Etienne returning, why can’t we ever get guys to stay?

Etienne returning, why can’t we ever get guys to stay?

• Seems like ‘Bama, Clemson always get guys to stay even when they could leave and be 1st rounders while our guys bail ASAP. Etienne for sure would have gone higher than JK yet he’s returning and JK is gone. It’s really frustrating. Can you imagine this team with JK, Okudah and Chase back next year?

• Discussion
  • We just got Shaun Wade to come back

• In what world do an abundance of Bama first rounders stay???

• OSUfromcal said... (original post)We just got Shaun Wade to come back

No kidding. Shaun Wade doesnt count?

• They're probably getting paid more. Lol

• Of course Wade counts but he was a possible first rounder, likely 2nd rounder. We are talking about surefire 1st rounders turning down the $ to come back for another year.

• You mean like Wade, or Hill last year, or Barrett before that, or both linemen that was going to be possibly be a big question mark next season.

• OSUBuckeyes7 said... (original post)Of course Wade counts but he was a possible first rounder, likely 2nd rounder. We are talking about surefire 1st rounders turning down the $ to ...

On;y Alex Leatherwood and MAYBE Etienne count on that list and I think they are both making a mistake IMHO. The injury bug can hit anyone at any time. NFL teams have shown they certainly devalue injured players and as laudable as NCAA fans act when players come back to school, those same fans dont give a ***** about those same players after they exhaust eligibility. Also lost count of how many other Clemson players NOT named Etienne who are turning pro though. 7 or 8 last I heard? Our program isnt any better or worse about players leaving early than any other big time program.

• I hate that he's coming back because it keeps them where they were on offense. But we have gotten some key guys back over the years. It's just not the trend right now. Wade was a huge get, along with our O line. Our offense will be really really good next year. Can't really complain.

• bfbuckeye said... (original post)On;y Alex Leatherwood and MAYBE Etienne count on that list and I think they are both making a mistake IMHO. The injury bug can hit anyone at any t...

The year before all those DL stayed for another year when when probably would have been drafted in the first round. I'm bummed Etienne is coming back, because outside of Harrison our LBs are the same. I think Browning turns into a Harrison-like impact player, but I hope the young studs get rotated in for meaningful snaps.

But more importantly, how does Dabo get the coaches to stay every year? LSU loses Brady, OSU loses Hafley, and Saban usually loses a coach or two.

• Not a smart move on Etienne's behalf IMO. The running back position is one where tread on the tires is limited, and why chew a layer off in college. Of course, maybe he feels good, likes college life and ,wants another crack at a NC. It's not as if he's being torn to shreds in the ACC And maybe he doesn't need or value the money for whatever the reason. We're all built differently.

If and when these student athletes are given the right to earn through endorsements, we may see more guys staying on.

• JAG24 said... (original post)Not a smart move on Etienne's behalf IMO. The running back position is one where tread on the tires is limited, and why chew a layer off in colle...

Good points, JAG!

• I have no problem with a revolving door between OSU and the NFL. It only keeps the revolving door from 4 and 5 star recruits moving between high school and OSU.

• Maybe he got a 2nd round grade & the RB class is deep .

Still doesn’t make sense coming back. Maybe he just likes school.

• ghBuck23 said... (original post)Maybe he got a 2nd round grade & the RB class is deep .Still doesn’t make sense coming back. Maybe he just likes school.

To quote one of ours, I highly doubt Etienne came to play school

• Most on this board don't wan to pay their tax bill. They wouldn't stay and pass up first round money. Etienne coming back is probably not wise. In fact, given the shelf life an NFL running back, it is stupid. JK, Okudah, and Chase coming back would have been dumb on various levels. First round picks tend to leave. ...and it makes sense. I don't see any college having an edge on keeping talent around a year beyond their NFL eligibility.

• I remember reading that Etienne was the 4th rated RB. In 2020 that isn't a 1st round guarantee. Perhaps he wants to bump his stock to 1st round. Perhaps he made a promise to someone to get his diploma. Either way Clemson is at a position as a program that they'll be fine at the skills-if Etienne wouldve left that team wouldn't miss a beat

• Entienne is not a first rounder

• He had 10 carries for 36 yards and a long run of 8 yards against us. Seems like a first round draft pick to me. Etienne kind of disappeared on the big stage thus far while JK put in his best work on the big stage (PSU, UM, Wiscy twice, and Clemson). Don't really understand the concern here but OK.

• talbert39 said... (original post)He had 10 carries for 36 yards and a long run of 8 yards against us. Seems like a first round draft pick to me. Etienne kind of disappeared on the ...

Didn't he score twice against us this year?
  • In the NFL now you have to play for the second contract and a RB's life is very short in the NFL. If you're a first or second round pick at RB why in the world would you come back. Personally i think its a poor choice for Etienne if he does come back, maybe he received a low draft score.

• OSUBuckeyes7 said... (original post)Seems like ‘Bama, Clemson always get guys to stay even when they could leave and be 1st rounders while our guys bail ASAP. Etienne for sure wou...

a top running back is crazy to come back, to short of a career

• I am enjoying this thread, but on the other hand, I don't really care whether Etienne comes back or not.

• Well no way Chase was returning and as expected, likewise with Okudah. I think Dobbins felt himself in the same predicament as Antonio Pittman did after 2006 with Beanie wells champing at the bit to get PT. But also remember that Dobbins is a RB and as we know RBs have a short-life span so you try and get what you can when you can. I think whoever drafts him barring he can stay healthy, will gain a determined and hungry draft pick.
    But to the larger point here, it wouldn't surprise me if Clemson is paying guys under the table. There's some level of incentivizing guys to stay in that ********* town and in that ********* state for such a prolonged period. I'm curious as to how so many guys have gotten their degrees within three, three-and-a half years such as DeShaun Watson and Christian Wilkins. And then not to mention Brent Venables and Chad Morris before him. They don't lose assistants or guys early to the draft by and large. I don't believe it's some magic formula or Dabo being on his knees in deep prayer hoping that his god will grant him staff and roster consistency.

Finally as far as Etienne goes, let him return. We'll just have to bust his knee caps on the field a la Will Allen on Willis McGahee. That is if it doesn't happen prior to our next postseason against them.

• ghBuck23 said... (original post)Maybe he got a 2nd round grade & the RB class is deep .Still doesn’t make sense coming back. Maybe he just likes school.

I'm sure there's a reason he likes school so much and I doubt if it has to do with the partying or getting his degree. Clemson has something going on and IMHO it's beyond "good luck" or Dabo having mastered the formula for how to maintain a staff and roster without much turnover from season to season.

• sugarhill6 said... (original post)Most on this board don't wan to pay their tax bill. They wouldn't stay and pass up first round money. Etienne coming back is probably n...

Exactly. And I don't think we should feel down about any of those three leaving because we knew coming into this past season that it'd be a high probability that both Chase and Okudah would leave. Dobbins was the question mark but we also knew that if he had a solid season, that it was about 70-30 he'd leave as well. We lost the underclassmen we pretty much expected to and no more.

We saw how after years like 2006 and 2015 how guys who weren't even projected to go pro, bolted. Bolted in large part because they were close with the guys who were projected first-round picks. They figured that since they came in together that they'd leave together as well. This is why the likes of Antonio Pittman, Jalin Marshall among others left before they should have. And for Wade to not feel the pressure to leave with Okudah and Arnette was telling. I think part of it was also because he was getting sound advice from his father as well. Last year it was Arnette getting sound advice from Cris Carter who damn near blew a gasket when he learned that he was considering a move to the NFL.