Welcome back Juwan!

Welcome back Juwan!

• Love it or hate it, Juwan Howard is the new HC. I myself will give him my full support and give him a chance. It will be a 5-year contract(the monetary figures have not yet been disclosed).

Go Blue!

• Discussion
  • BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Well, this team didn't just fall off the cliff, but jumped off. DID THEY EVEN TRY TO GET SOMEONE OF QUALITY?????

• I'm a bit lost here. I don't know much about Howard as a coach. Can he do the job?

• Lots of nba experience, hope he can translate that. High ceiling possibility which I like. May take some time to get there though. Hope he works and hope he stays a while

• EzioAuditore said... (original post)

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Well, this team didn't just fall off the cliff, but jumped off. DID THEY EVEN TRY TO GET SOMEONE OF QUALITY?????

Step away from the ledge.

• It all comes down to his assistants. If he could keep Yak and Saddi he should. Howard will recruit because of his NBA lineage and maybe slightly because of the Fab 5 thing, but developing those players will be the struggle if he doesn’t have good assistants to fall back on.

• JDeanAuthor said... (original post)

I'm a bit lost here. I don't know much about Howard as a coach. Can he do the job?

6 years experience as an NBA assistant. His sons play for a big time AAU team and his oldest son played at Detroit Mercy, so he is familiar with the recruiting process and he has some ties to MW AAU programs. I recommend reading M.Goblog’s and UMHoops write ups on his background.

Not a home run right now, but could be a grand slam. His ceiling as a coach is super high and according to Webber and Rose, this is essentially his dream job. Though I expect him to flirt with NBA jobs if they express interest.

• Juwan is a great hire. I'm excited with very little reservations. A risk but worth it at this point.

• I'm super excited!

Coaching - obviously no HC experience but it's a good sign he was getting lots of HC looks in the NBA.
    Recruiting - guessing but I think we all know we're going to be getting some great players
    Culture - He's well loved and respected. He's well spoken. He has love for the university. I'm sure he wants an upstanding program.
    Development - done some good work in the NBA working with guys on the Heat

What a beautiful unity we're going to see! I'm thrilled for Coach Howard and for UM!

• LLBlueJ said... (original post)

I'm super excited!

Coaching - obviously no HC experience but it's a good sign he was getting lots of HC looks in the NBA.

Recruiting - guessing but I think we all know we're going to be getting some great players

Culture - He's well loved and respected. He's well spoken. He has love for the university. I'm sure he wants an upstanding program.

Development - done some good work in the NBA working with guys on the Heat

What a beautiful unity we're going to see! I'm thrilled for Coach Howard and for UM!

Remember this about Juwan: he was credited for ‘recruiting’ the Fab Five. I know it’s different game as a head coach but he obviously has the persona to be very good at it IMO.

• ChiTownMichiganFan said... (original post)

Remember this about Juwan: he was credited for ‘recruiting’ the Fab Five. I know it’s different game as a head coach but he obviously has the persona to be very good at it IMO.

I think we will recruit at JB’s level and probably better. Now, player development will probably not be quite as good, but JB was one of the best so hard to replicate that.

Will be interested in seeing what kind of system he runs on offense. Having spent the last 6 years as an assistant in the NBA, I would think he’d believe in a fairly modern system. He was a classic big man, but you don’t succeed as a coach in the NBA today without valuing the three pointer.

• Can someone explain how his hiring brings the fab 5 back together? Specifically Rose and Webber have said this closed the rift between them? I don’t see the connection.

This post was edited by MidsouthJacket 8 months ago

• MidsouthJacket said... (original post)

Can someone explain how his hiring brings the fab 5 back together? Specifically arose and Webber have said this closed the rift between them? I don’t see the connection.

Here is Rose's theory:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2019/05/23/michigan-basketball-juwan-howard-jalen-rose-fab-five/1204166001/

• bluerick said... (original post)

Here is Rose's theory:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2019/05/23/michigan-basketball-juwan-howard-jalen-rose-fab-five/1204166001/

Yeah I’m still scratching me head. If anything it tells me how petty their “beef” really was that they’d all of a sudden just set it aside now that one of their boys is the coach. Does that mean it comes back if Howard is let go or moves on later? Doesn’t seem like the conversation that Webber has been calling for for years or the public apology that Rose has been calling for Webber to issue have happened. So what gives?

Also I’ve got a problem with Rose saying Howard is going “turn around” the Michigan program. Huh? I thought you guys were winning 30 games a year for awhile?

By the way I’m a Georgia Tech fan. Grew up in the 80s and 90s when the Fab 5 really became part of a cultural and social movement in college sports. I was a fan.
    I’m also still sour about Desmond Howard choosing UM over GT way back when. Would have liked to have seen that #21 on the flats in Atlanta.

Yeah I’m still scratching me head. If anything it tells me how petty their “beef” really was that they’d all of a sudden just set it aside now that one of their boys is the coach. Does that mean it comes back if Howard is let go or moves on later? Doesn’t seem like the conversation that Webber has been calling for for years or the public apology that Rose has been calling for Webber to issue have happened. So what gives?

Also I’ve got a problem with Rose saying Howard is going “turn around” the Michigan program. Huh? I thought you guys were winning 30 games a year for awhile?

By the way I’m a Georgia Tech fan. Grew up in the 80s and 90s when the Fab 5 really became part of a cultural and social movement in college sports. I was a fan.

I’m also still sour about Desmond Howard choosing UM over GT way back when. Would have liked to have seen that #21 on the flats in Atlanta.

I wouldn't take too much out of Rose's quote. I don't think he meant to take a shot at Beilein or anything like that. I think he simply meant that Juwan will be great. I think there was some sentiment when JB left that the program would spiral down and Rose is probably saying, "not so fast".

As far as the Fab5 thing goes. Yeah, it's kind of odd. I don't see why this hire has any effect on the "Fab 5 being back". The entire black cloud and awkwardness of the Fab 5 and the University comes down to 1 thing and 1 thing only. C-Webb has handled everything like a diva bitch and wants people to stroke his ego. He's been a stubborn ass that will never own up to wrongdoing and to be honest, I don't think the University or basketball program needs to associate with him.

• BigTenPhan said... (original post)

I wouldn't take too much out of Rose's quote. I don't think he meant to take a shot at Beilein or anything like that. I think he simply meant that Juwan will be great. I think there was some sentiment when JB left that the program would spiral down and Rose is probably saying, "not so fast".

As far as the Fab5 thing goes. Yeah, it's kind of odd. I don't see why this hire has any effect on the "Fab 5 being back". The entire black cloud and awkwardness of the Fab 5 and the University comes down to 1 thing and 1 thing only. C-Webb has handled everything like a diva bitch and wants people to stroke his ego. He's been a stubborn ass that will never own up to wrongdoing and to be honest, I don't think the University or basketball program needs to associate with him.

Agreed, it’s been in his court for a long while now. He put the school in a bad spot not the other way around. Everyone else has matured and have gotten past previous mistakes from what I’ve seen. Still waiting on Webb. Don’t forget he was the first to bail, and I don’t think it was all talent based

Petty or not, the University of Michigan just hired a member of the Fab Five as their Head Coach. There's been spoken and unspoken awkwardness. If anything it moves forward, putting the past behind. How does this not unify a group of guys that both impacted and were impacted by what they did?

It's not about the past but about support, about moving forward, about keeping the past in the past.
    I believe what Jalen's saying in full context that they want to BUILD - aka do more, win championships - on what JB has done so far.

I think this is a beautiful thing we're seeing. I love that both Harbaugh and Howard are HC's.

• goblue

• I see we are bringing St. Joe's legend Martelli to be an assistant. I think this is a great hire. He provides that experience for Howard that Juwan needs and Phil has a break basketball mind. He also has deep connections to the East Coast which should be a boost for our recruiting. Great move IMO.

• Martelli would be a solid addition. Long time HC. I'm sure he knows nearly every AAU and HS coach on the East Coast as well.

With Washington on board and Martelli being a possibility, third assistant job might be down to Mike Miller (G-League Miller, not Memphis Mike Miller) and Howard Eisley. I'm fine with either of those additions.

• Wow, what an emotional press conference! I am feeling more and more confident with Howard being the right choice. The man obviously cares a great deal about U-M and there has been nothing but positives accolades from people who have worked with him and against him. Go Juwan, Go Blue!

• Just watched the press conference. Still needs to prove he can coach at the college level, but I’m excited. This could be a special hire for the long term

Wow, what an emotional press conference! I am feeling more and more confident with Howard being the right choice. The man obviously cares a great deal about U-M and there has been nothing but positives accolades from people who have worked with him and against him. Go Juwan, Go Blue!

Kinda like Hoke...Purely based on the presser, this smells a lot more like disaster than dynasty....Juwan has the heart, but lacks the reality check.

He doesn't have a clue what he's in for. This is not fair to him or the University. As almost everyone already admits, this is bad timing for all involved. At this point I'm not sure what his role is, but head coach of the program doesn't seem to be in the top two. Coming off the Beilen regime, this team needs a proven CEO, not Tommy Boy.

Warde might be under the microscope after this hire. This could very well be his Dave Brandon moment.

• mgodude said... (original post)

Kinda like Hoke...Purely based on the presser, this smells a lot more like disaster than dynasty....Juwan has the heart, but lacks the reality check.

He doesn't have a clue what he's in for. This is not fair to him or the University. As almost everyone already admits, this is bad timing for all involved. At this point I'm not sure what his role is, but head coach of the program doesn't seem to be in the top two. Coming off the Beilen regime, this team needs a proven CEO, not Tommy Boy.

Warde might be under the microscope after this hire. This could very well be his Dave Brandon moment.

How about letting the guy coach a game and actually seeing the product before you give up on someone? I know, that’s way too logical.

• mgodude said... (original post)

Mmmmm no.

How about letting the guy coach a game and actually seeing the product before you give up on someone? I know, that’s way too logical.

So let me coach them for a game. I love Michigan basketball...Granted, my inside game wasn't as good as Juwan''s, but I know people... hoops

If you honestly felt good about his answer to the most basic question put to him at the presser about what type of of team he envisions as a Howard coached team, then I don't know what to tell ya. His answer should have been prepared, thoughtful, and inspiring. Instead, he punted, stating that he and he and his staff will figure it out. Are you kidding me? Who is leading whom? Does he even have a philosophy of coaching? If not, how long will it take to develop his brand, and is Michigan the place to do that on a rookie contract coming off of the high mark of the all time winningest coach in Michigan history? In the end, will it be Howard's brand or something conjured up for him by a hired gun assistant, who has had HC experience?

As with so many failed coaches the excuse is that they weren't able to fully implement their plan before management and fans ran out of patience. The thing is, this team isn't down. How many are going to give him 3, 4 or 5 yrs years of a backwards slide for the sake of welcoming back the legend?

By the way, I hope I'm dead wrong, but the presser was telling, and "logic" tells me Juwan looked like he won the lottery, and not at all HC ready.