It's Time to Question 2020

It's Time to Question 2020

Arrow4
  • Any serious Ohio State fan comes into this season with a burning desire to avenge the loss to Clemson last year. That's where we are. The 2019 team looked like a National Champion, and Clemson dashed our hopes. We were heartbroken, and we want another chance. I had more faith in the 2019 team than any other Ohio State team I've ever watched, dating back to 1979. And I've watched 'em all very closely since.

Clemson looks just as good this year as they were last year. They'll be a tough opponent once again. To beat them, you have to limit their scoring ability and match them offensively. It's a tall order.

Yesterday's game gave us a glimpse of whether the 2020 has the ability to play at that level. And I think the result makes it seriously questionable. The concerns start with the defense. Last year's team had three first-round NFL draft picks at corner and a top-three pick at defensive end. Those players allowed the team to play in a highly aggressive manner against the pass, often using a single-high safety and dropping eight men into the box to stop the run game. Opposing offenses were befuddled and sputtered. Those players are now gone, replaced by lesser ones. The defense can't possibly play in the same manner. Teams will score more points against the 2020 Buckeyes.

Offensively the team was led by a combination of a great passer, very good receivers, and one of the nation's top running backs. The running back is gone, replaced by lesser players. The run game will suffer. The passer is a year better, and the receiving corps may have actually improved. The offensive line has three new starters -- good ones -- but it'll take time for the unit to gel. And the team has only eight games for that to happen, not the customary 12.

This team lost seven of last year's players -- nearly a third of its starters -- to the first three rounds of the NFL draft. That's an awful lot of talent to lose in one year. The quarterback and receivers are better, but I believe there is a legitimate question whether an abbreviated season provides enough time and experience for the other parts of the starting roster to gel and improve sufficiently to compete against the likes of Clemson.

We shall see of course. But I think it's time to question what the 2020 team can achieve.

• Discussion
  • We have a season to improve. Win against PSU we have a great chance to make the playoff IMHO. Then I wouldn’t bet against Fields.

• I’m glad we play the game, or else we could just give Clemson the title now.

Please, this is game 1. We lost a ton of talent. Clemson and Bama will be in the same boat next year, and we’ll maintain most of our talent

• Summit Street said... (original post)Any serious Ohio State fan comes into this season with a burning desire to avenge the loss to Clemson last year. That's where we are. The 2019 ...

GTFO here Osu has as good as defense and definitely as good as offense as Bama and Clemson take a hike troll
  • Summit Street said... (original post)Any serious Ohio State fan comes into this season with a burning desire to avenge the loss to Clemson last year. That's where we are. The 2019 ...

And FYI Braska had 3 fen points in second half while Clemson was in andog fight with fen Syracuse spare me ur thoughts dog
  • Jaymar1 said... (original post)And FYI Braska had 3 fen points in second half while Clemson was in andog fight with fen Syracuse spare me ur thoughts dog

You can be spared my thoughts very easily by putting me on ignore, which I will now be doing with you.

• Summit Street said... (original post)You can be spared my thoughts very easily by putting me on ignore, which I will now be doing with you.

Cause ur knowledge is laughable at football Osu has as good as team as Bama Clemson and Georgia,ur going off one goddam game with lots of new guys,Osu has one of the best olines and Offense in the country yes there gonna have to out score some people ,these threads and posts are ridiculously ridiculing a team and a bunch of new starters that won a game by 5 tds,take a lap spud

This post was edited by Jaymar1 2 months ago

• Summit Street said... (original post)You can be spared my thoughts very easily by putting me on ignore, which I will now be doing with you.

We'll ur a troll so go bash another squad
  • OSU does not know what it has on defense yet. Nebraska was one dimensional - the secondary was not tested much. We don't know what we have in Sermon - it's too early to say the running game is a bust. And OSU shut down Etienne in the game last year - Lawrence made up for it and then some. I think the offense will be better than last year's due to Fields with more experience in the system - those FGs vs Clemson will become TDs. Clemson won't see an offense a studly as OSU's all year.

There are some things that need to be improved, but to expect perfection after little spring ball they had is unrealistic. If after game 8 we have the same problems then so be it. I'll love my Buckeyes no matter what.

Go root for a two loss defending champion Lsu team that lost what Osu lost in players idiot

What did you think of the 2002 NC team that won 6 games by total of 16 points ur clueless go back to Vip board
  • Buckeyenutjob said... (original post)OSU does not know what it has on defense yet. Nebraska was one dimensional - the secondary was not tested much. We don't know what we have in ...

Some real knowledge spewed here congrats on a real good opinion and post
  • While I cringed watching the game at times yesterday, realize that this is only game one.
    And if there's any potential silver lining in this cloud, realize that both Alabama and Clemson won by similar margins and scoring similarly point wise as the Bucks but against what may arguably be slightly lesser competition.

There are definitely things to clean up but let me ask you this: does this defense look better or worse than the LSU defense from last year that beat Clemson to win the title? Of course probably in the front four and in the back end but where else? Their defense gave up a slew of points at times last season.
    And yes this offense is capable of scoring with any but the running game has to get into a consistent rhythm. I think that's really the issue at this point. Nebraska ran exotic bear blitzes which few teams the Bucks will face this season and beyond will run. Teague is good in short-yardage runs, Sermon looks like he was getting warmed up and adjusting to a new environment. He has the look of an elite back. But Chambers looked the best overall and Xavier Johnson not bad for a walk on. So it's not an issue of talent but when any one of them takes the position by the horn and runs with it.

What is lacking are more blitz packages called for the LBers and DBs. The ability to bring down a QB or RB in the backfield among other things. So while I agree with you that the verdict on the season and year will ultimately come down to how did you fare against Clemson in either a bowl, CFP or title game, right now it's all about how will this team deal with pissed off and angry Penn State team in Happy Valley on Halloween.

• sugarcrystal said... (original post)While I cringed watching the game at times yesterday, realize that this is only game one. And if there's any potential silver lining in th...

I actually think PSU will be deflated next week. Tough to get that much adrenaline going in a game and come out the next week at the same emotional level.

Now if their stadium was packed, that'd be different. But in front of no one I expect them to be flat. They have to know on some level as well that with only 8 games, their championship hopes just became very slim. So lots of factors causing flatness in my opinion.

• Ya’ll are nuts lmao. If the Buckeyes started the same time as everyone else this easily would’ve been the most impressive result among Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame as far as first games go.

• A good post sir, but in fairness, putrid Syracuse was down 6 at Clemson in the waning moments of the 3rd quarter before the wheels fell off, so the Tigers have their own issues to work out.

All in all, I am satisfied with a 5 TD win against a decent (kind of) Nebraska program. When was the last time OSU looked great in their opener when the team actually had a pulse? In 2015, OSU trailed at Virginia Tech at halftime ... they also struggled early a few years later when they opened at Indiana.

This post was edited by BigAppleBuckeye 2 months ago

• Systems_id said... (original post)Ya’ll are nuts lmao. If the Buckeyes started the same time as everyone else this easily would’ve been the most impressive result among Georgia, A...

I think that's true if you're looking at the score alone, but consider that Nebraska was one-dimensionalized midway through the game by OSU's offensive ability and scoring. Clemson would match that scoring and continue to be a threat offensively on the ground and through the air, which would spell trouble for the OSU defense that took the field yesterday. Any defense can perform better when its own offense one-dimensionalizes the other team's offense.

• All this after ONE game.
    Sigh....

• TXBuckeye_Scout said... (original post)All this after ONE game. Sigh....

A lot of it could've actually been said before the game, based on the changes in the roster. The game merely underscored it.

• Buckeyenutjob said... (original post)OSU does not know what it has on defense yet. Nebraska was one dimensional - the secondary was not tested much. We don't know what we hav...

You’re full of self-contradictions. If Nebraska is so one-dimensional and still ran at will then our run D had to be dog $hit. There are no two ways about it. Everybody talks about Chase but it’s the middle of the lune that took a much bigger hit. The DL that bottled up Etienne did so because it had D’Avon Hamilton. He was the run stuffer. We have nobody like that now. I’ve been hearing for a zillion years how physically strong Tommy Togiai is at practice so it is baffling why he got pushed around on the field. The guys that he goes up against in practice gotta be awfully week because I saw none of the Herculean strength against Nebraska’s OL yesterday. At this point, we have nothing at DT outside of a gunshot Heskill Garret which is beyond alarming.

• Summit Street said... (original post)I think that's true if you're looking at the score alone, but consider that Nebraska was one-dimensionalized midway through the game ...

I mean Clemson still gotta score and quite frankly I think Fields would carve their secondary up. My point is it’s game 1 and the Buckeyes easily looked the part of a Top 3 team despite the rust. All of those teams I mentioned except mayyyyybe Clemson because they rested their starters pretty either looked the same or worse than we did during their first games. Georgia and ND for sure looked way worse.

This thread is a hilarious overreaction for game 1 playing a P5 as a first game given the circumstances. If we look like this say week 4...I still wouldn’t worry because everyone else around the country doesn’t look much better.

• Why would anyone worry about 2020 after a huge win? I guess a hard to please perfectionist might.

While the DBs weren't tested much, they sure looked good yesterday. The weakness is the middle of the defensive line, which played much better in the second half. I'm optimistic and believe they will be a good unit. Garrett is that guy we expected Tommy to be.

As far as the running backs, Sermon is still #1 and should be. He is fast, and showed it--he just played a little tentative. He is about to go off.

And Penn State controls its own playoff destiny. They are at home after an embarrassing loss, and they have everything to play for. They will come with everything they've got. I think we win 38-27.

• JamesWright said... (original post)Why would anyone worry about 2020 after a huge win? I guess a hard to please perfectionist might. While the DBs weren't tested much, they s...

The only way the original post doesn't make sense to you is if 1) you believe the team that played yesterday can beat Clemson, 2) there was something you saw yesterday that allows you to predict the future and know the team will get better enough to beat Clemson, or 3) beating Clemson isn't important to you.

• Personally I prefer to take it one game at a time and I hope the team is too. Looking past the rest of the regular season games towards a Clemson rematch is a mistake.

This post was edited by bfbuckeye 2 months ago

• Summit Street said... (original post)The only way the original post doesn't make sense to you is if 1) you believe the team that played yesterday can beat Clemson, 2) there w...

The only way your original post makes sense is if you think the team that played yeasterday has to face Clemson next week.

Hint: They don’t

• 1. Yes, I saw a team that can beat Clemson. I live in ACC country and have watched all of the top ACC teams. Clemson is the best of them, but not perfect. They will develop as the season goes on and so will we.
    2. I saw adjustments made that allowed us to hold NE to a field goal in the second half while we topped 50 in our opening game. Remember what I predicted: 10-0 NE to start and we would go on to win 55-13. The game went almost exactly as I predicted. I predict that we will get better week by week until we are good enough to beat any team out there.
    3. I would rather lose to the weasels 5 times in a row than lose another game to Clemson.