Let’s play football (and stop being pus$ies)

Let’s play football (and stop being pus$ies)

Arrow79
  • the mortality rate for young healthy people is extremely low. Much lower than the CDC would lead you to believe. COVID seems to have already affected many more people than what has been confirmed, some studies (i.e. the Stanford antibody study) point towards up to 50x more people have been infected than what is on the books... my point is, COVID isn’t killing young healthy people. We as a society just have to accept that some student athletes will catch COVID if they play football, like we do with other illnesses like the flu. COVID has just become so stigmatized/politicized universities are terrified to move forward out of fear.

I don’t know what the path forward is, but a zero tolerance policy for COVID will end any hopes at a season. We just have to come to grips with the fact that there is a risk of infection, but the likelihood a death occurs is extremely low for this demographic. If a death does occur though, it’s over... but an interesting stat. The average age of death in the U.S. is 78, but the average age of death caused by COVID-19 is 80.. So as a society, how many life years are we really losing ? This disease isn’t killing off young healthy people. It’s killing off the elderly and immunocompromised.. and I don’t know many nursing homes who field a football team. So let’s play ball

• Discussion
  • 03forme said... (original post)the mortality rate for young healthy people is extremely low. Much lower than the CDC would lead you to believe. COVID seems to have already affecte...

The fact that the ZCDC head came on WSB right before the 4th to remind everyone that they never advised closing schools also echos this sentiment.
  • Amen

• 03forme said... (original post)the mortality rate for young healthy people is extremely low. Much lower than the CDC would lead you to believe. COVID seems to have already affecte...

Good to know that we can look to you for disease information and guidance.
  • You want football wear a mask.

• goby said... (original post)Good to know that we can look to you for disease information and guidance.

If you have compelling data refuting my points please share.. I’m always willing to listen to counterpoints that hold weight and I can admit when I’m wrong. But I have yet to see that data, so if it’s out there I’d like to know.

• 1BadBuck said... (original post)You want football wear a mask.

I agree.. either way.. it doesn’t matter as much for young people. It matters more for young people who visit their grandparents

• 03forme said... (original post)I agree.. either way.. it doesn’t matter as much for young people. It matters more for young people who visit their grandparents

All it will take is one college athlete (at a major school) out of thousands to either die or get severely ill and it's over
  • goby said... (original post)All it will take is one college athlete (at a major school) out of thousands to either die or get severely ill and it's over

But it’s ok when thousands of school aged children die of the flu every year.

• OP, this is dumb

This post was edited by ouija 4 months ago

• 1.3 million die from Automobile accidents every year. Based on the current COVID logic, there should be an uproar over people driving. Roads and Interstates should be shut down by the Government to protect us. We have lost complete perspective around COVID. Is it bad, yes. Is it bad to lose a loved one in an Auto accident, yes. Do we stop driving, NO.

• According to a report released by Planned Parenthood, Planned Parenthood affiliates performed 345,672 abortions from Oct. 1, 2017, to Sept. 30, 2018.

100% death rate. No outrage in site.

I wonder if anyone has contracted COVID-9 while in one of their locations? If so, are they going to shut down due to safety concerns?

Have you been wearing a mask and social distancing ? If you haven't, your misplaced bravado is part if the problem. The people that are going to decide if we play football aren't going to look at the decision like a firery halftime speech when your down 3 touchdowns.
  • BDMBuckeye said... (original post)According to a report released by Planned Parenthood, Planned Parenthood affiliates performed 345,672 abortions from Oct. 1, 2017, to Sept. 30, 2...

really I just want to play football and get the Justin Fields junior season we all want as fans. Please don’t politically hijack my sentiment.

• goby said... (original post)Good to know that we can look to you for disease information and guidance.

I love someone that can make checkers out of chess for us on peskey virus stuff.
  • BUCKEYESHREDDER said... (original post)Have you been wearing a mask and social distancing ? If you haven't, your misplaced bravado is part if the problem. The people that are ...

So when somebody disagrees with you or doesn’t do what you think they should, it’s misplaced bravado?

• BUCKEYESHREDDER said... (original post)I love someone that can make checkers out of chess for us on peskey virus stuff.

Most aren’t devaluing the virus. It’s just that you and others want this madness to completely and totally hijack our lives. There is zero perspective with what is going on. I live in VA. They announced no 2020 HS football Tuesday. Now our county is going to 100% virtual learning for the first quarter. That will end in December. So by that point we’ll be 9 months into kids not going to school. Or having sports. Or being out in public for the most part. Or being around healthy, uncompromed people. WTF!?! When does this f’ing $hit end?

This post was edited by FairfaxBuck 4 months ago

• BUCKEYESHREDDER said... (original post)Have you been wearing a mask and social distancing ? If you haven't, your misplaced bravado is part if the problem. The people that are ...

Yes I have been. I follow the science. If you think I have my head in the sand you are wrong. This is the problem with politicizing a virus. I’m just saying, the data out there is showing the risk of death for young healthy people is almost nonexistent . Old people and immunocompromised people should stay home. But as for 18-21 year old athletes? If they are willing to play and realize there is a chance of infection, when weighing risks vs. benefits the risk of them falling seriously ill from this thing is tiny. We as a society just need to accept that you take risks in life every day. We can’t just shut down everyone and everything forever

• FairfaxBuck said... (original post)Most aren’t devaluing the virus. It’s just that you and others want this madness to completely and totally hijack our lives. There is zero persp...

I agree it's a disaster but in the spirit of what we can do to make it better we have limited options. And until we at least do things we all know, we are likely to just be spinning our wheels and doing lots of bitching with no kickoffs.
  • 03forme said... (original post)Yes I have been. I follow the science. If you think I have my head in the sand you are wrong. This is the problem with politicizing a virus. I’m jus...

I get your frustration and share it. The logistics are hard to navigate with the atheletes. They are physically in contact with each other and then they go out in the world and can infect others and bring the infection back to the team. Their age group isn't going to die very often that is true but when they get infected and try to play too soon the NBA has some concerns on potential heart damage as coronavirus can attack the heart. Anyway, these are obstacles and that muck up the water. But the best thing that could happen to increase our odds of football is to see cases level off in places like Florida. And as of right not that isn't happening and has been terrible. That's what admistrators want to see to green light football.

This post was edited by BUCKEYESHREDDER 4 months ago

• 1. Unlike the flu, coronavirus is highly contagious. Thus, that’s the problem. Meaning if any player of the team gets it, others would get it. They may be taken out of games for two weeks. At worse scenario, since coronavirus isn’t proven to be one-timer like chicken pox for an example, the whole team could re-infect each other consistently and take them out of season and cancel whole season. Imagine the same scenario with bad water poisoning at Wisconsin in 1942 that took whole team out of the game with a loss. Only, with coronavirus, it may affect whole season.

2. Mortality rate is at steady rate due to improvement in recovery medications. However, rate of coronavirus cases has skyrocketed. Meaning the hospitals has and has already been overwhelmed along with vast sum of tax money spent on hospitalized victims who are uninsured unemployed. Also, the skyrocketing cases may mean that the team would be infected sooner than later making things harder for them to recover enough for the games.

In all, we want to have the football season. But we would have to give our selfless help with masks and social distancing to protect the team from falling to coronavirus.

• buckeyebison said... (original post)1. Unlike the flu, coronavirus is highly contagious. Thus, that’s the problem. Meaning if any player of the team gets it, others would get it. ...

The problem is, we really half **** it as far as adherence to mask wearing and social distancing as a country. The U.S. should have been on the same page with stamping it out in the first month by shutting everything down but obviously that didn’t happen. And now with the politicization of recommended guidelines, at this point I’ve come to grips with the fact that no matter how much we ask each other, adherence to mask wearing/ distancing guidelines won’t be accepted by all. And 50% adherence is just making it a slow burn, and drags it out even longer. So if we can’t all get on the same page, then fu*k it, let’s open everything up. We’re all grown ups here, we have the freedom to not wear a mask / social distance and know the risks or consequences involved with those decisions.

• FairfaxBuck said... (original post)Most aren’t devaluing the virus. It’s just that you and others want this madness to completely and totally hijack our lives. There is zero persp...

Poor baby its to late for a normal College Football Season. Should have done more when we could have.Its not going to end for atleast another year so buckle up butter cup.

This post was edited by SarasotaBuck79 4 months ago

• SarasotaBuck79 said... (original post)Poor baby its to late for a normal College Football Season. Should have done more when we could have.Its not going to end for atleast another ...

Pretty douchebag comment that’s really uncalled for

• sb144904 said... (original post)Pretty douchebag comment that’s really uncalled for

He's a hard core denier now hes complaining why? Its just to funny .If America keeps doing the same thing we'll be lucky to have a season next year.

This post was edited by SarasotaBuck79 4 months ago

Not to argue but that Stanford study was months ago