Dabo once again tries to play the "Nobody respects us!" card.

Dabo once again tries to play the "Nobody respects us!" card.

• We know how he tried to play this angle up a year ago when Clemson didn't get the #1 seed in the CFP. Going on about how they were undefeated and the defending national champions yet weren't respected as such. That was part of his motivation in the game against TOSU in Glendale. And unfortunately it worked even though the Bucks had the momentum, more talent across the board and were up 16-0 at one point in the game.

Now here he is again saying how they're the "most disrespected team in the country," how no one is giving them a chance, etc. It's an old tactic that can only go so far and be so effective. No one on that team honestly believes that yet Dabo is doing all he can to try and work that idea into their psyches hoping that it'll motivate them to go out and play even better. Buckeye players and fans have been on the other side of this a few times. Most notably in the BCS Title Game against UF where Urban Meyer had four weeks to drill into his team's head how the media were counting them out. How the title game program had only 8 pages dedicated to the Gators and about 50 or more to the Bucks. And that worked. But that was legit. We had to use some of that same energy in preparation for the Canes in '02. But Dabo the gnat is being over the top here and he knows it. Only the Buckeyes can say they're THE most disrespected team in America.

Only the Bucks have had an entire network like E$PiN being against them. The recruiting rankings working against them where the top sites are based in the south and have a bit of a regional bias towards the Alabamas, Georgias and Clemsons. Where even NFL coaches and players were taking shots at the Bucks at one point (back during the Tressel era after the '06 and '07 title games). No one says that Clemson is "Clemsoning" anymore. At least not after 2012 when they won the Peach Bowl vs LSU. And sans getting whupped by FSU in the 2013 season, they've been on a roll pretty much. Dominating the ACC and going to five straight CFPs and playing in four of the last national title games. So WHAT disrespect Dumbo!?

• Discussion
  • He advocates for his team. It’s his job.
    Not sure why this would offend you.

• There’s no question the SEC home office in Birmingham doesn’t respect them. They buzzed in to overturn a half dozen calls to ensure LSU got to play Clemson instead of OSU.

• chuck0609 said... (original post)He advocates for his team. It’s his job. Not sure why this would offend you.

Quite simply because he’s annoying and more whiny than most women I know. There is advocating and then there is Dabo, I think there is a difference.

Eg. I can’t stand Saban, he has a reputation here in Alabama for being a bit nasty (I work with teens...athletes and high school coaches from multiple schools). He’s scornful and rude to the media BUT he can advocate for his team without sounding like a whiny 2 year old. Just my opinion, a bit of a harsh one, but my opinion nevertheless.

This post was edited by Buckeyechick 2 months ago

• PDHeaton said... (original post)There’s no question the SEC home office in Birmingham doesn’t respect them. They buzzed in to overturn a half dozen calls to ensure LSU got to play ...

K this actually made me laugh.

• chuck0609 said... (original post)He advocates for his team. It’s his job. Not sure why this would offend you.

I didn't say anything was wrong with it per se. The only issue is when you overplay that card a bit too much--especially as vociferous and public as he is with it.

• Buckeyechick said... (original post)Quite simply because he’s annoying and more whiny that most women I know. There is advocating and then there is Dabo, I think there is a differ...

EXACTLY!

And thank you for being probably the only one here who gets it.

• PDHeaton said... (original post)There’s no question the SEC home office in Birmingham doesn’t respect them. They buzzed in to overturn a half dozen calls to ensure LSU got to play ...

We win NC if were number one seed
  • sugarcrystal said... (original post)EXACTLY!And thank you for being probably the only one here who gets it.

He's annoying with that stuff. Reminds me of Lou Holtz always poor mouthing his Irish. The schtick gets old after a while, and it becomes too phony.

• Playing the victim card works for many different people in different situations. I don’t get it, ever.

But of course, I’m also the guy that has listened to several Ray Lewis locker room speeches and didn’t have one ounce of motivation at all. In fact, I find pretty much every locker room speech similar to a bad re-run playing continually on a loop. It all sounds fake to me....but it fires up a lot of people....so it must be “real”. Same for the victim card with Dabo. Seems fake to me, but must play well with college football players.

• dkeener67 said... (original post)He's annoying with that stuff. Reminds me of Lou Holtz always poor mouthing his Irish. The schtick gets old after a while, and it becomes too phon...

Hate dabo hope Irish kick there **** in acc championship game garentees there not in playoffs
  • Jaudio said... (original post)Playing the victim card works for many different people in different situations. I don’t get it, ever.But of course, I’m also the guy that has listen...

If it's really real, the players around you will feel it. It will resonate with them on a very emotional, personal level to where it'll propel them to go out and carry out the mission on the field.

So no not all of it's fake. Some of it is VERY REAL. When Meyer told the team in early 2012 how he wants a "pissed off, angry team." That wasn't said just to be saying it. He knew he didn't have a roster full of athletic talent. Didn't have the requisite skill position players on offense to do all he'd hoped he could do, so he had to find motivational factors to move many of the grizzled and disgruntled vets to action. Then he had to get them to buy in with those water toasts prior to the Michigan State game that season.

But it's clear that Dabo once again is making a mountain out of a molehill. So while that tidbit of motivation he tried to give the team about how they were being disrespected by not getting the #1 seed as the defending national champions, etc., worked a bit, it doesn't have the same meaning now as they're currently not defending national champions. A team that has again played in all but one CFP and played in all but two national title games, is not a team that's disrespected.

Tom Allen tried that BS last week in the pre and postgame lockerroom. "We didn't come here to get close. And we came up short! That's not what we wanted." Then turn around and get thrashed by Maryland tomorrow. Maybe. Or, P.J. Fleck in the pregame of TOSU vs Western Michigan game in 2015 where he tells the team about the Bucks, "They've never won the national title when they enter a season #1. Maybe you could be the team to do it!"

• Jaymar1 said... (original post)Hate dabo hope Irish kick there **** in acc championship game garentees there not in playoffs

That's what I like hearing. Clemson is the ultimate enemy no matter how much we may clown ND or even TTUN.

Learn to despise orange and white the way we do maize and blue is what I say. I hate Gator orange and Tiger orange.

• Buckeyechick said... (original post)Quite simply because he’s annoying and more whiny than most women I know. There is advocating and then there is Dabo, I think there is a differ...

Don’t disagree at all.

But the squeaky wheel gets oiled. He knows his confernce is perceived to be weak, so he continually advocates for his team.

I actually think Day should start doing this a bit, especially if OSU doesn’t get to play in the BIG championship.

• sugarcrystal said... (original post)I didn't say anything was wrong with it per se. The only issue is when you overplay that card a bit too much--especially as vociferous and ...

It works for him.

I agree he’s annoying as hell and his conference stinks, but he’s keeping his team in the hunt.

• Jaymar1 said... (original post)We win NC if were number one seed

Not if Dobbins gets hurt in like he did vs Clemson. The offense went to hell until he came limping back.

• chuck0609 said... (original post)Don’t disagree at all. But the squeaky wheel gets oiled. He knows his confernce is perceived to be weak, so he continually advocates for his team. ...

That's right. Pull an Urban Meyer on them circa December 2006 when he went before the BCS committee to advocate for Florida getting in the BCS Title Game. Making the argument that TTUN had their shot at TOSU and how it wasn't fair to the Bucks to have to play them again. How UF plays in the toughest conference, etc. And of course it worked to great effect.