Catfish Biffs

Catfish Biffs

• Discussion
  • I hate how universities use their unlimited cash supply to buy up homes and businesses near campus, only to tear them down to put up a brick ping pong center for 20 million.

This post was edited by dkeener67 1 month ago

• dkeener67 said... (original post)I hate to how universities use their unlimited cash supply to buy up homes and businesses near campus, only to tear them down to put up a brick pi...

Yep,the youngsters at OSU now will never have the experience of Papa Joes, Crazy Mama's, Mean Mr Mustards, wading around in beer covered floors, drinking out of $4 buckets of beer on Wednesday night s at PJ's, hitting 32oz long island tea Tuesday nights at Crazy Mama's, hanging out with the old dude and hist dog at the Outr Inn and grabbing a large pizza at Catfishes on the way home from the bars. Good times man.

This post was edited by AlumneyeJ93 1 month ago

• Mean mr mustards was before my time. Papa joes, the serene, oar house, the underground and south berg were all within spitting distance. I have a glass pitcher and beer glasses from Papa Joe's. As well as a menu card. Should have stole a bucket too from that scheisse hole

What preceded Mean Mr Mustards?

• dkeener67 said... (original post)Mean mr mustards was before my time. Papa joes, the serene, oar house, the underground and south berg were all within spitting distance. I have a ...

Mean Mr. Mustards was around in the late 80s / early 90s when I would visit OSU, and I figured you were there before that. When were you at OSU?

• AlumneyeJ93 said... (original post)Yep,the youngsters at OSU now will never have the experience of Papa Joes, Crazy Mama's, Mean Mr Mustards, wading around in beer covered fl...

Buckets of beer with the ceiling falling into it! Damn brings back memories. What was the bar right next to Mustards? I’ve tried to think of the name many many times and can’t remember it

• BriGuy said... (original post)Buckets of beer with the ceiling falling into it! Damn brings back memories. What was the bar right next to Mustards? I’ve tried to think of the name ...

Park Alley?

• dkeener67 said... (original post)Mean mr mustards was before my time. Papa joes, the serene, oar house, the underground and south berg were all within spitting distance. I have a ...

I went there mid to late '80s. Mustard was a fixture. Papa Joe's was almost next door. In that same row, there was Park Alley, which I believe was by far the most popular. Then Park Alley renamed a part of it as High Energy. So it was basically the same establishment but showing two different names over two different doors. Further up was Mother Fletcher, which renamed itself Mining & Railroad Co. Across the street was Travel Agency and tucked away in a parking lot, Beer Stube.

Mother Fletcher was below the street level so you needed take a few steps down. The floor was always covered in a two inch layer of gunk - a mixture of liquor, various types of body fluids and other unsavory substance. So if you dropped something, you generally would leave it on the floor. Fights would invariably break out throughout the night at all the bars with sizable footfall. When you stepped out on the side walk, you'd embrace hordes of night revellers and the cops rolling out that steel wire along the curb so drunkards don't spill into the street and be hit by a car or a bus.

• I remember the steel cable, it may have actually saved me a time or two from falling out into High street.

Good call on Mother Fletcher's, I knew I was forgetting one.

This post was edited by AlumneyeJ93 1 month ago

• Park Alley was not next door to Mustard. The place next door was papa joe's or crazy mama's (kind of hard to separate papas from mamas) or South Heidelberg - one of those three.

• Kegs and eggs can't beat that morning tradition

• I remember the pizza places around campus being criminally awful, but a few were ok ... if I remember correctly, Adriaticos and Flying Pizza were solid. Houndogs was interesting because it had different levels of spicy sauce ... the rest? Barf. Gumby's was the biggest culprit (although I still ate it drunk MANY times LOL).

Unrelated, while BW3 was more popular, Buffalo Bills had the bomb wings, especially the spicy garlic ones. Damn that sounds good right now!

• HiFiver25 said... (original post)I went there mid to late '80s. Mustard was a fixture. Papa Joe's was almost next door. In that same row, there was Park Alley, which I b...

Forgot about the travel agency. I wonder, of the bars you named , which ones were previously the serene and the oar house and the underground. South Berg was just south of the oar house and serene. The latter two were across the street from papa Joe's. With the oar house being directly across the street from Papa Joes. This is what it looked like there in the late 70's when I was there

Still wondering what mean Mr. mustards was before the name change. Same as Crazy Mamas. And Mother Fletchers.

• dkeener67 said... (original post)Forgot about the travel agency. I wonder, of the bars you named , which ones were previously the serene and the oar house and the underground. Sou...

I was there in the mid 90s, most of these were no longer there except South Heiderlberg and Papa Joe's, which burned down shortly after I turned 21 (they were the "strictest" about underage drinking). Bier Stube was another longstanding stomping ground, but my haunts were Not Als (1 and 2), Cornerstone (the gated outdoor bar on High by the law building), Flying Pizza (the outdoor spot on 15th and High where all the fine sorority girls hung), Coeds and Out-R-Inn (which I believe is still operating, or at least it was a few years ago when I visited Cbus).

• Maybe in the next 25 years the UNI will buy and bulldoze everything north of lane up to Norwich because progress....

• Jaymar1 said... (original post)Kegs and eggs can't beat that morning tradition

Oh my goodness I'd forgotten about that!!!!!!!

• BigAppleBuckeye said... (original post)I was there in the mid 90s, most of these were no longer there except South Heiderlberg and Papa Joe's, which burned down shortly after ...

Yup use to go to the Out-R-Inn, Varsity Club as well as Hineygate (do they even still have it?). La Bamba's "Burritos as Big as your Head" and then there was a place you could get an awesome Gyro but I cant remember the name of it that my Hubs introduced me to. Legitimately the dude can pick some stellar places to eat.

• Buckeyechick said... (original post)Yup use to go to the Out-R-Inn, Varsity Club as well as Hineygate (do they even still have it?). La Bamba's "Burritos as Big as your ...

So many memories here BC!

The gyro place was Apollos ... I would always walk in drunk at 2am and ask for a gyro with American Cheese. Dude would mumble something in Greek but hook me up nonetheless LOL.

Hineygate is no longer where it used to be, as that Holiday Inn closed. I think they still do it, but likely not how we remember it with the big stage, Danger Brothers, etc.

And oh indeed, for some reason my idiot friends and I would always order at La Bambas the same way: "Give me a burrito as big as my F_CK!ING Head" LOL. Poor employees just shook their heads and got our grub.

• BigAppleBuckeye said... (original post)So many memories here BC!The gyro place was Apollos ... I would always walk in drunk at 2am and ask for a gyro with American Cheese. Dude wo...

LMBO!!!!! Yes that was the place. It was SO DANG GOOD!!!!

• dkeener67 said... (original post)Forgot about the travel agency. I wonder, of the bars you named , which ones were previously the serene and the oar house and the underground. Sou...

Was Oar House the one on Lane Ave off High that later changed name to Sideout? Kids living in Drackett and Taylor used to hang out there - I remember seeing them sitting on the concrete fence facing the street with legs dangling. Then right around the corner from there on High Street was The Library bar and some video store of ill repute in between.

There was another bar - it actually had more of a "pub" feel - on High closer to North Campus but south of Lane. People used to go there to drink Genesee (affectionately called Jenny's). It was frequented by upper classmen, grad students and the intellectual type. Close by was a place that made philly cheesesteak and truly awesome hand cut fries.

• 1 million doesn't get you much these days, does it.

• HiFiver25 said... (original post)Was Oar House the one on Lane Ave off High that later changed name to Sideout? Kids living in Drackett and Taylor used to hang out there - I remem...

The oar house was on high directly across from papa joes. Ken Kuhn was a bouncer there and he certainly enjoyed his job. Can't remember the bar on lane around the corner from the Lbrary. Great gyro place there too.

• The library was were my dad took me before game day ,owner Kip and his wife were the nicest people around ,used to sit and play first and ten college football in the arcade games in the back part of the bar oh to be 13 again lol

• To all of those reminiscing about the 80s-90s-early 2000s high street scene....I need someone to figure out something for me. There was a place on the Northeast corner of 15th and high....not the big restaurant but a smaller hole in the wall on the high street side that sold bagels and sandwiches....I can’t remember the name. I know it was there when my wife was there 98-02....anyone remember the name?

• Jaudio said... (original post)To all of those reminiscing about the 80s-90s-early 2000s high street scene....I need someone to figure out something for me. There was a place on th...

Don't know jaudio. That place probably lwasn't there in the late 70's during my massive 3.2% beer binges. FYIW, a bucket at Papa Joes held 5.5 pitchers. That's nuts.

• Jaymar1 said... (original post)The library was were my dad took me before game day ,owner Kip and his wife were the nicest people around ,used to sit and play first and ten colleg...

The library has been around forever. It was there in 75 and I think it's still there. Great place, used to go in there and drink on Christmas, lol.