Catfish Biffs

Catfish Biffs

• Anybody ever catch Willie Phoenix and the Shadowlords?
    I think I lost part of my hearing one night listening to him in a tiny bar that was in a basement, had to be on High street somewhere around 15-17th avenue maybe.

• AlumneyeJ93 said... (original post)Yep,the youngsters at OSU now will never have the experience of Papa Joes, Crazy Mama's, Mean Mr Mustards, wading around in beer covered fl...

Going through and past the campus area these days is depressing even in spite of all the new buildings and upgrades because with that comes a more sanitized version of what we all remember. Instead of all the places you mentioned in addition to the campus-area record shops, independent book stores and more, is Barnes and Noble, Target, Canes, etc.

• dkeener67 said... (original post)I hate how universities use their unlimited cash supply to buy up homes and businesses near campus, only to tear them down to put up a brick ping ...

I hate it as well. There's something about "upgrading" while being able to maintain the overall culture and tradition of a college campus and its surrounding area.

• BigAppleBuckeye said... (original post)So many memories here BC!The gyro place was Apollos ... I would always walk in drunk at 2am and ask for a gyro with American Cheese. Dude wo...

Needless to say those days are long gone.

Back in those days the campus area had lots of synergy and culture. That's all gone now. The campus area is now reminiscent of much of Manhattan in that regard.

• dkeener67 said... (original post)The library has been around forever. It was there in 75 and I think it's still there. Great place, used to go in there and drink on Christmas, lol...

Seen my first set of boobies there lol,dad used to give me 10 bucks to go to Arcade up the street and grab a whooper across the street ,usually get on campus around 9 am before a noon kickoff those were the days...
  • My wife and I were at OSU early 90’s. You mentioned a bunch of great places that are gone. Our daughter is a sophomore there now. So different. The only other place that hasn’t been mentioned that we liked was Chris Logsdon on Thursday nights at Street Scene.

• Jaymar1 said... (original post)Seen my first set of boobies there lol,dad used to give me 10 bucks to go to Arcade up the street and grab a whooper across the street ,usually get ...

Boobies at the Library? That has to be a total anomaly. Maybe Papa Joes, but the Library?

• I am old enough to rememberwhen Catfish Biff's was Shalom. The big sell was the Schwarma.

• AlumneyeJ93 said... (original post)Anybody ever catch Willie Phoenix and the Shadowlords?I think I lost part of my hearing one night listening to him in a tiny bar that was in a b...

I don't know about the place you are speaking of but Believe it or not Willie Phoenix is still playing.

• Airbuckeye said... (original post)My wife and I were at OSU early 90’s. You mentioned a bunch of great places that are gone. Our daughter is a sophomore there now. So different. T...

You missed the heyday of the '70's. Other bars not mentioned here include The Castle, the Agora, the Char-Bar, North Berg, Larry's. Plus some on Summit like Ruby Tuesdays or just north of the Library like the Blue Danube. I'm sure I'm forgetting several. Campus bars IIRC began with the Library to the North and ended with the Bier Stube south. And then there is the Varsity Club. At least it is still there.

• Newport used to get some halfway decent B listers although the cover on the Halloween night was hard to stomach. Anyway it was fun to go there to hang out with the groupies. They took it upon them to make sure everybody was having a good time.

There used to be an Arab or Israeli shawarma place note of the Library on the same side of the street. Forgot the name.

Oh..and the Sapporos from the gas stations.

• HiFiver25 said... (original post)Newport used to get some halfway decent B listers although the cover on the Halloween night was hard to stomach. Anyway it was fun to go there to ...

Newport has hosted some of the biggest names in music history, from Queen to Bowie to Pearl Jam. I’ve heard there is a great documentary about its history on Netflix, which I plan to see at some point.

During my time in CBus, my Newport concerts included Green Day, Foo Fighters and Dinosaur Jr.

LOVE that venue!

• BigAppleBuckeye said... (original post)Newport has hosted some of the biggest names in music history, from Queen to Bowie to Pearl Jam. I’ve heard there is a great documentary abo...

The most prominent band to play there in my time was 10,000 Maniacs.

I did catch Pink Floyd at the Shoe in ‘88 though.

• HiFiver25 said... (original post)The most prominent band to play there in my time was 10,000 Maniacs.I did catch Pink Floyd at the Shoe in ‘88 though.

I saw Floyd at the Shoe in 1994 ... from what a remember, it was fun! Lol

• Lots of great memories for me that have already been noted above that occurred on Lane Ave and on High St in 80s and 90s.

And the icing on the cake that no one mentioned was The Crawl after completing finals for the very last time before graduating.

Lane and High both should be renamed Lame and Low as both suck big time thanks to Campus Partners and tOSU... took a road trip to Rutgers last year and liked their local bar and restaurant scene on Easton Ave. Reminded me of what High Street used to look like - not overrun by big box stores and national restaurant chains.

Go BUCKS!!!
    OHIO STATE in ‘20!!!

• They paid a million dollars for that dump?

• dkeener67 said... (original post)You missed the heyday of the '70's. Other bars not mentioned here include The Castle, the Agora, the Char-Bar, North Berg, Larry's. ...

One of my material science professors used to hang out at the VC. He used to get this big smile on his face when we talked about vanadium carbides which of course are VC and drop a brief story about the bar. He was a good old dude, Englishmen I think. Name was Meyrick I believe. I eat lunch there once in a great while.

• HiFiver25 said... (original post)The most prominent band to play there in my time was 10,000 Maniacs.I did catch Pink Floyd at the Shoe in ‘88 though.

Was at the Floyd show in 88 center stage down on the field. Absolutely loved it.

• talbert39 said... (original post)I don't know about the place you are speaking of but Believe it or not Willie Phoenix is still playing.

I saw that when I googled him. He must have been pretty young when he was playing on campus when I saw him. He made that electric guitar scream like Jimi Hendrix.

• sugarcrystal said... (original post)Going through and past the campus area these days is depressing even in spite of all the new buildings and upgrades because with that comes a m...

There was a great used record store near south campus which we used to go in a lot but I can't think of the name of it.

The downfall for me was the ATM right near Papa Joes, maybe within 50 feet or so. Load up with cash on the way in and load up on cash for food on the way home. Usually Biffs pizza because it was on the way to my dorm, Bradley Hall.

• AlumneyeJ93 said... (original post)There was a great used record store near south campus which we used to go in a lot but I can't think of the name of it.The downfall for me ...

Magnolia Thunderpussy is the only one I can recall.

• dkeener67 said... (original post)Magnolia Thunderpussy is the only one I can recall.

I remember that too. Was it in the same block as long’s?

• dkeener67 said... (original post)Magnolia Thunderpussy is the only one I can recall.

Yes! Haven’t thought about that place in ages ... thanks for the flashback! Great spot.

• Singing Dog records around 16th was also great