Kerry Coombs to replace Hafley?

Kerry Coombs to replace Hafley?

• This would be just an INCREDIBLE hire. First, Coombs is a former OSU secondary coach. Secondly, like Hafley, he will be coming from the NFL. Also, Coombs was a great high school coach.

I was living in Cincinnati when he put Colreain on the map. They were just a run-of-the-mill program until Coombs took over. He built that team into a powerhouse. Then he came to OSU and was a god recruiter. Then on to UC then the NFL. I think OSU had some good defensive backfield units when he was coaching and his stint of going to the pros will help recruiting even more. Finally, he could be there for the long-term. He's an Ohio guy and would probably stay there as long as Day's there.

I think this would be a nice replacement for Hafley. I was sorry to see Coombs go in the first place. Having him back would be great for the program, imo.

• Discussion
  • I would be VERY OK with this! Besides Herbstreit mentioning the possibility of this reunion, is there any more concrete info out there?

• BigAppleBuckeye said... (original post) I would be VERY OK with this! Besides Herbstreit mentioning the possibility of this reunion, is there any more concrete info out there?

The Titans website has this. Buckeyes Wire also has this....which appears to come from the same source. Here's the main story. They may not be able to make anything official until the Titans' season is over but I wouldn't be surprised if he's the man. The second story goes into more depth about how he impacted the program while he was at OSU. His Cincinnati connections should help solidify OSUs recruiting in the talent-rich Cincinnati area....an area they did pretty darn well in this year.

• jaxfloridabuck said... (original post) The Titans website has this. Buckeyes Wire also has this....which appears to come from the same source. Here's the main story. They may ...

Thanks for sharing! Would be a great recovery for sure ... fingers crossed!

• I like Coombs. The concerns I have are his philosophy is different from Hafley and he's never called a defense.

• I don't believe Hafley ever called a defense until this year FWIW.

I wonder what Coombs ultimate goal is. He may have an outside shot to still be a college HC (but he priobably could do that now at a lower program). OSU would help that for sure.

• I have no concerns about Coombs. Good coach, and yes, this could make him a HC candidate real quick. Good move for both parties.

• What about Johnathan Gannon from the colts?

• Best thing I remember about coach Coombs was that epic recruiting pitch he gave to Zeke Elliott and a few other recruits. Got recorded and put on YouTube. Haven't played football in 30 years but I was about ready to go run thru a god damn wall for that guy.

• bfbuckeye said... (original post) Best thing I remember about coach Coombs was that epic recruiting pitch he gave to Zeke Elliott and a few other recruits. Got recorded and put on ...

That was Awesome from Combs. I was ready to run through a wall in my house but realized I’m getting old. Lol

I was bummed when he left.

• TheUtahBuckeye said... (original post) I like Coombs. The concerns I have are his philosophy is different from Hafley and he's never called a defense.

Will he be calling the defense or will Washington or Mattison do that?
  • With the Titans in the playoffs, if there is any legs to the Coombs to OSU, we will need to wait another week.

If Day doesn’t name someone this next week, it could be an indication that there are some legs to this. With the NFL guys, one has to wait until their teams are done with the season.

This post was edited by DaytonBuckeye 1 month ago

• Yeller Coombs...I'm 100% in, best move EVER.

• Coombs seems like he would be a good hire. Results at OSU were great (all his starters went on the NFL) and his results in the NFL have been good:

“The 2018 Titans ranked sixth in the NFL in passing defense (216.9 yards per game), ranked eighth in the league with an opponent passer rating of 88.4, and finished ninth in the league with a 63.2 opponent completion percentage. Titans defensive backs accounted for 10 total interceptions and an NFL-high nine sacks.”

https://www.titansonline.com/team/coaches-roster/kerry-coombs

• Best thing if we do get Coombs is that at least he will be here for awhile. Don't see him leaving for the NFL again, and surely will not bolt for another CF team.

• So why would Combs return? He left us to go pro. Has he said something? Maybe the promise of co-DC? Why return to OSU?

• Jimmy77 said... (original post) So why would Combs return? He left us to go pro. Has he said something? Maybe the promise of co-DC? Why return to OSU?

Because there's nothing better than college football, and OSU is like home.

• Hafley was at $950k so I would imagine that would be a pay bump for him. He made $500k his last year at OSU so I am guessing he is around $600-800k at the Titans. And he would be given the Pass Defense Coordinator title, something he never was his in his first stint. Day might tempt him with the long term option of stepping into Mattisons role whenever Mattison retires.

• Jimmy77 said... (original post) So why would Combs return? He left us to go pro. Has he said something? Maybe the promise of co-DC? Why return to OSU?

Couple of grandkids in Cincy.

• think the biggest thing is , does he want to get back into basically year round recuiting, or having time off in off season in pros.i hope he comes back (home), also truly believe coach has a great eye for for talent to get best out there, will be interesting .

• Coombs will be our next co DC/ DB coach in my opinion. Just waiting for the Titans season to end. It should end tomorrow night with an announcement on Sunday or Monday.

• FWIW , Kerry Coombs Salary with the Titians is between $250,000 and $350,000 before everyone gets to excited his Net Worth is 5 Million , So he has one heck of a Financial Consultant. If he returns to OSU its because he misses the College game and Ohio not necessarily for the $$$$$

• Also, he could want to become a head coach someday. This would put him on a fast track, considering his two stints here and his NFL experience. He is exactly what we need to keep Martinez and to bounce back from losing 4 starters in the backfield, assuming that Wade does bolt. I am not convinced he will but okay, he will.

• Super hire.

• JamesWright said... (original post) Also, he could want to become a head coach someday. This would put him on a fast track, considering his two stints here and his NFL experience. ...

Maybe Wade is coming back. That would be HUGE! JK, Okudah, and Chase all announced on Twitter. Wade is having a family and friends ceremony in Jacksonville with LR and 11w covering it. Why do that just to announce you're coming back? On the other hand, he's not announcing on Twitter and may want to make a statement that he's coming back. Maybe Coombs already recruited him again to stay. Coombs was his first coach. But then again, school starts on Monday and he's in Jacksonville on Saturday. It could go either way.
  • Getting Coombs would be a home run hire.

He's a recruiting animal, whose pitch to recruits now includes NFL experience along with his incredible record of developing a long list of 1st round NFL draft picks.

With CB recruiting stumbles in 2018 & 19, we nee him on the '21 trail more than ever.

If anyone can bring in elite talent, its him.