It's Time to Question 2020

It's Time to Question 2020

Arrow4
  • PDHeaton said... (original post) Offense scored 7 points in the second half yesterday. I agree with keener about the Tresselball mode, which is an NFL mentality - get up by 7 and ...

IU was essentially giving OSU the run game yesterday by playing with light boxes, but you see what happens when you shift your offense away from the passing game and toward the run, even when the run is successful -- not much scoring. Such is the nature of the run versus the pass. Teams would be smart to entice Day into running like that because it'll diminish OSU's scoring, as it did in the second half yesterday.

• PDHeaton said... (original post) Offense scored 7 points in the second half yesterday. I agree with keener about the Tresselball mode, which is an NFL mentality - get up by 7 and ...

Good post About Fields. Fields seems to need time to throw, as if he can't make a quick read and throw for some reason. It doesn't seem like he has any awareness of a blitz when it comes. Maybe he's too focused on his primary receiver? Maybe he doesn't see the field, specifically blitzes, as well as he should. He seems oblivious to a 6 or 7 man rush. Do we not have hot reads? I don't think he throws the ball away when pressured because he doesn't have the vision or 6th sense to know it's there. He doesn't seem to feel the pressure until it's too late.

• Summit Street said... (original post)Huge statistic here:This year OSU has surrendered an opposing passer rating of 145.7, about 30th-worst in the country.Last year that figure wa...

And you had two first round dbs and a second round db got to the nfl you guys crack me up lmao
  • I am ok with everything else that happened in the game yesterday. Give Indiana credit cuz they came to play and capitalized on our weakness. This is a shortened season so the coaches are still learning what the crew can or cannot do.

But the one play call I can’t get over was the one to throw on 4th down when all they needed was half a yard. Reminded me of when Pete Caroll gave away the super bowl a few years ago on a similar bone headed call. If you can’t lean on your OL for half a yard then that OL needs to be replaced.

• HiFiver25 said... (original post)I am ok with everything else that happened in the game yesterday. Give Indiana credit cuz they came to play and capitalized on our weakness. This ...

QB sneak! No need to get trixsy like that.

• HiFiver25 said... (original post)I am ok with everything else that happened in the game yesterday. Give Indiana credit cuz they came to play and capitalized on our weakness. This ...

Reciver was wide open Fields over threw him,but yes qb sneak or give it to Teauge can't get a half yard playing smash mouth football u can't win. NC

Good post. Your analogy regarding Pete C is a good one. And that was a second down play I think. At least Fields overthrow didn't cost us the game. I think that's his first miss all year on a little bunny pass. (Yes he got pressured but still we are talking about a wide open TE and a short pass).

• https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/30368583/ohio-state-vulnerability-oklahoma-return-more-college-football-takeaways-week-12

What on earth is wrong with Ohio State's pass defense?

On Friday, I wrote about title contenders and the questions they still need to address to reach the promised land. I could come up with only one "if" for Ohio State, but it turned out to be pretty pertinent:

The Buckeyes are 91st in passing success rate allowed and are struggling to force obvious pass situations. Despite having a pair of dynamite corners in Shaun Wade and Sevyn Banks, new defensive coordinator Kerry Coombs has chosen to mostly play a pretty passive zone coverage. ... Is this the week Coombs gets more aggressive? Or is this going to be an actual problem the rest of the season?

We don't have full Saturday charting data yet, so I can't say with certainty how much zone or man coverage Ohio State played beyond the norm. But whatever the Buckeyes tried in Saturday's 42-35 win over Indiana, it didn't work.

Indiana quarterback Michael Penix Jr. went 27-for-51 for 491 yards, five touchdowns and one interception -- a Shaun Wade pick-six that turned out to be vital. Penix completed 10 passes of 15+ yards, and to my eye three of them came against zone coverage, while seven others seemed to simply be Indiana WR A (usually Ty Fryfogle) beating Ohio State DB B in man-to-man.

This was a disaster for what was supposed to be a tremendous Ohio State secondary. And almost as damning, considering the historic strengths of the Ohio State defense, was the fact that the Buckeyes sacked Penix only twice in 53 attempts. They completely rendered the Hoosiers one-dimensional -- IU backs rushed 11 times for just 18 yards -- and still couldn't generate pressure or slow IU's receivers down.

Credit where it's due: Penix, Fryfogle and company have flashed massive potential on and off for a couple of seasons, and they were ridiculously good in Columbus. The Hoosiers' defense, meanwhile, forced more mistakes from quarterback Justin Fields than we typically see in a month. The Buckeyes were brilliant in building a 35-7 lead despite solid Indiana play, but they thought the fight was over and Indiana most certainly did not.

Still, this was a continuation of a known issue. Despite the presence of Wade (one of the top cornerback prospects in next year's NFL draft), plus Sevyn Banks and lots of other star recruits, Ohio State had been passive against the pass, and when the Buckeyes tried to get more aggressive on Saturday, it nearly blew up in their faces.

As good as Penix can be at times, he is not, from a consistency standpoint, Mac Jones, Trevor Lawrence, Ian Book or any of the other quarterbacks this defense might face in the College Football Playoff. The Buckeyes have an offense good enough to win any game by itself and a defense that has had little to no trouble stopping the run. But they can't get enough pressure on opposing QBs, and their DBs aren't covering as well as we expected them to this year. If the Buckeyes don't round into form in this regard, their odds of winning two College Football Playoff games are not great.

The good news, as it were: OSU's last three regular-season games are against Illinois, Michigan State and Michigan, and they'll probably face an offensively improved, but still limited, Northwestern in the Big Ten Championship. There will be plenty of opportunities for the secondary to build confidence, at least if the pass rush does its job a little bit better, too.

This post was edited by Summit Street 1 month ago

• Unfortunately it's probably about time to pack this season up in terms of National Championship hopes. This team needed a full slate of games to improve on its critical weaknesses. Eight or nine games was pushing it. Now we're down to just six or seven.

• Update on this, since it concerns the CFP.

If this team can get a dominant performance like today from the run game and pair it with its typical firepower in the passing game, they have a far better shot obviously of hanging with Alabama or Clemson in the playoff.

The run game would essentially eat clock and diminish the opposing team's number of possessions, thus making the limited defense's job easier.

I think they need to gameplan in that direction between now and the playoff, because the defense hasn't gotten significantly better during the season and won't be able to contend with the big two teams.

• Summit Street said... (original post)Update on this, since it concerns the CFP.If this team can get a dominant performance like today from the run game and pair it with its typica...

user generated

• Summit Street said... (original post)Update on this, since it concerns the CFP.If this team can get a dominant performance like today from the run game and pair it with its typica...

And down 20 players 4 on defense and ur star wide receiver and still win 6 straight bigtens,gtfo...