Drake and Gene Smith need to GO

Drake and Gene Smith need to GO

Arrow6
  • o5iiawah said... (original post) OSU hasnt thrown anything at Chase nor has the NCAA. OSU was made aware of Chase self reporting the loan and acted pre-emptively.

No, Chase Young didn't self report, he admitted taking the loan and paying it back when a third party reported it to TOSU Compliance Office, who in turn, self-reported to the NCAA and suspended Young indefinitely on Saturday. TOSU Compliance Office and NCAA enforcement appear to be headed to doling out a 4 game suspension, making a pointless example of Young, and effectively ending his college career and our chance at a NC.

Considering the mild nature of the infraction, this is the very example of over zealousness, throwing the book at a young man for borrowing a few bucks so his girlfriend could go to the Rose Bowl. This young man is literally going to be worth millions in a few short months. This is preposterous.
  • JAG24 said... (original post) No, Chase Young didn't self report, he admitted taking the loan and paying it back when a third party reported it to TOSU Compliance Office, who in t...

And ive never doubted that it isnt. Im a staunch defender of players owning their N.I.L and think the NCAA should be radically reformed or done away with altogether. I just dont understand this mentality of hide/deflect/defend from so many OSU fans who wish we operated like Memphis Basketball, the SEC or the Miami Hurricanes.

• JAG24 said... (original post) No, Chase Young didn't self report, he admitted taking the loan and paying it back when a third party reported it to TOSU Compliance Office, who ...

This guy clearly has no clue how this entire situation evolved. He’s just trying to get his “moral” talking points across by moving the goal posts to fit his flawed argument. You’re wasting your time arguing.

• I agree that they both should be gone. I've had about enough of both of them especially Drake even though Gene's been here a lot longer than he has.

But what'll likely prove why Gene should go is the fact that it's him who's telling his staff and the media that Chase Young's suspension will not be four games as ESPN is reporting. If it turns out that it will be and Gene's office is insisting that it won't, that'll be another instance when he struck out on his prediction as it relates to how exactly the NCAA will respond or handle a situation regarding his athletic program. Recall it was Gene who thought that by willingly handing over the Sugar Bowl trophy and vacating wins from the 2010 season that it'd be enough to soften the NCAA's blow on the program in the aftermath of "Tattoogate." It didn't. He opted for a bowl appearance in 2011 and missed out on one in 2012 because of the imposed bowl band. That would've been a national championship team that season. Trust me. We would've throttled ND even with a depleted roster as we had at that time. Thanks Gene.

Then of course Drake was completely off code in his whole dissent in the Meyer/Zach Smith suspension controversy just over a year ago. What this shows and proves is why whoever this university hires as it's next president that they need to find someone who doesn't look at the athletic program as an albatross around the university's neck. Both Drake and Karen Holbrook looked at it that way while Gee was a master at facilitating both. Likewise with Britt Kirwan who came from the University of Maryland and understood the balance between athletics and academics. Holbrook and now Drake believe essentially that athletics should be more like glorified intramurals and that they turn the school itself into Northwestern or Stanford. And believe that in order to do so, less emphasis needs to be placed on athletics. That was the mindset of Big Ten presidents of the far distant past. Essentially they're the type who if they could, ban the Bucks from big bowl games no different than the university president did here back in the '61 season.

Lastly and as the OP aptly pointed out, both are siding with the NCAA while our rival schools to the south in the SEC inparticular are moving fast and furiously toward a ruling to allow student athletes to be able to profit off from their name, image and likeness. Ohio and this university as usual are dragging their heels in moving forward on this matter.

• DZforTHREE said... (original post) If he gets more than 2 games then these clowns need ran out of town. Bunch of cowards shielding their own images with the student athletes whom ...

They're definitely cowards and wusses. The ultimate company men.

• I heard Kirk Barton yesterday on Wall to Wall Sports speak on this situation and was quite frank in saying how they need to deal with this situation like they do in the SEC which is to be dogged in their stance and position. Don't bend, don't bow just handle it your way and if reporters and other critics don't like it, then basically tell them to eff off. TOSU, and the B1G in general as he aptly pointed out will just throw themselves at the mercy of the NCAA and even the players under the bus and give up wins and whatever else to appease Indianapolis. Not the SEC who still comes out on top in spite of not capitulating to the governing body.

• I suspect what might happen is this.

OSU suspended CY while the NCAA is notified and an investigation takes place. This week we will probably hear from the NCAA that there was a violation based upon the investigation done by OSU. The NCAA will hand down a 2 game suspension, which will begin NEXT week, through the PSU game. The one game served was imposed by OSU athletics department so as not to put any wins in jeopardy while the investigation takes place. I hope we hear by mid week, and that this doesn’t drag even further, continuing to push out the imposed NCAA suspension.

This post was edited by DaytonBuckeye 3 months ago

• user generated

• DZforTHREE said... (original post) These morons once again jeopardize our season by playing the NCAAs ****** and bending over and asking to be f%cked by Daddy Mark Emmert and the ...

Please quit stating the obvious.

• Cmhguy2020 said... (original post) @buckeyenutjob Tell that to the sec they lawyer up and deny everything and suffer zero repercussions everytime. Versus Drake and gene smith'...

OSU self reported about Micah Parsons and quit recruiting him. It might have been a minor infraction, but no repercussions other than he went to PSU.

Tressell tried to cover things up and it blew up in OSU's face. It could have been worse, so a one year bowl ban was light. Smith should have taken it the year Fickel coached, so he made a mistake. But what has happened is OSU has built a juggernaut based on the football program, the academics, and the brotherhood of the teammates and coaches.

I'm sorry Chase Young got suspended - I don't blame him. I don't know how all these things are handled. His chances of getting the Heisman were nil anyways compared to a qb's chances. I haven't heard who told the coaches or administration about it. But Gene Smith's obligations are to the TEAM and not one star individual.

About the SEC - I don't know what's truth or what is jealousy over Bama's success. I have more important things to worry about.

• Haven't seen any suggestions as to who OSU should be seeking out as President and new AD.

Or are us posters not nearly qualified enough to know who has the skills for these jobs but absolutely qualified to have these men fired?

• buhkeiz said... (original post) Haven't seen any suggestions as to who OSU should be seeking out as President and new AD.Or are us posters not nearly qualified enough to know ...

Most posters haven't thought that far. They are just out for blood that those sissy liberal cucks that run OSU's administration don't have the spine to run the athletic department in the same way as Mississippi State or Memphis.

• Gene Smith has done a solid job at OSU. Perfect? Not by any stretch.......but he isn't the incompetent boob that many in this thread think either. Guy is managing a $100m business and doing a good job of it.

I'm sure he's sorry he wasn't prescient enough in 2011 to see an undefeated season in 2012 that he should consider when dealing with the bogus tattoo mess......

• Buckeyenutjob said... (original post) OSU self reported about Micah Parsons and quit recruiting him. It might have been a minor infraction, but no repercussions other than he went ...

It amazes me how many so called Buckeye fans and alums don't know the truth about what went down with Jim Tressel. Again, Tressel reported it to Gene who then decided to not act on it. Tressel took the fall for the University. Stop talking about things you don't know. Gene Smith has been a disaster here. He's the common denominator in tarnishing two legendary coaches. Doug Archie is the most incompetent of them all. The Drake is a PC coward and in way over his head. Get them all out of here. A bunch of fake Buckeyes!
  • Tress didnt report anything to Gene. Thats fake news homey.

Tressel was first notified of the arrangement in April 2010 when he received several e-mails from Chris Cicero, a local attorney and former Ohio State walk-on football player. Tressel never forwarded the e-mails, nor the information contained in them about potential violations, to his school's compliance office or the NCAA. Although Tressel had held the position of Athletic Director at Youngstown State, Tressel's excuse was that he did not know whom to contact when he learned of the alleged violations. Tressel also later claimed not to have acted because of concerns about the confidentiality of the information, yet he immediately forwarded the first e-mail to Terrelle Pryor's mentor.

UtahBuckeye getting all his info from Zach Smith...

• Your dumb **** knows nothing! You are the moron who definitely needs to go or at least desist from writing this garbage!

• Why don’t you and the rest of the morons on this thread go suck on Jim Jordan’s A hole!

• When Gene Smith didn't ban the team from playing in a bowl game after going 6-6 thinking we wouldn't get a ban, and the next season it cost us the National Title, he should have been gone

• o5iiawah said... (original post) Most posters haven't thought that far. They are just out for blood that those sissy liberal cucks that run OSU's administration don't have the spi...

Memphis received NCAA clearance that Wiseman was eligible in May. The NCAA, with no additional information, decide to renege after the first game. I admire that they have the backbone to stand up to the NCAA. It's the right thing to do.

• buhkeiz said... (original post) Tress didnt report anything to Gene. Thats fake news homey.Tressel was first notified of the arrangement in April 2010 when he received several e-m...

You're wrong and clueless. You're an outsider so I understand how you're confused. If you believe what you wrote then you're incompetent. Coach Tressel handled it appropriately. Many know this. Those close to the program know the truth.
  • TheUtahBuckeye said... (original post) You're wrong and clueless. You're an outsider so I understand how you're confused. If you believe what you wrote then you're incompetent. Co...

I've heard the rumor that Tressel reported to Gene and it was decided he would take the fall, but my recollection of his official testimony and what happened is what the OP stated.

I also presumed wrongly that Gene Smith was in bed with Urban on the ZS crap. As it turned out, Gene had told Meyer not to hire ZS. So, in fairness, I didn't blame Gene on that fiasco except for the fact he should have put his foot down and told Meyer he couldn't hire that idiot.

But it is pretty clear at this point that Doug Archie is some sort of NCAA rules zealot, and the fact that Gene has no control over this maniacal but case is testament to his weak leadership.
  • JAG24 said... (original post) I've heard the rumor that Tressel reported to Gene and it was decided he would take the fall, but my recollection of his official testimony and what ...

Coach Tressel is very particular and detailed. Very calculated and intelligent. He knew what he was doing. His love for the University won out. He did indeed take the fall. There's a reason Ohio State was so willing to compensate him afterwards and why the University has celebrated him ever since that day. Former players and those closely involved with what went down have clued us to the truth.

I'm just not going to sit idly by and let some posters tarnish a man inaccurately. It's disrespectful and they're badly misinformed. It's frustrating to see.

This post was edited by TheUtahBuckeye 3 months ago

• o5iiawah said... (original post) So Chase reports, OSU does nothing and tells Chase not to worry. Then it comes out later from another source and the problem is 100x worse affecti...

You are basing this off of trusting the system that is the NCAA. They have proven on multiple occasions to be inconsistent. Remember when the Tat-5 were allowed to play in the bowl game and then suspended the next year? That made absolutely no sense. This is the problem, nobody trusts the system. So why get involved with something you don't trust. I hope things come out good and reasonable, but there have been numerous examples where the NCAA has not been reasonable.

• TheUtahBuckeye said... (original post) It amazes me how many so called Buckeye fans and alums don't know the truth about what went down with Jim Tressel. Again, Tressel repor...

Only wish I could give you more UP votes. Bottom Line: Both these bafoons are taking money under false pretenses.