POOLE ....soft?

POOLE ....soft?

• J Poole has talent. undenied. Fired out to SUCH an amazing start. They played amazing hangover championship form early in the season. WHERE has that gone? WHY take a three EXPECTING to get fouled? Why not just try to go make the shot? why not stop worrying about who is on you and BALL AGAIN!!!!!! your the key Mr Poole...... or... were still one year away.

• Discussion
  • That was actually his smartest play in the game. He knew the situation, he knew MSU had fouls to give and would foul us. He tried to get three shots instead of just an in bound. He had to fire it up quick to try and get the ref to believe he was fouled while shooting. The only trouble is the ref was dumb and didn’t know the situation and didn’t call the obvious foul.

There’s a lot to criticize for Poole. That play was not close to one of them.

He got lost on defense and had some pretty bad shot selection. It’s been that same story all season.

• I wish we would run more ball screens and ISO situations for Poole.

Simpson has a nice underhand layup (going left) and a really cool hook shot (going right). But sometimes it seems like he's just dribbling around because neither of his 2 moves are open.

Poole no doubt will take some airhead shots but I think getting him aggressive and in attack mode makes for a better offense.

• LLBlueJ said... (original post)

I wish we would run more ball screens and ISO situations for Poole.

Simpson has a nice underhand layup (going left) and a really cool hook shot (going right). But sometimes it seems like he's just dribbling around because neither of his 2 moves are open.

Poole no doubt will take some airhead shots but I think getting him aggressive and in attack mode makes for a better offense.

Poole gets a decent amount of ball screen action as the 2 guard. He just hasn’t done much with it. I don’t trust him in ISO either. He will just jack up bad shots

• He makes the most boneheaded plays on the roster and somehow he usually gets the most minutes on the floor. He can run the fast break like no other, but his defense is suspect, his shot selection is poor at times and the refs seemed to have picked up on his habitual flopping. Now he doesn't even get obvious charge calls. Falling down on every other 3 point attempt is getting old as well. Hope he catches fire in the dance and breaks out, like he has the ability to do.

• Poole aggravates the hell out of me. I really question his basketball IQ. But the reality is that if we want Michigan to do anything great this tournament, we have to see the best of Jordan. It would just be wonderful to have a player that can get on a 6 game hot streak like we’ve seen players on other teams do.

• bacon1431 said... (original post)

Poole gets a decent amount of ball screen action as the 2 guard. He just hasn’t done much with it. I don’t trust him in ISO either. He will just jack up bad shots

Really? Maybe there's just bad spacing (playing off Simpson and Matthews since they're not shooters) or where he gets it at (wing) but I'm not noticing it much. Could be all our dead motion we have in the offense too. I'll have to watch closer I guess or Jordan needs to take it toward the hoop instead of across the floor.

Really? Maybe there's just bad spacing (playing off Simpson and Matthews since they're not shooters) or where he gets it at (wing) but I'm not noticing it much. Could be all our dead motion we have in the offense too. I'll have to watch closer I guess or Jordan needs to take it toward the hoop instead of across the floor.

It drives me nuts when Poole does like 3 or 4 jab steps before he realizes the defender isn't going for the fake and then just jacks up a contested 3.

• ChiTownMichiganFan said... (original post)

It drives me nuts when Poole does like 3 or 4 jab steps before he realizes the defender isn't going for the fake and then just jacks up a contested 3.

Yep. You know before the 6th jab step, that he's resorting to chucking it up. He is pretty damn good slasher, if he just trusted himself to get to the rack. 10 more lbs of muscle would really help going into next year as well.

haha! So true. I think part of that issue is if Poole has the ball in his hands, then that means likely Matthews and Simpson are the "shooters" on the floor. Yikes. 31.5% and 30.4% from deep. I'd definitely be telling my defenders to play an extra step off them.

We just don't run enough motion. It's always so dead. Heck - one game not long ago I saw Simpson and Brooks literally toss the ball back and forth from about 3 feet away from each other like they HAD to have that done before they could run the play. Simpson's dribbling is getting close to Harden-esque.

Where's the weave? Multiple screens? Back door cuts? Make the defense move...then hit 'em with the hard ball screen for Poole. He has no choice but to do jab steps because every defense just sits on it.

All season, Poole has had plenty of chances in ball screens and it hasn’t worked. JB changes his offense, but he’s always liked to have two defacto PGs when he can. 1-2 are often interchangeable, just as the 3-4 are in his offense. So they basically lean heavily on Simpson to do it because he’s really good at it. Poole can get there, just not there yet. It would help if we had better spacing, but when he’s got the ball in his hands, Iggy is the only one that you feel comfortable taking a lot of 3s. Defenses can sag off Teske, Matthews and Simpson and not be too fearful until they start hitting a couple.

• Poole is driving me nuts. Sure he helps the team, but he just as much if not more hurts the team IMO. I feel he’s playing more for the NBA then he is for his team. Again, JMO.

Poole is driving me nuts. Sure he helps the team, but he just as much if not more hurts the team IMO. I feel he’s playing more for the NBA then he is for his team. Again, JMO.

He's in for a HUGE wakeup if he thinks he's going anywhere near an NBA roster.

He's in for a HUGE wakeup if he thinks he's going anywhere near an NBA roster.

He did do some nice things in the second half, like attacking the rim and had a few nice assists. When he plays that way, he helps the team the most. But his defense is not his strength. Like flying past the shooter on a pump game.

• there you go Jordan... now.... pour it on bro!!!!!! we wont win if its a few, BUT... if all these guys show up?!?

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! GO BLUE

• sometimes I forget... these guys are 19....20.... great year team. grow and we ill get em next year! GO BLUE!!!!!