Coach B to the cavs

Coach B to the cavs

• BigTenPhan said... (original post)

Even if it's not the case, folks will be running with the narrative that "Cooley turned down Michigan to stay at Providence". I mean, if we actually had a national search for legit coaches, this wouldn't happen. But we have lazy ass Warde Manuel and we will end up with a freaking assistant that isn't qualified, or a "name" like Howard that has no experience.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Harbaugh steps in and makes Manuel buyout Tom Crean. Fucking circus.

Just curious, who exactly are these proven national coaches you're wanting him to interview? Who's on your list?

• LLBlueJ said... (original post)

Just curious, who exactly are these proven national coaches you're wanting him to interview? Who's on your list?

Well, first of all, it's not my job. Manuel is paid very well to be on top of this and not settle for some assistant or guy who has never coached. Anyone and everyone should be on the table if the University is serious about the program. Pick your poison. Do you like Smart, Marshall, Wright, Beard, Bennett.. We have the biggest alumni base, one of the biggest boosters in the land and are one of the richest Universities. Why the hell are we talking about Lavall Jordan or Yaklich??? There are proven good coaches out there.

Hell, I would rather take Chris Collins from Northwestern than the list of guys we are looking at. He's coaching at perhaps the hardest basketball school in the entire big ten and still has a way of out scheming some of the best coaches in the big ten from time to time.

All I am saying is prove you fucking care. This list of coaching candidates does everything but show me you are conducting a national search or even breaking a damn sweat.

Well, first of all, it's not my job. Manuel is paid very well to be on top of this and not settle for some assistant or guy who has never coached. Anyone and everyone should be on the table if the University is serious about the program. Pick your poison. Do you like Smart, Marshall, Wright, Beard, Bennett.. We have the biggest alumni base, one of the biggest boosters in the land and are one of the richest Universities. Why the hell are we talking about Lavall Jordan or Yaklich??? There are proven good coaches out there.

Hell, I would rather take Chris Collins from Northwestern than the list of guys we are looking at. He's coaching at perhaps the hardest basketball school in the entire big ten and still has a way of out scheming some of the best coaches in the big ten from time to time.

All I am saying is prove you fucking care. This list of coaching candidates does everything but show me you are conducting a national search or even breaking a damn sweat.

While I would like to see some bigger names as well, nothing is guaranteed when it comes to coaches. There have been some really good coaches that went to big programs and failed miserably. Then there have been coaches that no one wanted but turned out to be fantastic hires. I remember a big part of our fan base wanted to run Beilein out of town his first few years and now those same fans were crying about him leaving.

If you would take Collins over Howard, Yak or Cooley, then I think you’re off your rocker. I’d take Jordan and Washington over Collins. He’s a bad, bad coach IMO. Impressed he got N’W to the tournament, but since then, he’s been absolutely terrible.

As for the national candidates, I think we can all assume that a feeler was put out to all the Tier A candidates. But other than Donovan, I don’t’ think we had a chance in hell with any of them. Wright and Bennett have job security for life. Same with Beard. Marshall is funded by the Koch brothers. They have unlimited funds to keep him and he could miss the tournament for the next 5 years and still be the coach.

The pool is not as big as we’d like to think. Smart and Howard are not bad candidates. They’re not ideal, but they’re not bad. I’m surprised we haven’t heard from more quality mid major coaches (Matt McMahon, Jeff Jones, Scott Nagy etc), but they might be below Smart and Howard on the list.

I’m not a huge fan of Warde, but I think you’re overreacting.

Are you positive that they didn't reach out to someone like Wright or Bennett? And that they'd even want that public?

I mean, in a previous post you were whining that it may APPEAR like Cooley backed off on us. How would that look if we sent out an "offer" to all the proven coaches out there and then ALL of them turn us down? That'd look pretty stupid IMO.

I'd rather not take a guy like Marshall who's about as psychotic as it gets on the sideline. Or Chris Collins? Are you kidding me? He's 40–70 (.364) in the Big Ten. Losing seasons in 4 of 6 years. Uuuhh that's your "don't be lazy" name to throw in the ring? No thanks.

• Chris Collins. lol

This post was edited by Detroit7Wolverine 8 months ago

• Well it looks like we about to hire juwan howard!goblue

• cjgoblue said... (original post)

Well it looks like we about to hire juwan howard!goblue

I’m good with this. It’s not like he is some ex player who just finished his career and is being handed a HC job. The man has paid his dues for 6 years and there’s a reason why his name keeps coming up for HC positions in the NBA. It will be interesting what his philosophies are like what kind of offense and defense he plays. Anyone know?

Are you positive that they didn't reach out to someone like Wright or Bennett? And that they'd even want that public?

I mean, in a previous post you were whining that it may APPEAR like Cooley backed off on us. How would that look if we sent out an "offer" to all the proven coaches out there and then ALL of them turn us down? That'd look pretty stupid IMO.

I'd rather not take a guy like Marshall who's about as psychotic as it gets on the sideline. Or Chris Collins? Are you kidding me? He's 40–70 (.364) in the Big Ten. Losing seasons in 4 of 6 years. Uuuhh that's your "don't be lazy" name to throw in the ring? No thanks.

I'm not saying I WANT Collins. I was just stating that our search is/was not a national search and all options should be on the table. There is probably no harder place in the "power 5" type conferences to win basketball games than at Northwestern. They have the worst history of any team in the entire nation. Calipari and Coach K couldn't win half their games if they coached at NW. That's all I am saying and yes, Collins is a good X's and O's guy, no matter what you think. He wouldn't be in my top 25 choices, but he would be above Jordan and Howard and Yaklich who have accomplished nothing in their careers.

If you think Collins is bad with his .513 winning percentage, you should take a peek at Lavall Jordan who is .466 in his head coaching career and he coaches at Butler that has a pretty rich basketball history and is much easier to recruit at. You should also take a look at Howard and his .000 coaching record and his ZERO recruits landed in his career and his ZERO history of hiring assistants and his ZERO track record at anything college basketball related.

I just think the whole "Michigan Man" thing is lame AF. This so-called "national search" seems to have included Cooley (kind of) then a guy who was an assistant at Michigan for a bit, a guy who is a current assistant at Michigan and a guy who played at Michigan like 27 years ago and has no experience at anything at the college level. It doesn't get much lazier than that. If the University and athletic department really gave a rats ass about the hoops program than any coach would and should be on the table, regardless of money. I don't think this is the case.

This post was edited by BigTenPhan 8 months ago

• ChiTownMichiganFan said... (original post)

I’m good with this. It’s not like he is some ex player who just finished his career and is being handed a HC job. The man has paid his dues for 6 years and there’s a reason why his name keeps coming up for HC positions in the NBA. It will be interesting what his philosophies are like what kind of offense and defense he plays. Anyone know?

Nobody knows his philosophy because he has never coached. He is an assistant in a totally different sport basically. The NBA and NCAA have very little in common. He doesn't have 1 day of experience in recruiting, hiring, or head coaching. Maybe this will end up working somehow, but this is probably the riskiest hire I could imagine. It baffles me that the last hire (Beilein) was someone with decades of coaching experience and a ton of success at every stop who happened to become the best coach in Michigan basketball history and now we are looking to replacing him with someone from the Ed Martin scandal era who has a blank resume at this level.

This post was edited by BigTenPhan 8 months ago

I'm not saying I WANT Collins. I was just stating that our search is/was not a national search and all options should be on the table. There is probably no harder place in the "power 5" type conferences to win basketball games than at Northwestern. They have the worst history of any team in the entire nation. Calipari and Coach K couldn't win half their games if they coached at NW. That's all I am saying and yes, Collins is a good X's and O's guy, no matter what you think. He wouldn't be in my top 25 choices, but he would be above Jordan and Howard and Yaklich who have accomplished nothing in their careers.

If you think Collins is bad with his .513 winning percentage, you should take a peek at Lavall Jordan who is .466 in his head coaching career and he coaches at Butler that has a pretty rich basketball history and is much easier to recruit at. You should also take a look at Howard and his .000 coaching record and his ZERO recruits landed in his career and his ZERO history of hiring assistants and his ZERO track record at anything college basketball related.

I just think the whole "Michigan Man" thing is lame AF. This so-called "national search" seems to have included Cooley (kind of) then a guy who was an assistant at Michigan for a bit, a guy who is a current assistant at Michigan and a guy who played at Michigan like 27 years ago and has no experience at anything at the college level. It doesn't get much lazier than that. If the University and athletic department really gave a rats ass about the hoops program than any coach would and should be on the table, regardless of money. I don't think this is the case.

So by that theory, a guy with a record of 1-1000 has "accomplished" more and knows more and is a better option than Howard simply because he wore a "Head Coach" hat instead of an assistant hat, right? Ironically Chris Collins was an assistant all his life until he got the NW job...

Which, I'd probably put Jordan on par with Chris Collins for the most part. Both were great assistants on great teams, went "home" as HC's and aren't putting up the best results. I think Jordan is still TBD though. Collins - not so much.

Again - I'm curious because I truly don't know. How do you know what their "search" entailed? I can't imagine everything public is what goes on. And you may want to pin it on Warde, which is fair, but I'd like to know what kind of $$$ he's been told he can spend. Once you start taking out blueblood coaches, slimy coaches, old coaches, coaches that would be a terrible fit, and coaches that are already making good money, the pickings get pretty rocky.

Nobody knows his philosophy because he has never coached. He is an assistant in a totally different sport basically. The NBA and NCAA have very little in common. He doesn't have 1 day of experience in recruiting, hiring, or head coaching. Maybe this will end up working somehow, but this is probably the riskiest hire I could imagine. It baffles me that the last hire (Beilein) was someone with decades of coaching experience and a ton of success at every stop who happened to become the best coach in Michigan basketball history and now we are looking to replacing him with someone from the Ed Martin scandal era who has a blank resume at this level.

Here’s a novel idea: how about giving someone a chance before slamming them? Howard could turn out to be a bad hire. Or he could be a great hire. No one knows including you. But you seem to THINK you know how it’s going to turnout because of some magical crystal ball that tells the future that no one else has except you? What are you going to do if Howard is indeed named HC, bitch and moan his whole tenure? Hope he fails? You can say whatever you want but it seems a bit ridiculous being so upset about something that hasn’t even happened yet.

So by that theory, a guy with a record of 1-1000 has "accomplished" more and knows more and is a better option than Howard simply because he wore a "Head Coach" hat instead of an assistant hat, right? Ironically Chris Collins was an assistant all his life until he got the NW job...

Which, I'd probably put Jordan on par with Chris Collins for the most part. Both were great assistants on great teams, went "home" as HC's and aren't putting up the best results. I think Jordan is still TBD though. Collins - not so much.

Again - I'm curious because I truly don't know. How do you know what their "search" entailed? I can't imagine everything public is what goes on. And you may want to pin it on Warde, which is fair, but I'd like to know what kind of $$$ he's been told he can spend. Once you start taking out blueblood coaches, slimy coaches, old coaches, coaches that would be a terrible fit, and coaches that are already making good money, the pickings get pretty rocky.

That's kind of my point. The University of Michigan has the ability to write blank checks to whomever they want. If (by all signs) we are limited to going after first time coaches, assistants and other lower level guys, then that tells us that the University and athletic department still treats the hoops program like a red headed step child. I guess that's not a shocker, but it's frustrating nonetheless. If they were interested in some of the BIG names out there, I think it would be known. The fact that it looks like we contacted Cooley and it ended up in him getting a raise isn't a great look (not that I wanted him anyway).

What also drives me crazy is that there were talks of Harbaugh having a "lifetime contract" while he still hasn't accomplished anything. Not a playoff game. Not a single win against your rival. Not a conference title. Not even a conference title appearance. Then you have Beilein, who is the best hoops coach in the entire history of the program. Dude hung numerous conference title banners, multiple final four banners and multiple BTT banners and they let him walk and are searching for unproven guys to replace him.

I dunno, I hope Howard works out. It will be interesting to see if he is able to take recruiting to the next level, and he will need to because there's no doubt he will have some major hurdles to overcome when it comes to following Beilein and X's and O's.

Here’s a novel idea: how about giving someone a chance before slamming them? Howard could turn out to be a bad hire. Or he could be a great hire. No one knows including you. But you seem to THINK you know how it’s going to turnout because of some magical crystal ball that tells the future that no one else has except you? What are you going to do if Howard is indeed named HC, bitch and moan his whole tenure? Hope he fails? You can say whatever you want but it seems a bit ridiculous being so upset about something that hasn’t even happened yet.

Sorry, but I think being skeptical is totally warranted in this case. I never slammed him, so stop with that nonsense. This isn't your local YMCA youth basketball league. This is big time college hoops. I don't think it's wise to just "take a shot and give someone a chance". You need to get this right, or we go back to the Ellerbe days where there were 75 people in Crisler.

Also, I never said it's a "bad hire". I said it is a very risky hire, and it is. There is literally no track record at all here. You would be going from the most stable, respected head coach to absolutely no clue. Of course I will root for him. I'm a huge fan of Howard as a player and how he handled himself as a person and I hope he brings in some elite talent and transforms college hoops. I just think we were put in a better position by Beilein (who was a head coach for like 45 years) to be taking fliers on first timers who haven't even been an assistant coach for a single game at the college level.

• The idea that Michigan writes blank checks for basketball is just ridiculous. JB didn't even make $4 million a year. JB had to campaign hard for his assistants to get raises last year. The football team gets essentially blank checks because that's where the boosters are willing to put their money and the football program generates a vast majority of the revenue for the athletic department.

Look at the salaries for coaches in football and basketball across the country. Matt Campbell at Iowa St made about the same money as JB. Matt Campbell has barely accomplished anything in terms of trophies. And he's at Iowa St. Steve Prohm at Iowa St makes $2million a year. In 2018, there were 24 football coaches making $4million+ a year. In basketball, there were 6. JB was the 10th highest paid coach (and deservedly so) and made $3.8 million a year. Izzo made less than Dantonio and Izzo has 8 Final Fours and 9 conference titles in the regular season. Dantonio has 3. In NCAAF, there are 13 coaches making $5 million +. NCAAB - 2 (Calipari and Coach K).

The idea that we would pay a basketball coach $6-10 million is not realistic. The only coaches worth that are Donovan, Stevens, Wright, Bennett, Coach K, Calipari, Roy Williams, Izzo and Bill Self. Those are the only coaches that could be argued are upgrades over JB. And our chances with all of them were about 0. Donovan was the only realistic candidate and it wasn't even close to a good chance. It depended on his lack of job security in the NBA.

The next tier of coaches: Barnes, Smart, Marshall, Kruger etc are not upgrades over JB and made just about what he did. They also come with hefty buyouts and would want a pay raise.

Is it a risk to hire Howard? Absolutely. But it's not like he's unqualified. His adjustment will depend significantly on his assistants. I'm sure he'll be looking for some with college experience. And for the amount of money we'll pay him vs the other rumored candidates, I am more than fine with taking the risk.

• Well, Michigan just offered Howard the job and I’d be surprised if he turns it down. His wife seems pretty confident he will be the next U-M head coach. So there you go...

• Coach howard agreed to 5 yrs to be our head bball coachgoblue i think we will get jalen wilson back now!

• cjgoblue said... (original post)

Coach howard agreed to 5 yrs to be our head bball coachgoblue i think we will get jalen wilson back now!

This would be the first sign of this being a good hire. Also, while I didn't care for the process and don't think they conducted a thorough search, I am very interested and excited to see how this works out.

I hope people, including myself, don't expect too much next year. This roster took a hit and there is always transition with a new staff. I think they can and should still make the dance with the talent they have, but we shouldn't be expecting banners right away.

Ok, enough talk, go start recruiting, Juwan!! :)

This would be the first sign of this being a good hire. Also, while I didn't care for the process and don't think they conducted a thorough search, I am very interested and excited to see how this works out.

I hope people, including myself, don't expect too much next year. This roster took a hit and there is always transition with a new staff. I think they can and should still make the dance with the talent they have, but we shouldn't be expecting banners right away.

Ok, enough talk, go start recruiting, Juwan!! :)

I myself am not expecting much for next year as far as W/L’s. 3 of the best players are gone and while we have talent, I’m not exactly sure how the current players fit in with whatever system Juwan is going to implement. I’m seeing something around .500. Obviously, would love to be better. But I do think this gives us a really good chance to get Wilson back and then I’m curious to see how recruits. And he totally understands our rivalries with Sparty and OSU. Go Blue!

• While there is risk here, I’m glad we are swinging for a home run. I was scared we were going to go safe with very little upside. JH may fail, but with connections to the school, NBA, and known name were not going safe, we’re trying to play with the big dogs. I hope everyone gives him time, he will have a learning curve with a lot of this, and our roster is not as strong right now. Now put the banner back up

• corby78 said... (original post)

While there is risk here, I’m glad we are swinging for a home run. I was scared we were going to go safe with very little upside. JH may fail, but with connections to the school, NBA, and known name were not going safe, we’re trying to play with the big dogs. I hope everyone gives him time, he will have a learning curve with a lot of this, and our roster is not as strong right now. Now put the banner back up

Oh damn! Both our HC’s have the same initials now lol!

• corby78 said... (original post)

While there is risk here, I’m glad we are swinging for a home run. I was scared we were going to go safe with very little upside. JH may fail, but with connections to the school, NBA, and known name were not going safe, we’re trying to play with the big dogs. I hope everyone gives him time, he will have a learning curve with a lot of this, and our roster is not as strong right now. Now put the banner back up

Yep. We don’t know a ton about his Xs and Os on offense. Defense should be good. I’m glad we have three upperclassmen to help. Retaining a coach or two would go a long way as well

• bacon1431 said... (original post)

Yep. We don’t know a ton about his Xs and Os on offense. Defense should be good. I’m glad we have three upperclassmen to help. Retaining a coach or two would go a long way as well

To me, Yaklich seems to make the most sense in retaining since I believe the strength of the team next year with the current roster would be on defense. But I’m not sure if Howard believes in a defensive coordinator for basketball like Beilein did. And maybe the ship has sailed with Yaklich since I know Texas is still pursing him. I admit I really don’t know Yaklich’s value beyond his defense. But yeah, I would think retaining a current assistant would be idea. I’d probably go with Saddi.

To me, Yaklich seems to make the most sense in retaining since I believe the strength of the team next year with the current roster would be on defense. But I’m not sure if Howard believes in a defensive coordinator for basketball like Beilein did. And maybe the ship has sailed with Yaklich since I know Texas is still pursing him. I admit I really don’t know Yaklich’s value beyond his defense. But yeah, I would think retaining a current assistant would be idea. I’d probably go with Saddi.

I think we could get Yak to stay another year at least. His kid is a senior in Saline IiRC, so he would probably prefer to stick around for that. Howard was the main defensive coach for the Heat. I’m sure he runs a different defense than Yak. But position coaches in football have to change their philosophy and techniques a bit every time they’re under a new OC or DC, so maybe Yak can adjust to whatever Howard runs.

I like all three of our assistants so any of them staying is fine with me. I would think Howard would keep at least one. Which one? Who knows.