this team is better than anyone thought and that we can play with anyone. With that being said, there really is no elite teams this year, including us, so any team can lose to anyone on a any given day.