My cat died Saturday

My cat died Saturday

Arrow47
  • I was sitting on the screened porch and he was lying about 4 feet away when he let out a loud yowl, flipped on his back with legs straight up in the air and fell back over on his side, motionless. Then there were a few spasmodic gasps every 10 seconds or so. I opened the door and told my wife "the cat just collapsed". I tried pumping his side for whatever reason, but he was gone. No movement from his tail, no breathing, eyes fixed. Took him inside and laid him down and we watched him for quite a while, just to be sure. He was 11 years old, a big tomcat, who already had heart problems and diabetes, so it wasn't surprising.

Sitting right there when it happened was hard to take, though. I've been with several immediate family members when they took there last breath, but they went peacefully. This was pretty disturbing. He was an aggravating cat, not a jump on your lap cat - more standoffish. He absolutely hated being groomed or having his nails cut, but he always wanted to be where we were and I enjoyed playing around with him. Rip, Oreo.

• Discussion
  • My cousin had a similar story. His cat went up to him, made a strange noise and just collapsed dead in his arms.

• blantoncollier said... (original post)I was sitting on the screened porch and he was lying about 4 feet away when he let out a loud yowl, flipped on his back with legs straight up ...

Sorry you lost your kid. I know how much it hurts. I am wondering how long before I lose another one of my dogs.

• I was supposed to post this in the rant thread, but, as usual, a few too many brewskies has me doing stupid stuff.

• Duane said... (original post)Sorry you lost your kid. I know how much it hurts. I am wondering how long before I lose another one of my dogs.

Thanks Duane. We sure do get attached to animals...I mean they're part of the family.

• Sorry Friend. I know how painful that is. Had one of our big BullMastiff males come in the house a couple years ago and laid out on the floor - very sad. 5 YO. Figured God wanted to hang with him more than me.

• blantoncollier said... (original post)Thanks Duane. We sure do get attached to animals...I mean they're part of the family.

If they aren’t you shouldn’t have them.

• Bighemdog52 said... (original post)Sorry Friend. I know how painful that is. Had one of our big BullMastiff males come in the house a couple years ago and laid out on the floor - ...

Thanks. It's easy to think, well, it's only a cat or a dog, or whatever. The older I get the more I value lives of humans and animals.

• Even though death is a part of life. Still sad to hear. Definitely for animals.

But for him to make it to eleven shows that he was treated well so it’s reassuring that he was treated well and went on his own time

• Duane said... (original post)If they aren’t you shouldn’t have them.

Couldn't have said it better, Duane.

• Sorry to hear man. Pets are fam!

• meyer 4 prez said... (original post)Even though death is a part of life. Still sad to hear. Definitely for animals.But for him to make it to eleven shows that he was treated well ...

Yeah, a lot of trips to the vet and he almost died a few years ago, but came out of it. He just showed up one day at the house we used to live in, just a little scraggly kitten, so we took him in.

• goby said... (original post)Sorry to hear man. Pets are fam!

Thanks much.

• Sorry for your loss. We have 2 cats. 1 dog. Both cats have something wrong with them. 1 has a deviated septum and cant pure. The other 1 has asthma. Has to get a steroid shot every 5-6 months. Our pitbull is 8 or 9. 2 years ago she had 2 mast tumors on her skin. The one on her butt/leg was a grade 3. The vet called and said she didnt know how much longer she had to live. We had a choice of taking her to ohio state to see how many others internally she might have. We decided against taking her. We didnt want to know. Shes as active as shes ever been. She has arthritis so it takes her alittle bit to get going but once shes up shes ready to go

• blantoncollier said... (original post)Thanks. It's easy to think, well, it's only a cat or a dog, or whatever. The older I get the more I value lives of humans and anima...

Animal lovers don’t think that way. I have not heard anyone say that one of my dogs dying that it was just a dog. That would receive an unpleasant response from me.

This post was edited by Duane 4 months ago

• BS22 said... (original post)Sorry for your loss. We have 2 cats. 1 dog. Both cats have something wrong with them. 1 has a deviated septum and cant pure. The other 1 has asthma. Ha...

You're good people.

• Duane said... (original post)Animal lovers don’t think that way. I have not heard anyone say that one of my dogs dying that it was just a dog. That would receive an unpleasant res...

When I was a kid in the country, down here in southern Ohio, we had a couple cats running around and a dog that came from some where. They were all outdoor animals. My parents wouldn't have them in the house unless it got REALLY cold outside. But that dog, a short legged, smaller dog that looked like a german shepherd, was my best buddy. I didn't have friends that lived close, so he and I roamed the fields and the creek and the woods every summer. One morning I went out to his doghouse and he was lying there, all torn up, especially his neck. He had been in a fight with something and had gotten the worst end of it. He died soon after and I was devastated. It took me a while to get over it, but I still remember that dog like it was yesterday.

• Sounds like a stroke. Sorry. I've had the too many dogs die - a couple in my arms; one was a stroke. Animals aren't technically family, but they are darn close!

• ERNiner said... (original post)Sounds like a stroke. Sorry. I've had the too many dogs die - a couple in my arms; one was a stroke. Animals aren't technically family, bu...

That's very possible, ER.

• So sorry to hear of your loss BC. Same thing happened to me back in 2013 with my 9 old male rottweiler and best friend "Brutus". I'm not ashamed to say that I cried like a little girl that night. May your little buddy rest peacefully.

This post was edited by buckinindy23 4 months ago

• I just want to say this and I'm gonna get a little off track here. I didn't start this thread to get any sympathy. Like I posted earlier, I didn't mean for this to be a topic on the main board, but I screwed up.

But, even a thread like this gives me so much hope for humanity. With all the ********* happening everywhere in the world, there is a large, I should say overwhelming, number of compassionate, caring and responsible people in this world. If you want to call it a silent majority or whatever, most people care about others and want to see things improve for everyone.

I grew up with an outhouse and a hand pump for water on the kitchen sink. Life was simpler, but hard physically. We have come such a long way it's really unbelievable. But the point is no matter how far technology has progressed there is a constant that remains and that is life. It's precious.

• buckinindy23 said... (original post)So sorry to hear of your loss BC. Same thing happened to me back in 2013 with my 9 old male rottweiler and best friend "Brutus". I&#x...

I cried too, my friend, hard. I might be 6 feet tall and 250 overweight pounds, served in the army and grew up doing farm work and surrounded by farm animals, but it doesn't make one weak to be compassionate.

• buckinindy23 said... (original post)So sorry to hear of your loss BC. Same thing happened to me back in 2013 with my 9 old male rottweiler and best friend "Brutus". I&#x...

My first pit bull made it to 12 years old. I was so broke up when I lost him that I did not get another dog for 20 years. It wasn’t until I got married that I started with Boxers. I should not have waited that long. I realized that no sooner than Ace was in the car. I cannot imagine a life without dogs. I will bury more but that hurts less than the pain of not having dogs.

• Sorry for your loss, Blanton. Cats are great. Always had one. The last one I adopted from Washington Court House rescue. Lived to 15 but had kidney failure. Had to give her fluids 2x/day for 2 years in the scruff of her neck.

• blantoncollier said... (original post)I cried too, my friend, hard. I might be 6 feet tall and 250 overweight pounds, served in the army and grew up doing farm work and surrounded ...

I agree BC, compassion is a quality the world can always use more of. Bless you friend.
  • Reading all these heartfelt tributes to your pets further instills in me why I do what I do for the last 35 years. Thanks all.

OSU DVM ‘85