Coach B to the cavs

Coach B to the cavs

• Wowwwww

• Discussion
  • cjgoblue said... (original post)

Wowwwww

I didn’t see that one coming. But with all the departures and him testing waters last year it makes sense. Gonna miss him!

This post was edited by Bamatigerfan48 8 months ago

• I don't even know what to say. Completely out of left field.

• Wow. Huge blow to the program. Time to sit back and wait for the transfers

• The run was fun while it lasted.

• BooneWolverine said... (original post)

Wow. Huge blow to the program. Time to sit back and wait for the transfers

yep mass exodus coming now. We won’t hire an elite coach prob b an assistant coach. Recruiting will now b nonexistent and we will go back to nonexistence. Oh well.

• Weird. Coach B and the NBA seem like a strange couple. Especially the Cavs for some reason.
    At this age of his career, maybe he just wants to try it and then retire?

I don't know that it means our program is taking a step backwards. I'll actually be interested to see what recruiting happens.
    Coach B liked a specific type of guy and had some unique recruiting methods. It could honestly open up to some better "recruits"
    ...just a matter if we can make them fit and coach them up.

• Chris Beard... how much cash you want?

• Total shocker. Everyone involved kept this more secretive than the Mueller report. I will wish coach B nothing but the best and wish him luck because he’s gonna need it going to the Cavaliers. Although Stauskas is still there I believe. From what I’ve been reading, Manuel has been thinking John would bolt if he got another chance at the NBA and thus has been preparing which I’m assuming maybe Yaklich will be the HC?

• Bamatigerfan48 said... (original post)

yep mass exodus coming now. We won’t hire an elite coach prob b an assistant coach. Recruiting will now b nonexistent and we will go back to nonexistence. Oh well.

The assistants are far better recruiters than JB has ever been. I am actually fine with an assistant taking over, unless you can get a top tier coach like Chris Beard. But I don't see that happening.

• Sad day for UM hoops. Coach B put us back on the map so hopefully this job is viewed favorably by high profile coaches.

• Happy for him. Coaching in the NBA is a dream and a different challenge. He did about all he could do at Michigan while getting minimal support. Not saying he wasn't appreciated, but he went above and beyond with integrity, compliance and winning at a high level. He doesn't come off as a guy who would complain, but it has to suck a little to be 2nd fiddle to a football program that hasn't accomplished a sliver of what he has with the hoops program.

• BigHouseMagic said... (original post)

Sad day for UM hoops. Coach B put us back on the map so hopefully this job is viewed favorably by high profile coaches.

Oh, I think this job is viewed favorably. It's more of a matter of if this athletic department is willing to treat this program better than they have in the past. They give blind faith and a blank checkbook to the football program that hasn't achieved a damn thing in 15 years, so let's see if they plan to keep the hoops program at an elevated level or allow it to go back in the tank.

• ChiTownMichiganFan said... (original post)

Total shocker. Everyone involved kept this more secretive than the Mueller report. I will wish coach B nothing but the best and wish him luck because he’s gonna need it going to the Cavaliers. Although Stauskas is still there I believe. From what I’ve been reading, Manuel has been thinking John would bolt if he got another chance at the NBA and thus has been preparing which I’m assuming maybe Yaklich will be the HC?

I think Yaklich makes some sense since he pretty much ran the defense.

• A lot of emotions on this one. First because its a shock, and two because of the uncertainty going forward. Lots of love for JB, I hated his offensive schemes at time (no need to rehash old arguments here), but the man did a lot of great things here. Took our dormant, lifeless program and brought it back to a B10 and National player. I am praying the AD does this right and gets somebody who can recruit and keep this going. I'm scared we will go cheap and fall back into the depth of one of the toughest conferences in the country. But I will continue to tip my hat to JB. Great person on/off the court and the best BBall coach we have ever had.

Build on this, please for the love of pete, build on this!

• corby78 said... (original post)

A lot of emotions on this one. First because its a shock, and two because of the uncertainty going forward. Lots of love for JB, I hated his offensive schemes at time (no need to rehash old arguments here), but the man did a lot of great things here. Took our dormant, lifeless program and brought it back to a B10 and National player. I am praying the AD does this right and gets somebody who can recruit and keep this going. I'm scared we will go cheap and fall back into the depth of one of the toughest conferences in the country. But I will continue to tip my hat to JB. Great person on/off the court and the best BBall coach we have ever had.

Build on this, please for the love of pete, build on this!

This next hire is critical. He has to be a coach that can not only pick up where JB left off but also take us to the next level(winning a NC). The good news is that coach B has made Michigan a very desirable destination and we should have a good pool of candidates to choose from. But it still comes down to Warde making the right hire or we could fall back into the dark times pre-Beilein.

• I say this tongue in cheek (a little) but I keep reading re: Juwan Howard that he has no recruiting experience but if I recall the 30 for 30 on the Fab Five, he was one heck of a recruiter as a HS'er!

Anyway, assuming that doesn't happen, nor Stevens or Donovan leave the NBA, who's your pick between these 3?

Yaklich - does he have the moxy to be a HC?
    Saddi - does he have what it takes in the x/o's?
    Laval - (assuming we could get him from Butler) but his HC record hasn't been that great?

• So does anyone think JB will work with the Cavs? Since he is gone, I hope him the best, but I just have this bad feeling this isn't going to go well. First NBA isn't NCAA, its a different game. Second the Cavs have little to no talent. Third dealing with NBA players isn't the same as college kids.

On the positive side, the NBA has turned into a 3 point shooting contest, so that plays into his favor.

• corby78 said... (original post)

So does anyone think JB will work with the Cavs? Since he is gone, I hope him the best, but I just have this bad feeling this isn't going to go well. First NBA isn't NCAA, its a different game. Second the Cavs have little to no talent. Third dealing with NBA players isn't the same as college kids.

On the positive side, the NBA has turned into a 3 point shooting contest, so that plays into his favor.

I’m with you being skeptical about coach B having success in the NBA for the reasons you stated. But a few things could happen that would increase his success chances like landing Williamson. Also, he’s in a very weak division aside from the Bucks. Wishing coach B the best though.

• BigHouseMagic said... (original post)

Sad day for UM hoops. Coach B put us back on the map so hopefully this job is viewed favorably by high profile coaches.

As a Buckeye I have to add that it is a sad day for the BIG.. Coaches[people] like him tend to raise the bar and thus make all have to work harder.. Vast amount of respect for him and I hope its echoed from other Buckeyes.. As for the Cavs.. They at least have a coach that's a winner! I wish him the best

• :(

This sucks.

Ah well, let's see who we get.

• ChiTownMichiganFan said... (original post)

I’m with you being skeptical about coach B having success in the NBA for the reasons you stated. But a few things could happen that would increase his success chances like landing Williamson. Also, he’s in a very weak division aside from the Bucks. Wishing coach B the best though.

I actually think he would have been a better NBA hire 10 years ago when he was ahead of the curve on spreading out on offense. Now, that’s what everybody does so he’s a little less unique. The Cavs are young, so that’s the only thing I can see letting him have a decent tenure there. I think he’d be a bad hire for a veteran team. But even with the young team, I have my doubts. Gonna need some NBA vet coaches and someone to help him with defense.

• Real fork in the road for the program right now. There is a potential upgrade from Coach B in Billy Donovan. That would be a coup. Otherwise, I’m feeling the next hire will be a net negative. But that just goes to show how well JB has done here.

My realistic candidates:
    1. Billy Donovan
    2. Chris Beard
    3. Steve Prohm
    4. Yaklich

Someone like Wojokowski wouldn’t thrill me, but at the end of the day it wouldn’t be a disaster.

Tough decisions. Would be great if we could pull a coup like OSU did in getting Holtmann. But idk who that candidate is.

• My issue is if you knew you wanted the NBA then don’t sign a contract extension and mislead players. John just shot us the middle finger and I’m firing it back. Says he was watching the playoffs and thinks it would be fun... Dude you won’t sniff the playoffs in Cleveland. So bye. No well wishes, thanks for nothing, hopefully we’ll find our Coach K that loves our kids and our program.

• royal12 said... (original post)

My issue is if you knew you wanted the NBA then don’t sign a contract extension and mislead players. John just shot us the middle finger and I’m firing it back. Says he was watching the playoffs and thinks it would be fun... Dude you won’t sniff the playoffs in Cleveland. So bye. No well wishes, thanks for nothing, hopefully we’ll find our Coach K that loves our kids and our program.

Step off the ledge. John, like most people that are very high in their profession, is competitive and wants to compete at a high level. Why wouldn’t he sign an extension with Michigan? It made recruiting a bit easier at Michigan and he gets a bigger buyout in case they want to can him. It’s a very logical decision. He also cited the NCAA and NBA rules making it hard for college coaches. Which is totally fair. He’s tired of competing on an uneven playing field by following the rules.

John Beilein gave us a lot of great memories. He rebuilt the program when it was incredibly mediocre and very forgetful. Took us to the cusp of a national title twice. Whoever takes over will have a program in solid shape. It sucks that he’s left, but this is what happens. Hell, Pitino left freaking Kentucky. Someone as good as Coach K staying in college is a massive aberration. Good luck finding a coach like that.