Choked...

Choked...

• We should blew them out smh we forced shots and let mcquaid shoot them deadly 3s! We better turn this around or we will lose early in the ncaa tournament goblue

• Discussion
  • First round exit in my opinion too many problems to fix. When JB got here it was all offense no defense now it’s great defense and no offense. Why can’t we ever have a team football or basketball that has great offense and defense. Why can’t we ever win a championship!! I’m sorry i’m just venting my frustration.

• How do you bench your best defender?
    Matthews has played in two Big Ten tournaments and a NCAA championship game and Belein benches him?
    And a freshman but only doesn't defend, but takes ridiculous shots?
    Michigan has lost the ability to coach Championship games.
    Not to mention no player has the sands to defend their point guard.
    Oh wait.... Let's bench that guy

• Yup, choked. There’s really no other word for it. All 3 games went almost the same way: we play well early, have opportunities to put the game away but instead let them back in the game and win it because our offense looks like a bunch of players who just started playing basketball last week.

• Bamatigerfan48 said... (original post)

First round exit in my opinion too many problems to fix. When JB got here it was all offense no defense now it’s great defense and no offense. Why can’t we ever have a team football or basketball that has great offense and defense. Why can’t we ever win a championship!! I’m sorry i’m just venting my frustration.

Nah, we overcome our offensive issues with an athletic defense. We probably still win the first two but no way are we final four. Good teams eat us up with outer one simple offense and nice coach

• Bamatigerfan48 said... (original post)

First round exit in my opinion too many problems to fix. When JB got here it was all offense no defense now it’s great defense and no offense. Why can’t we ever have a team football or basketball that has great offense and defense. Why can’t we ever win a championship!! I’m sorry i’m just venting my frustration.

I would be shocked and disappointed if we lost against Montana but would not be shocked but would be disappointed if we lose to Nevada in the 2nd round.

• People are overreacting to our offensive woes in terms of our overall play. We are still a top 20 adjusted efficiency offense. We have a top 5 adjusted efficiency defense. There are only a couple teams that can claim both of those. MSU happens to be one of them. And like how we were just a nightmare matchup for them, they are a nightmare matchup for us.

Nick Ward getting hurt was the best thing for them in terms of their matchups against us. Tillman is a more versatile player. He may not be the offensive post player and overall rebounder, but he’s a very good and athletic defender. He allowed them to switch 1-5. Which takes away a lot of our ball screen offense. And because X isn’t a major threat to shoot, he can sag a bit and be there to help in the paint if X passes it off to someone else. Nick Ward can’t do that. They can only switch 1-4 in that instance. On the other end of the floor, Cassius is just an elite player. We weren’t able to solve him in the matchups, whereas last year he wasn’t that player yet and X just shut him down. I don’t know what we were thinking with McQuaid today. That was what lost it for us on defense, leaving him open so much. Which is mostly on Poole.

Which brings me to my final point. Jordan Poole is why we are not the elite offensive team we usually are under JB. Many were expecting (myself included) him to make a big jump this offseason. He did not make that jump. He’s still a very good shooter. But he was asked to do more this year. We needed him to be able to disrubute. Iggy and Charles are straight line drivers that do not pass that ball. That’s fine. You can use those players. But JB’s great offensive teams have had multiple players that can run the offense and find the open man or shoot themselves - Trey + THJ/Stauskas, Stauskas + Caris, Walton + MAAR, MAAR + X. We only have X this year. To take a big step next year on offense, we’ve got to find a second disturber. I think it can be Poole. He’s shown flashes, but he’s not there. DDJ could do it as well. But idk if it will be next year. We will have to wait and see.

But the above is why I don’t think we can go to the Final Four again. We have a great defense, but the offense shuts down and becomes ISO far too often. And we because we don’t have the shooters we usually do, ISO isn’t as effective.

• Whether it was the scheme or the breakdown on D, leaving McQuaid wide open for 40 minutes cost them the game at the end of the day.

Back to being owned by MSU. hooray...

• We are still a very good team. 28-6. We are a two seed for a reason. We may not be a final four team if we don't fix the offensive lapses but we are a tough team to play.
    I agree that we have not shown the killer instinct......yet. I suggest JB tell them to cut down on the muscle flexing after a basket and focus.
    I believe this team has more talent than last years team but last years team had the ability to rally at the end and sometimes beat teams with more talent. This team has not learned that yet and as a result they don't strive for the kill. The winning streak early in the year may have hurt us. They read their own press clippings perhaps.
    Time to mature....quickly but this is a good team.

• BooneWolverine said... (original post)

Whether it was the scheme or the breakdown on D, leaving McQuaid wide open for 40 minutes cost them the game at the end of the day.

Back to being owned by MSU. hooray...

We have the most reactionary fanbase in the country, I swear. Since 2011, the rivalry has been very even, but it’s gone in streaks. Michigan 3 in a row, MSU 2, Michigan 3, MSU 5, Michigan 3, MSU 3. Which adds up to a 9-10 record in that stretch, which is hardly being owned. This season they have, but let’s wait another season before we assume it’s more than just the ebb and flow of this rivalry under these two coaches.

• salient48 said... (original post)

We are still a very good team. 28-6. We are a two seed for a reason. We may not be a final four team if we don't fix the offensive lapses but we are a tough team to play.

I agree that we have not shown the killer instinct......yet. I suggest JB tell them to cut down on the muscle flexing after a basket and focus.

I believe this team has more talent than last years team but last years team had the ability to rally at the end and sometimes beat teams with more talent. This team has not learned that yet and as a result they don't strive for the kill. The winning streak early in the year may have hurt us. They read their own press clippings perhaps.

Moe did more trash talking and posturing than this year’s team combined. It’s not about a big head or reading press clippings. The biggest reason for our struggles is the lack of a second person to run the offense. X is the only one that can create for himself or others on a consistent basis.

• salient48 said... (original post)

We are still a very good team. 28-6. We are a two seed for a reason. We may not be a final four team if we don't fix the offensive lapses but we are a tough team to play.

Ugh it kills me to see 6 losses knowing 3 of them are to Izzo.

The biggest difference is MAAR + Moe on offense gave you two guys that could put the ball on the ground and get to the hoop.
    Sub in Poole + Teske and we just don't see it. The motion of the offense is just way too slow now. Poole makes really selfish decisions but I'd still run more ball screens for him.

JMO

• Just a tough matchup for Michigan. Hopefully, they won't have to play a team like that in the tourney. Sometimes you just have a bad matchup. They were in all 3 games and a shot here or there goes in and you could have won 2 or all 3 of them. It's not like they got killed by MSU.

I'm honestly surprised how good both teams are. Both top 10 teams for most of the year. Both 2 seeds in the big dance and I honestly don't know if there is a player with NBA talent on either team.