NCAA Tournament Thread

NCAA Tournament Thread

• I like our shot to win the first two. Blown away we got a 2, wonder if they gave that to us while we were winning and thought we would be B10 champs. Oh well. Montana doesn’t bother me, and while Nevada is not an easy out, I think we get through. Florida could be a wild card, they played some good teams tough.

• Discussion
  • Looking around the B1G, I think it's gonna be a rough tournament. Here is where I have B1G teams bowing out:

MSU - Elite 8 v Duke
    Michigan - Sweet 16 v Texas Tech
    Wisconsin - Sweet 16 v Kansas St
    Purdue - 2nd Round v Villanova
    Minnesota - 1st Round v Louisville
    Ohio St - 1st Round v Iowa St
    Iowa - 1st Round v Cincinnati
    Maryland - 1st Round v Temple

We have alot of depth in the conference, but other than MSU or Michigan, can't see a B1G team making it to the Final Four.

• corby78 said... (original post)

I like our shot to win the first two. Blown away we got a 2, wonder if they gave that to us while we were winning and thought we would be B10 champs. Oh well. Montana doesn’t bother me, and while Nevada is not an easy out, I think we get through. Florida could be a wild card, they played some good teams tough.

MSU fans have a legit gripe for once. Our 2 seed is way better. I think the Committee got lazy or were unable to create two brackets based upon the potential B1G results, so they just said f- it and ignored the game.

• tjking82 said... (original post)

MSU fans have a legit gripe for once. Our 2 seed is way better. I think the Committee got lazy or were unable to create two brackets based upon the potential B1G results, so they just said f- it and ignored the game.

I agree that Sparty should be a higher ranked 2 seed then us but they didn’t deserve a 1 seed when you lose twice to a lousy Indiana team and once to a crappy Illinois team. I do possibly see why the committee gave us the higher seed if you’re just comparing losses. We had 1 bad loss(PSU) to Sparty’s 3. And we may have singlehandedly boosted MSU’s resume with their 3 wins vs us. But you have to win 6 games to win the championship regarldsss of what seed you are so I think the crying by MSU fans is a bit over the top.

The way they place the two seeds is the highest two seed plays in the regional that is closest to their campus. Then the next highest two seed plays in the remaining regional that is closest to their campus. DC is about 100 miles closer than Louisville, so that is why they’re in Duke’s region and not in Virginia’s. Michigan ended up in Anaheim because they were the 8 overall seed and had the last pick of regionals. I think it’s silly to do it this way, but they did it according to their process.

I think the committee got lazy in putting Minnesota, Louisville and Maryland in the bottom half of the Duke regional - all teams MSU played this year. They used to try to avoid rematches and conference foes in the first two rounds.

• IMO we have the hardest "7" matchup vs Nevada. 29-4 a lot of big athletic players that can score.

• bacon1431 said... (original post)

The way they place the two seeds is the highest two seed plays in the regional that is closest to their campus. Then the next highest two seed plays in the remaining regional that is closest to their campus. DC is about 100 miles closer than Louisville, so that is why they’re in Duke’s region and not in Virginia’s. Michigan ended up in Anaheim because they were the 8 overall seed and had the last pick of regionals. I think it’s silly to do it this way, but they did it according to their process.

I think the committee got lazy in putting Minnesota, Louisville and Maryland in the bottom half of the Duke regional - all teams MSU played this year. They used to try to avoid rematches and conference foes in the first two rounds.

They actually have rules. If you played once you can meet in the second round, if you played twice you can meet in the sweet 16

• LLBlueJ said... (original post)

IMO we have the hardest "7" matchup vs Nevada. 29-4 a lot of big athletic players that can score.

Yeah I’m not sleeping on them, the only positive is their schedule was fairly easy. Their only major conference games were two pac-12 teams that was also pretty weak this year. UM and Florida are the two toughest teams they will have faced

• Belmont-Temple pretty fun, as far as First Four games go

• What are everybody's Final Four picks?

I've got Duke, Gonzaga, Tennessee, UNC. With Gonzaga beating UNC in the finals.

What are everybody's Final Four picks?

I've got Duke, Gonzaga, Tennessee, UNC. With Gonzaga beating UNC in the finals.

Duke, Michigan, Tennesee & UNC

• BigWillieStyle said... (original post)

Duke, Michigan, Tennesee & UNC

I would love this to happen(although I think Duke would be a nightmare matchup) but I just don’t see this team advancing past the 2nd weekend. You just cannot go into these long periods where you can’t hit the broad side of a barn. I’m hopeful that they can get into a groove offensively and it certainly is possible. But I just don’t see it happening.

• B10 1-0, good job Minni

• This team has a wide variance, so their seeding is fitting. I could easily see them making it to the FF, and just as easily see them flaming out in the 2nd round. Hopefully we get Jekyll and not Hyde.

• I’m amazed how lopsided the officiating has been in sharty games the second half of the season. You expect a team to get hosed here and there, but the spartard opponents have been playing against 8 guys the last 10 or so games

• Bradley 35 sparty 34 at halftime the key in this game is being physical and defense and scoring! Why the hell we couldnt do thatbanghead smhgoblue

• cjgoblue said... (original post)

Bradley 35 sparty 34 at halftime the key in this game is being physical and defense and scoring! Why the hell we couldnt do thatbanghead smhgoblue

Uh, Im pretty sure we held larger halftime leads against sharty.

As you can see, the shartans are pulling away in the 2nd half, just like they did against us.

This game is pretty much a copy of all three Michigan/msu games this year

• PsychoEdit said... (original post)

Uh, Im pretty sure we held larger halftime leads against sharty.

As you can see, the shartans are pulling away in the 2nd half, just like they did against us.

This game is pretty much a copy of all three Michigan/msu games this year

Thats what im saying but if we played physical and scored then we would of won the big ten tournament!

• Wow, Tom Izzo.

Temper, temper...

• ChiTownMichiganFan said... (original post)

Wow, Tom Izzo.

Temper, temper...

Personally, I don’t respect (as a person) coaches that act like that on a regular basis. And Izzo does. I just find it interesting that it only got noticed now. Today was tame compared to what we’ve been seeing for years. Surprised it’s a talking point at all.

Personally, I don’t respect (as a person) coaches that act like that on a regular basis. And Izzo does. I just find it interesting that it only got noticed now. Today was tame compared to what we’ve been seeing for years. Surprised it’s a talking point at all.

I have seen Izzo pissed off before but never to this extent. It literally looked like Izzo wanted to attack Henry physically. But I'm seeing mostly support for Izzo for this ridiculous behavior. It was a scary situation created by Izzo losing it. And then Izzo defends it in the press conference. I'm sorry, but to me, it seems that the pressure is making Izzo do some borderline crazy shit.

• Day 1 is in the books and there were not too many surprises. A decent amount of people had Murray St beating Marquette. My bracket isn't doing too swift though. Already down two Sweet 16 teams in Belmont and New Mexico St. I'm hoping for a few more upsets today.

B1G teams in action:
    10 Iowa v 7 Cincy - 12:15
    5 Wisconsin v 12 Oregon - 4:30
    11 OSU v 6 Iowa St - 9:50

Conference was 5-0 yesterday. I don't like any of these matchups today. I have OSU and Iowa losing, with Wisconsin winning in typical ugly Wisconsin fashion.

Teams I have on Upset Alert today:

5 Miss St v 12 Liberty
    4 Kansas St v 13 UC Irvine
    5 Wisconsin v 12 Oregon

• We got florida! They can score but i think if we can play our great defense and score like we did yesterday they we can go far in this tourney!goblue

• cjgoblue said... (original post)

We got florida! They can score but i think if we can play our great defense and score like we did yesterday they we can go far in this tourney!goblue

Definitely a big break to get FL rather than NEV imo. Looking ahead, we should all be Northern Kentucky fans, would be another break. Stars aligning so far.

Definitely a big break to get FL rather than NEV imo. Looking ahead, we should all be Northern Kentucky fans, would be another break. Stars aligning so far.

Or not. That escalated quickly.

• B10 showing well, outside Wisconsin going flat. Maryland’s loss to LSU was a very entertaining game and back and forth.