Ill vs UM

Ill vs UM

• Ill favored in this game. Yeah its a B10 road game but a little surprising. won't be easy, B10 road games never are.

• Discussion
  • I’ve been seeing some interesting lines lately. PSU was favored vs Maryland yesterday...and they beat the Terrapins.

• I don’t see why Illinois is favored...but whatever

• I don’t think a road team has won yet in conference play. Hope we are the first.

• When we handed the starting lineups to the officials, people thought Austin Davis was starting. Officials thought it said “51” not “55”. Martello had to convince the officials that he did write 55 lol

• Illinois’ freshman center is a big boy. I’m impressed with him. BUt he’s struggling with the pace so far.

• I swear, we have had butterfingers all year. I don’t remember losing so many passes or just not catching the ball

• Illinois has three fouls. We have 0. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that this late in a half before.

Now the refs will over correct in the second half and both teams will be in the double bonus after 8 minutes.

• rebounding is really the difference right now. Get that under control and were fine

• corby78 said... (original post) rebounding is really the difference right now. Get that under control and were fine

Yeah, Illinois has almost all their in the paints. 26 second chance points. That’s insane. Didn’t always feel like it, but that tells me we actually played good defense. But give up an offensive board means you’re probably giving up a layup as well.

One possession, one shot. That’s the attitude for defense in the second half.

On offense, I think we’re actually doing ok. Just need to hit our shots. Looks have been good and mostly within the flow of the offense (outside 2-3 of them). Just haven’t hit them.

• 1:39 into the second half and they’ve already called us for more fouls than we had in the entire first half. Ugh.

• Refs have been a joke this half.

Still allowing offensive boards and layups.

• Howard’s rotations have been really odd tonight. Sat Simpson almost the entire final four minutes of the first half. First half he rotated Teske out when he should have kept him in when Cockburn cheeked in. Sat Teske after picking up his first foul. Castleton got called for three tricky tack fouls but Howard kept Teske on the bench for a long time. Nunez getting minutes...

Real odd game.

• Yuck. Really awful second half on both ends of the floor. Way the refs have called the second half hasn’t helped, but we’re making it easy on Illinois.

• yeah this is probably my first "disappointing" game for this team. (which is not a bad thing) I honestly understand Wagner has a lot of potential, and maybe JH feels on the floor is the fastest way to get him there, but man I would rather see more DeJulious and have wagner off the bench. I"m sure he likes wagners length, but he just isn't doing a lot IMO. Still ahead of the expected curve for the year.

• corby78 said... (original post) yeah this is probably my first "disappointing" game for this team. (which is not a bad thing) I honestly understand Wagner has a lot of p...

His defense has been good. Deflects a ton of balls. Just needs to start hitting shots and hanging onto the ball. Not sure how much the wrist injury has affected him there.

But he’s also been a bit unlucky. He was coming off an injury and his first games are. Iowa St-UNC-Gonzaga-Louisville-Iowa-Illinois-Oregon. No chance to figure out. After the Oregon, we’ve got a couple cupcakes, so hopefully he’ll get settled then.

• Woof. Gotta forget this one before Oregon comes to town.

B1G home teams are 10-0 so far.

• At this point I am wondering if Wagner is going to start getting gun shy. Dude got a bunch of wide open looks and just throwing up brick after brick. He does pretty well in perimeter defense, but he and Castleton get taken to the rack with ease.
    When they started the 2nd half by calling like 6 straight fouls on Michigan, I was hoping to see some emotion/passion out of Howard. At least let the refs know you are concerned. You don't have to go full melt down like Izzo, but come on, man. Show the players you have their back. A few of those calls were terrible, too.

Overall, the whole team has been sloppy pretty much the whole year. We are 0-2 in true road games. We are also completely screwed at center next year. My 3 year old daughter could back Castleton down and dunk on him.

• Don’t forget Teske started undersized too. I’m hoping castleton can add some weight. I’m still in favor of Davis seeing more time, he may be a more limited outside but he is better in the paint where we really need him

• corby78 said... (original post) Don’t forget Teske started undersized too. I’m hoping castleton can add some weight. I’m still in favor of Davis seeing more time, he may be a more ...

I'm not worried about Castleton long term. He's more Moe than he is a traditional big man. I think his game down low will develop more as he gets stronger and gets more tutelage from Howard.

I just didn't understand Howard's rotation last night. In the first half, when Cockburn went out, I thought Teske should have went out as well. Then brought in around the time Cockburn went in. There was a stretch in the second half where Teske was out for 5 minutes. Castleton got destroyed during that time, to no fault of his own. Cockburn is almost 300 pounds. Needed to try Davis or bring Teske back in. Teske played 30 minutes, but I thought those minutes could have been better utilized.