Big 10 Power Rankings

Big 10 Power Rankings

• BigAppleBuckeye said... (original post)LOVE this post ... hope you are right! Teague reminds me a bit of Raymont Harris from the early 90s. A very solid, reliable back, but not a ...

He was a full back (he was big guy but had a low center of gravity and legs that just kept churning....made it hard to bring him down) for a D1 school in the B1G (not our Buckeyes as they didn't give him a full ride though he remained a life long tOSU fan). Dad didn't get to stay in school very long. This was during the Vietnam war, his friends were all getting drafted and Daddy felt guilty so he enlisted in the Army and never played a down of football ever again. He LOVED the game though and instilled that in me. He was an awesome human being and I was so very blessed by his time on this earth. He taught me a love for all sports but especially football and baseball (he could have played college baseball as well...he was a beast athlete). I get to pass that love onto my kids.

This post was edited by Buckeyechick 2 months ago

• Buckeyechick said... (original post)He was a full back (he was big guy but had a low center of gravity and legs that just kept churning....made it hard to bring him down) for a D1 ...

Sounds like an amazing man, and it sounds like we are both in that tough club of those who have lost their fathers. Appreciate you sharing that, sounds like he must have had some wonderful stories!

• I have a feeling Minnesota might be making its case as the worst team in the Big Ten in the next Power Rankings ... a shockingly disappointing season for the Gophers.

• A few whiskeys in, but my in-game new rankings ... absolutely disgusting bottom half of this conference:

1. Ohio State
    2. Wisconsin
    3. Indiana
    4. Northwestern
    5. Maryland
    6. Purdue
    7. Iowa
    8. Rutgers
    9. Nebraska
    10. Minnesota
    11. Michigan State
    12. Michigan
    13. Illinois
    14. Penn State

• The good news is that this season is shaping up the possibility of TWO Buckeyes wins vs. Top 10 opponents (Indiana and Wisky/NW).

I’m fairly certain OSU is in if they win out, but I’m curious how things will shake out if OSU, Bama, Oregon, Cinci and BYU finish the regular season undefeated, and Clemson beats Notre Dame in a close rematch. Hmmm.

• I was lying awake last night thinking about all the scenarios. I know they will resolve as teams lose more games, but meanwhile there are some really challenging possibilities for the playoff committee.

If Clemson beats ND, Clemson is a one-loss P-5 conference champ. They will be in over all but an undefeated P-5 conference champ.

If ND wins again, Clemson is out. But ND could also lose to UNC. So could Miami, which is also a one-loss ACC team and could play Clemson again. If ND loses, Miami wins out and beats Clemson, Miami is in and Clemson and ND are out.

Cinci and BYU are not getting in, fair or not. Think what would have to happen for Cinci to get in. UNC beats Miami and ND and Clemson. ACC is out. FL, TA&M and Bama lose to LSU, and Bama loses to UGA or FL for the SEC. SEC is out. OK beats OK State. B12 is out. Only that last is likely. That means there is a 4th spot open, but it will go to the P12, either USC or OR.

What is more likely is Clemson gets in with a loss, tOSU and Bama get in undefeated, and then it's that 4th spot that is brutal. My guess is it goes to P12, but if OR and USC each have two losses, only then would Cinci get in over teams like Wisky, TA&M, ND.

• What I want to see is us getting the number one spot, and NOT having to play both Bama and Clemson. Clemson has already lost, so that's okay, assuming they beat ND. But Bama has to lose a game, and they don't play anyone until FL. If FL wins, an undefeated Buckeye team should be #1. That is our best hope.

• I thought long and hard about betting the Rutgers money line against Michigan this weekend. Will Rutgers win? Unlikely ... but the fact that it's even semi-possible is a great example of how far the Wolverines have fallen.

• BigAppleBuckeye said... (original post)I thought long and hard about betting the Rutgers money line against Michigan this weekend. Will Rutgers win? Unlikely ... but the fact that ...

REALLY kicking myself for not following my gut and betting the Rutgers money line ... profitable betting day nonetheless, but this would have been the icing on the cake!

• Weird season in the Big Ten! My knee-jerk revised rankings:

1. Ohio State - Not as good as last year, but no more real threats on the schedule.
    2. Northwestern - Been saying it for weeks: Fitz + a nasty defense + a competent QB = damn good team.
    3. Indiana - I am so impressed with this program. Who wouldn't want to play for Tom Allen? Talented QB, NFL-talent at wide receiver, physical D. Bravo.
    4. Iowa - Big drop-off after the Top 3, but name a team in America playing better than Iowa the past 3 weeks.
    5. Maryland - Terps were really clicking with Little Tua before the Covid issues.
    6. Wisconsin - What a fall ... that team looked listless yesterday, and went from title contender to conference also-ran.
    7. Purdue - Competitive team, won't wow you, but won't embarrass the conference during bowl season.
    8. Minnesota - After a putrid start, the Gophers are starting to resemble that gutsy team from 2019.
    9. Illinois - Give them props for bouncing back with back-to-back wins.
    10. Michigan - I would put them lower, but it gets REALLY bad after this, and the Harbaugh's QB switch may salvage Michigan's season. Needed 3 OTs to slay mighty Rutgers ... wow.
    11. Rutgers - I know they only have 1 win, but LOVE the fight, and Schiano deserves some votes for National Coach of Year. This program will be solid down the road.
    12. Michigan State - Awful team, possibly the worst in the conference, but the Michigan win keeps them here.
    13. Nebraska - The Blackshirts got waxed, and Frost's seat may get hot soon.
    14. Penn State - A shockingly foul season for Ped State, and this may be it for Franklin as the winless Lions keep lowering the bar.

• NATIONAL coach of the year? For a guy who's team has 1 win? Against a team you claim may be, "the worst in the conference?"

• Batt Boy said... (original post)NATIONAL coach of the year? For a guy who's team has 1 win? Against a team you claim may be, "the worst in the conference?"

Like I noted, he deserves SOME votes. Progress isn't always defined by wins and losses - tell me that program isn't levels better than where it was last year. Covered the spread in Columbus, took Michigan to Triple OT, beat MSU. Not bad for year one.

• BigAppleBuckeye said... (original post)Weird season in the Big Ten! My knee-jerk revised rankings:1. Ohio State - Not as good as last year, but no more real threats on the schedul...

I'd swap 2 and 3. Probably put wisky 4 but 4, 5, 6 are a pick em.

• BigAppleBuckeye said... (original post)The good news is that this season is shaping up the possibility of TWO Buckeyes wins vs. Top 10 opponents (Indiana and Wisky/NW).I’m fairly ...

Time for an 8-team playoff if nothing more than for this season when determining who the top 4 teams are will be more difficult than during a normal season.

• JamesWright said... (original post)What I want to see is us getting the number one spot, and NOT having to play both Bama and Clemson. Clemson has already lost, so that's oka...

Seeding is essential.

In 2014 there was no complaint from us about being the #4 seed because we were just elated to be in the inaugural CFP but last year getting snubbed for the #1 seed cost us. Had we been given the luxury that LSU was afforded, we'd cruise past OU as well. Then that would've pit Clemson vs LSU on a truly neutral field in Glendale and who knows what could've happened then vs when LSU got to face Clemson in their virtual backyard for the title.

Because I can assure you that had it been us vs Clemson in the Superdome, I'd like our chances a lot more than in Glendale where we have not had the best of luck in recent years going back to the inaugural BCS Title Game vs UF. Then again two years later vs Texas and then 8 years after that against Clemson in the CFP semifinals. In other words outside of that forgettable win vs ND in 2016, we've not had success in Glendale. Buckeye success in Fiesta Bowls was when the game was still in Tempe. Ironically after taking it on the chin a number of times in the past in New Orleans---vs Alabama in '78 and then against FSU in '98, we've netted wins over TAMU there in '99, vs ARK in '11 and then in the CFP semifinals at the beginning of 2015. The only loss in that span coming against LSU in '08 when they were a better overall team even though that was still a winnable game truth be told.

• Weird week with so many NCAA Covid-induced cancellations, but here is my updated conference power rankings:

1. Ohio State - A more flawed team than past years, but still the top dog by a large margin.
    2. Indiana - Good win over an improved Maryland team ... scarily may be in line for a Big Ten title if Buckeyes don't qualify for title game.
    3. Northwestern - Inexcusable loss to a terrible Michigan State team after just cracking the National Top 10 college playoff rankings.
    4. Wisconsin - Still shocked how badly NW pummeled them.
    5. Maryland - Program on the rise, despite the loss this weekend.
    6. Iowa - Always seems to be in the game ... nothing special, but always competitive.
    7. Rutgers - Yes, that is correct: Rutgers is in the upper tier of this conference in 2020. Yep.
    8. Minnesota - Terrible start to the season, but playing much better football of late.
    9. Michigan State - A pretty terrible team, particularly on offense, but huge win over #8 Northwestern.
    10. Illinois - Saved by Covid this weekend, otherwise would have likely dropped after the inevitable whipping by OSU.
    11. Purdue - Loss to Rutgers ruins any early-season positive vibes.
    12. Penn State - "Big win" at Ann Arbor, possibly extending Franklin's lifeline.
    13. Michigan - Harbaugh is gone - NO chance he is around in 2021. Embarrassing on all levels.
    14. Nebraska - Sad to see this program at such a putrid level. Hope Frost turns things around.

• Franklin isn’t going anywhere. Nobody’s paying his $38MM buyout.