Cleveland may be turning on Coach B

Cleveland may be turning on Coach B

• Apparently, anonymous players on the Cleveland Cavaliers have voiced their displeasure with Beilein’s coaching style. Man, don’t like to see this already in Coach B’s tenure. But I admit, it’s not surprising. Look at Cleveland’s roster. They are a bad team that Beilein went to.

• Discussion
  • He should have never taken that job

• BigWillieStyle said... (original post) He should have never taken that job

Agree. I don’t blame him for wanting to try the NBA. But Cleveland? You are set up for failure there.

• I was always skeptical that he would work out in the NBA. He has less control of the roster and there’s a huge variety in skill level, temperament, experience etc etc on rosters. Half the roster are players with 3 years or less experience in the league, the other half are veterans of 8+ years.

With JB being a nitpicker - which was a huge part of his success at the college level - and the grind of an NBA season, I just don’t see him being successful unless he changes. And I’m not talking about his offense or Xs and Os or anything like that. I’m talking about daily operations of practice, film, game planning etc. In college, you play 2-3 games a week with a minimum of 2 days in between games. Only exceptions are the non conference tournaments, conference tournaments and NCAAs. But that’s the schedule for the whole NBA season. Back to backs, long road trips, games every other day etc.

It’s a job for the players. They’re human beings. They’re going to have on and off days. Nobody performs 100% at their job for an entire year. I don’t think managing the personalities of his players was ever a strength of JB. And in college, it’s not as big of a deal. Your players are there 4 years max and 75% are nothing close to the finished product. Most of the players don’t have a shot at the NBA and have a lot of development to go through. Easier to teach them. Whereas in the NBA, Kevin Love doesn’t have a whole lot to learn. Tristan Thompson is maxed out on potential. You can’t tell players to transfer if they don’t fit your system. Managing personalities is a huge part of the NBA coaching job as you’ve got to get the coworkers to gel and tolerate each other for 9 months out of the year.

• I think JB had it made here and I think he should have stayed at Michigan. I’m not complaining about Juwan though...he was exceeded expectations way beyond what I could have imagined. But I think JB will find himself back in the college ranks. I just hope it’s not a B1G school

This post was edited by BigWillieStyle 8 months ago

• BigWillieStyle said... (original post) I think JB had made here and I think he should have stayed at Michigan. I’m not complaining about Juwan though...he was exceeded expectation...

He said that the Cleveland job is his last job regardless of what happens. I tend to believe him. However, I assume he thought he would last at least a full season or two. If he still has the attention and buy in of most of the younger players, I think he’ll be ok because Cleveland is not contending for the playoffs anytime soon. Love, Thompson and others would be traded if a decent offer comes through.

If he came back to college, it’d have to be a decent program. He’s not going to a full rebuilding job like WVU or Michigan were when he first got there. Though if things go south for Ewing, I could see him being attracted to GTown. Don’t think he’d go out west or anywhere down south. So MW or coastal schools, I would think.

• Can’t really say I’m shocked. Wonder if location to family was a selling point? Cause of all the NBA teams, Cleveland without LeBron is arguably the worst franchise to coach.

• Coach B was on my flight from LAX to DTW this past summer, we were both in Delta Comfort (nothing special). The man was HC of the Cavs at that time and wasn't flying private or even in 1st class. Very unassuming, and I like that, but not sure that NBA players would agree.

• Man, Beilein's tenure with the Cavs is becoming a nightmare for him. It's unfortunate that a man that we all know has the highest integrity is having his name dragged through the mud. I just don't see how this gets better for him unless Cleveland starts winning and that's not going to happen anytime soon.

• ChiTownMichiganFan said... (original post)Man, Beilein's tenure with the Cavs is becoming a nightmare for him. It's unfortunate that a man that we all know has the highe...

I'm glad he isn't running away from the incident. He acknowledge how it was hurtful, even if he didn't mean it. And met with players individually, as a group and talked with the media about it. How he has interacted with players and how he has treated them in the past, and how he will going forward, will determine if he is able to keep/earn the respect of the players.

I actually think it's pretty interesting that it hasn't quite spun into some massive hysterical situation. I think that speaks to how JB handled it. He acknowledged what he was wrong, even if he misspoke and that he's committed to doing a good job going forward. I'm curious about player reactions around the league, but I haven't seen much.

• bacon1431 said... (original post)I'm glad he isn't running away from the incident. He acknowledge how it was hurtful, even if he didn't mean it. And met with player...

In the short term, I think it will be all fine. But as the loses mount, I just have a feeling this incident and the stuff earlier in the year will come back to be thrown in Coach B's face, mainly be the media. I hope it doesn't but nowadays, it usually does.

• ChiTownMichiganFan said... (original post)In the short term, I think it will be all fine. But as the loses mount, I just have a feeling this incident and the stuff earlier in the ...

I think most have done a good job talking about it (outside of the nutjobs like Stephen A). Unfortunately for JB, it’s been a tumultuous tenure thus far and he makes a mistake like this to make things harder for him.

• Coaching the Cavs is probably the worst NBA job imaginable. The owner is a grade A douche. The roster consists of whatever the heck Tristan Thompson is, Kevin Love's corpse, Dellavefuckingdova. I mean, you could hand me their entire roster and I may choose to keep 2 freaking guys. You simply can't succeed in Beilein's system with a junk roster full of guys who either can't shoot or can't move.

Plus the city sucks and their fan base is terrible.

• Sources are saying that Beilein and the Cavs are discussing the possibility of him stepping down. If this does happen, I see him returning to the college ranks where he will probably be a hot commodity.

• He def is a college coach he is not a nba coach. Same way with Saban not a nfl coach darn good college coach. But i give it to him for trying. Most pro players don’t do well with development and instruction and discipline.

• Assuming he and the Cavaliers part ways and he returns to college, the Ivy league would be a good fit. He gets ”his” type of guys and he is a hero for any trip to the dance. Then any success in the tourney, further cements his legacy in college. This also minimizes some of the recruiting issues he had going against the power five schools.

I don’t believe he can take a power five team all the way again; when you consider his age, integrity, and the one and done issues. Again, if he retires it’s a moot point.

• acer03 said... (original post)Assuming he and the Cavaliers part ways and he returns to college, the Ivy league would be a good fit. He gets ”his” type of guys and he is a hero fo...

I think an Ivy or high mid major would be where he’d be happiest. Wouldn’t have to deal with early entries, could focus on development, doesn’t have as much pressure recruiting etc. But I can’t see him taking that kind of step down. He would be one of the top candidates for every single power conference job that opens.

• its a shame.

Never wanted Coach Beilein to leave in the first place, but really loving what Coach Howard is doing here now... sometimes, you can't go back.

I'd agree that a smaller school is a smarter move for Coach B; the recruiting pressure would not be close to a blue blood, and it would be unlikely to have the constant grinder of having guys leaving after a year or two.

i had thought Texas (because expectations are low currently, and they are a very good school with great a great fanbase...and Yaklich is there), BC because its closer to home for him and its a program at a high academic school and you are much more likely to have 3-4 year players... additionally, the natural recruiting territories are old stomping grounds for Coach Beilein.

He's basically a UFA and will have his pick of jobs if he decides to coach again.

Wherever he ends up, I wish him the greatest success.

This post was edited by LabattsBleu 5 months ago

• He made a suicidal career move out of a disdain for the current trends in DI basketball, i.e., recruiting grind, and one and done mentality, lack of loyalty to the program when he was clinging to stay true to the university that gave him an opportunity. I think most saw this coming, but nobody thought it would be THIS quick. Given his health issues, apparent family concerns, and age, I would expect him to retire, or take on an advisory role in an athletic dept. (Michigan or other) next year.

• The irony is all the reasons he was getting frustrated with college ball, and the NBA is worse. No loyalty on either side, all individualistic play and attitude, and players going year to year on decisions. It’s a mess and it will implode on itself eventually. Sad thing is JB really hurt whatever career he has left

• Smh he should have Never went to the cavs of all places! Lol

• JB would always need to adjust more for the NBA. His attention to detail is second to none. But it is hard to expect everybody to keep up that same type of effort for 82 games. Playoff time? Sure. But the regular season is a grind and players need to stay fresh. His approach is great for college because it's a much shorter season and you can expect the intensity game in and game out because that's what the format requires. NBA doesn't. It's much different.

• The worst run team in the NBA gave the most detail oriented, most sophisticated offensive mind in basketball a matter of months to fix their abortion of a franchise. Dan Gilbert is a complete douche who knows about as much as Martha Ford about running a professional sports team. You give retreads months, you don't give someone like JB months. Now they have Andre Drummond, so at least we can all sleep well knowing they are never going anywhere.