Eligibility After 2020

Eligibility After 2020

• With 2020 being a freebie year as far as eligibility goes, what does that mean for a lot of these Seniors? Do they come back? The LB group could come back for yet another year? Would younger players transfer potentially because they have to sit behind a Sr for yet another year longer? How does this impact scholly counts for the next 3 years?

• Discussion
  • I agree that it is an issue. They extended eligibility without adding additional scholarships. Not a very practical solution.

• Browning, Boren and Werner have been the starting LB trio here for a third straight season. And that's not an issue typically as much as it is for the fact that this program has recruited numerous solid 4 and 5-star LB talent here yet those three remain the starters.
    So I couldn't imagine the Mitchells, Popes and Gants wanting to stick around to continue in the role of second and third string.

• buckeyebmr said... (original post)With 2020 being a freebie year as far as eligibility goes, what does that mean for a lot of these Seniors? Do they come back? The LB group could ...

Here is what I found, so anyone coming back won't count toward the scholarship limit but the school is obviously financially responsible. I would be frustrated if I was a sophomore finally going to get my chance and the senior i'm backing up comes back but football coaches have to put the best product on the field to win as they can. I don't think this will benefit OSU, Alabama and the other big schools whose players go onto the NFL, but smaller schools is suddenly going to have a senior top heavy team. Might have a lot of good teams next year.

"Granting an extra year of eligibility could bring plenty of complications for schools, however. The NCAA's announcement said seniors student-athletes who take advantage of the additional year of eligibility will not count against team scholarship limits in 2021-22. But even with temporarily-expanded scholarship limits, athletic departments dealing with significant budget shortfalls may not be in position to spend more on athletic scholarships."

• Marty16x1 said... (original post)Here is what I found, so anyone coming back won't count toward the scholarship limit but the school is obviously financially responsible. I would ...

Thanks
  • Whoever has a satisfactory draft grade will go.
    Whoever doesn't think they will get on the field will transfer.
    Whoever thinks that another year will help them will take advantage of the freebie.
    Whoever has aspirations and a job waiting in another field will move on.
    Same as all other years.