Michigan from unranked to #4

Michigan from unranked to #4

• Ties a record for biggest jump for unranked team.

I'm still in shock that we're so good so early under Juwan Howard so I'm prepared for a slip somewhere soon. Still, monumental achievement by this team and Howard is looking to have proven all the Fab 5 lovers right in short order!

• Discussion
  • The best part is state was looking at a 1v3 game vs Duke, now it’s us in the top game vs Louisville lol

• pretty amazing jump... i know some of it was due to the uncertainty with Coach Howard, but funny how much backpedaling there has been: Simpson and Teske were definitely stars but Livers was more of a 6th man who was a bit inconsistent iirc... No one though DDJ and Brooks were much of anything though...

• Deserved. Two top 10 wins and two quality wins against Iowa St and Creighton. Nobody has our resume, that’s for sure.

• LabattsBleu said... (original post) pretty amazing jump... i know some of it was due to the uncertainty with Coach Howard, but funny how much backpedaling there has been: Simpson ...

I've been a huge fan of Zavier, Teske and Livers as well (in fact I've often wondered why Livers wasn't already a superstar given his size, athleticism and stroke). However, I'll admit that I didn't buy the hype on DDJ or Brooks and felt that our inability to field a strong five would give us a ceiling likely around a 5 or 6 seed.

Early returns are that I was dead wrong and couldn't be more happy about it :D

• Well EARNED. Can’t say that about a lot of the teams. Tomorrow will be a big test. While I think Louisville is overrated(just their #1 ranking, not that I think they are bad), it will still be a very tough test.

• ChiTownMichiganFan said... (original post) Well EARNED. Can’t say that about a lot of the teams. Tomorrow will be a big test. While I think Louisville is overrated(just their #1 r...

Louisville is a tough place to play. They haven’t played anybody yet, so it’ll be interesting for both teams. I’m expecting a loss because it’s tough to beat top 25 teams on the road no matter who you are.

• bacon1431 said... (original post) Louisville is a tough place to play. They haven’t played anybody yet, so it’ll be interesting for both teams. I’m expecting a loss because it’s t...

Me too. While obviously I don’t want to lose, I do want to see how this team bounces back after a loss. Everything has been so perfect with this team that I’m curious to see what happens when we hit some adversity. Do we allow it to turn into a losing streak or do we learn and become better? I’m betting on the latter because I have seen how this team bounces back from adversity within the game itself. I think Howard does a terrific job in making adjustments as well.

• tjking82 said... (original post) I've been a huge fan of Zavier, Teske and Livers as well (in fact I've often wondered why Livers wasn't already a superstar given h...

to be clear, the backpedaling comment was about the national media leaving Michigan unranked and not any posters.

Howard was an unknown to everyone... it was a swing for the fences that some here loved, others were unsure and lastly a group that didn't like the hire at all.

All three of those groups are thrilled with the hire now, as it should be...

• This is amazing...I thought we’d be a team similar to 2011 or 2016...but what a job this staff has done with Jon Teske

• Teske is making himself into a lottery pick. Big 7 footer who blocks shots and shoots threes? The NBA likes that stuff

• corby78 said... (original post) Teske is making himself into a lottery pick. Big 7 footer who blocks shots and shoots threes? The NBA likes that stuff

I think lottery pick is vastly stretching it. How many senior big men are drafted in the lottery? If the draft were tomorrow, he would be picked. Before the season I think it he was probably going to be undrafted but a chance to make a roster.

Seniors drafted in the lottery in the last 10 years

2019 - Cam Johnson

2018 - none

2017 - none

2016 - Buddy Hield, Taurean Prince, Denzel Valentine

2015 - Frank Kaminsky

2014 - Doug McDermott

2013 - CJ McCollum

2012 - none

2011 - Jimmer Fredette

2010 - none

Only one center in that group in Kaminksy and he was more skilled offensively than Teske is. He was a 42% shooter from deep, with volume, his senior year. Teske is a 33% type shooter with low volume. Teske has developed well this offseason. Last year, he looked very uncomfortable with a guard on him in the post. This year, he looks great, making jump hooks over other post players.

• Could be a GREAT year for Big Ten basketball! Apparently Juan can coach!

• bacon1431 said... (original post) I think lottery pick is vastly stretching it. How many senior big men are drafted in the lottery? If the draft were tomorrow, he would be picked. ...

Yeah, don’t see Teske being a lottery pick. I think he would be estatic to get picked in the 2nd round. But he works so well with this team. What do you think about Livers? I think he’s raised his stock a ton and he is the type of player the NBA loves. I’m not saying a lottery pick, but he’s playing himself into the first round IMO.