Herbie: OSU to miss MSU game too

Herbie: OSU to miss MSU game too

• Don’t kill the messenger, but Kirk Herbstret just said on Gameday that Ohio State will avoid its facilities for 10 days and, at a minimum, will miss next week’s Michigan State game.

I’m sure this will inspire venomous replies about Herbie, but the content of the message is truly disappointing if true.

OSU’s title hopes now rest on multiple other postponements lowering the average number of per-team conference games, somehow re-opening the door for the Buckeyes to qualify for the Big Ten championship game.

Eff 2020 ...

• Discussion
  • BigAppleBuckeye said... (original post)Don’t kill the messenger, but Kirk Herbstret just said on Gameday that Ohio State will avoid its facilities for 10 days and, at a minimum, w...

Season has a big asterisk on it for all college teams should just pack it up wait for all our new stud recruits to come in next year and move on,I'm over this year and season ..
  • Can we just sched the scUM game and just ***** everything else at this point? At least salvage something....

• Missing MSU is to be expected.

• Random solution if we miss next week, thus not qualify for the Big Ten title game:

1. Whip Michigan.

2. Schedule Wisconsin the week of the conference title game, and whip the Badgers.

OSU would finish 7-0 and would have beaten a ranked team to end the season ... at least be part of the conversation.

Sigh.

• BigAppleBuckeye said... (original post)Random solution if we miss next week, thus not qualify for the Big Ten title game:1. Whip Michigan.2. Schedule Wisconsin the week of the con...

Best idea yet.

All of this sucks hard, but at least the right people fought hard so we could at least watch SOME football this year. Yes....there is a gigantic asterisk beside every team for this season.

• Season. Is. Over.

• No.

This post was edited by Buckeyechick 1 month ago

• We need Michigan to decisively win the next two games for the sake of optics.

• HiFiver25 said... (original post)We need Michigan to decisively win the next two games for the sake of optics.

Stupid. We don't EVER need scUM to win for any reason.

• I pretty much agree. For us to make it to the BCS at 5-0 I think we will need every other team but 3 to lose at least 2 games. I think it'll be very tough for them to put us in over a team that has a record of, say, 9-1 or 10-1 when we the BIG did this to ourselves.
  • BuckTattoo said... (original post)Stupid. We don't EVER need scUM to win for any reason.

Speak for yourself. I’m not complicit in your idiocy.

• Luckily one need not qualify for their CCG in order to make the playoffs, as Bama has demonstrated a time or two.

• ShammyBuck said... (original post)Luckily one need not qualify for their CCG in order to make the playoffs, as Bama has demonstrated a time or two.

Again I think it will be difficult for them to put us at 5-0 in over a team that is 9-1 or 10-1. A team with that record could complain greatly that we would probably have a loss if we had played that many games. I think our only shot now is for every other team but 3 to have at least 2 losses.
  • Has the MSU game officially been canceled? Until it’s official, maybe there’s hope.
    If it is, all we have left is scUM, and a total beat down in columbus would provide some satisfaction.
    If any SEC team or Clemson wins the natty, there will be no talk of an asterisk. If a non-SEC team or anyone but clemson wins; ESPN will be carrying the narrative that this season’s champion should have an asterisk.
    F 2020. 2021 looks worse unfortunately on all fronts (football, politics, economy, life in general).

• UBUCKEYE2 said... (original post)Again I think it will be difficult for them to put us at 5-0 in over a team that is 9-1 or 10-1. A team with that record could complain greatly th...

It won’t be 5-0. Everybody plays an extra game on the CCG week. Ohio State will play Wisconsin.

• HiFiver25 said... (original post)It won’t be 5-0. Everybody plays an extra game on the CCG week. Ohio State will play Wisconsin.

I hope you're right
  • While it might be easy to blame the B1G or the university presidents who voted to cancel the season, I'm not going to do that. I think they did what they felt was the best thing to do at the time and when the PAC10 followed suit most people figured all the other conferences would follow suit and there's be no football this year. There was even speculation the NFL wouldn't play. Even the Olympics was postponed which has never happened before (they were cancelled during the two world wars, not postponed). Several other smaller conferences cancelled the season as well and some cancelled every fall sport. The NBA played in a bubble. I'm not sure anyone would have ever envisioned what has gone on this year. It's as if the blizzard of 1978 that lasted for nine months. It's definitely been a strange year so we should be grateful to have seen as much football as we have, including high school football.

It would be nice to see them at least be able to thrash scUM again.

• jaxfloridabuck said... (original post)While it might be easy to blame the B1G or the university presidents who voted to cancel the season, I'm not going to do that. I think they d...

Terrible take. Just awful rationale.
  • They just mentioned that Gene Smith said OSU did not reach the threshold to have the 7-day shutdown of facilities. That means the MSU game is still a possibility. Had they reached that threshold it would have been a mandatory 7-day shutdown. As it is, OSU imposed the shutdown in order to get it under control.

• jaxfloridabuck said... (original post)They just mentioned that Gene Smith said OSU did not reach the threshold to have the 7-day shutdown of facilities. That means the MSU game is ...

Never should've canceled. Gene is incompetent and continues to screw us as our AD. He is an extension of Notre Dame.
  • jaxfloridabuck said... (original post)They just mentioned that Gene Smith said OSU did not reach the threshold to have the 7-day shutdown of facilities. That means the MSU game is ...

That’s very promising news, thanks for sharing man! I believe you, but do you mind sharing the source?

Hope.

• BuckTattoo said... (original post)Stupid. We don't EVER need scUM to win for any reason.

Consider the source.

• ESPN Game Day just mentioned it. Apparently Gene Smith had a Zoom conference. It's probably available online somewhere.

• Don't trust Gene. He's isn't a Buckeye and doesn't have our best interests in mind. Season is over. We're not playing against MSU and we are eliminated from the conference title game. If gene and the incompetent leaders at OSU canceled against Illinois then they will cancel against MSU or MSU will cancel. It's over.

• jaxfloridabuck said... (original post)ESPN Game Day just mentioned it. Apparently Gene Smith had a Zoom conference. It's probably available online somewhere.

Just have to hope it doesn’t continue to spread throughout the team and coaching staff during the course of the week.