Let's slow down on the 3 stars committing...

Let's slow down on the 3 stars committing...

• This staff has an eye for talent "see Chris Olave", but you cannot hit a homerun with too many 3 stars. Coaching aside, that was the difference between Urban and Tressel. Ryan Day is falling somewhere in between on the superstar recruiting trail. Getting great players, but we have to strike while the iron is hot. The top spot for the next 5 years is up for grabs and we gotta load up with bigtime talent everywhere.

• Discussion
  • I agree in part to what you're saying. There is a difference to what Meyer brought in in the 2017 and 2018 classes compared to what Day has got in the 2019 and 2020 classes. However, being a first year head coach with hardly any name recognition, he's doing really damn good. Far better than any of our regular season opponents.

Looking to the 2021 class, it looks to be on par with what Meyer brought in for the 2017 and 2018 classes. If Day can hit on the guys who already have Ohio State high on their list, it will be either the #1 or #2 class in the nation.

• 2014 brought in the latter Meyer classes. We see the same thing with Bama and Clem. A NC gets their attention and draws them in. Recruits can see we're on the cusp and that a lot of players are going to the NFL.

• BuckTattoo said... (original post)2014 brought in the latter Meyer classes. We see the same thing with Bama and Clem. A NC gets their attention and draws them in. Recruits can see ...

This. Not sure why people don't do two minutes of research before posting their dumbass opinions. Urban recruited those absurd classes like five years after he got here. Day's going to be fine if 2021 is anything to go by.

• Systems_id said... (original post)This. Not sure why people don't do two minutes of research before posting their dumbass opinions. Urban recruited those absurd classes like ...

What I love about Ryan Day is what appears to be a more cohesive team and truly gritty and tough team. Over the next 2 to 3 years it will be interesting to see how the UFM talent trickles through and if Ryan can continue to bring in the best talent as 2021 seems to be shaping up and keep them nasty. Couple this nasty, great talent with heart and cohesiveness it could be a very formidable team

• I agree that Day better be careful with all these 3 star commits. He's taking too many. Leroux, Melton, James, Hamilton, Miyan Williams, Toutant, Roger and Fryar. That's 4 OL 3 stars for 2020. He already has two 3 stars in 2021 in Hart and Johnson. Again, most of these 3 stars are OL and TE. They seem like reaches and projects. Miyan Williams never should have gotten an offer. That's just failure at RB recruiting. Hamilton is worthy of the offer. I think Fryar is too but all the others are stretches and Day better be careful that he isn't on the start of lessening our talent and weakening our roster.

Regarding roster management, I'd like to see Day free up some spots and trim the fat and get rid of McCall, Williamson, Wint, and Gardiner. Those four need to move on and look for other opportunities.

• TheUtahBuckeye said... (original post)I agree that Day better be careful with all these 3 star commits. He's taking too many. Leroux, Melton, James, Hamilton, Miyan Williams, ...

2021 so far has 1 5*, 5 4*s, and 2 3*s.

A 4* OL looks to be committing to Ohio State today.

• OSUfromcal said... (original post)2021 so far has 1 5*, 5 4*s, and 2 3*s.A 4* OL looks to be committing to Ohio State today.

Yes I know. 2021 is off to a good start. The discussion is surrounding 3 stars and who's deserving and who's not and how many is too many. Johnson for 2021 is ok with me. I listed my concerns and who isn't good enough to play here. I'm confident with my evaluations.
  • It's not like he is settling. This is a 2021 kid. Day is picking the kids he wants. What do you want to bet this kid rises in the rankings now that he is on the radar?

• TheUtahBuckeye said... (original post)Yes I know. 2021 is off to a good start. The discussion is surrounding 3 stars and who's deserving and who's not and how many is to...

I'm sure you were vehemently against Darron Lee, Jeff Heuerman, Michael Thomas, Cardale Jones, Jacoby Boren, Pat Elflein, Robert Landers, Branden Bowen, Damon Arnette, Rashod Berry, Davon Hamilton, Malik Harrison.

The 2020 class is a really good class. In terms of star rating, better than the 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2019 class. Don't get spoiled with what we recruited in 2017 and 2018. We'll get there again in 2021. 2021 will be epic.

• Devin Smith, Cardale Jones, Michael Thomas, Pat Elflein, Darron Lee, Malik Hooker, Damon Arnette, Branden Bowen, Davon Hamilton and Malik Harrison were all three star players. Lets give these guys a chance and see what they can do

This post was edited by Magicbuck 1 month ago

• TheUtahBuckeye said... (original post)Yes I know. 2021 is off to a good start. The discussion is surrounding 3 stars and who's deserving and who's not and how many is to...

Confident in your evaluations. I’m sure Day appreciates your input.

• I don't put to much stock in the star system for OL overall, It is the hardest position to grade mainly because these recruiting service guys lack in knowledge and understanding of Offensive line play and i would bet its the one position they put the least amount of time into evaluating because frankly its boring to sit there and watch OL play film after film and they don't know what they are looking at half the time anyway.
    The position right now i'm worried about the most is LB'er thats where Day needs to hit homers at.
    QB, Wr, DB , DL we are Nationally known for we will get the kids we need there. OL has a very good track record also.
    Since Luke left not only has the recruiting dropped so has the Coaching at that position.
    Luke had a eye for that 3* talent going back to AJ Hawk and most recently Lee and Harrison who has been our best LB'er 2 years running.

• OSUfromcal said... (original post)2021 so far has 1 5*, 5 4*s, and 2 3*s.A 4* OL looks to be committing to Ohio State today.

Donovan Jackson BUCKEYE!

• OSUfromcal said... (original post)Donovan Jackson BUCKEYE!

#1 Guard in the 2021 class!

• 2021 class will be judged based on OL, CB, RB, and DT. Gotta hit big with those positions. So far, OL is going well.

• TheUtahBuckeye said... (original post)...Miyan Williams never should have gotten an offer. That's just failure at RB recruiting. ...

I thought the same until I saw his film. I know you're usually right on these evals, but I like Williams. Time will tell.

• Anyone who doesn't like Miyan Williams should be on ignore. Oh wait, he is. Why did you quote him?

• TheUtahBuckeye said... (original post)I agree that Day better be careful with all these 3 star commits. He's taking too many. Leroux, Melton, James, Hamilton, Miyan Williams, ...

Mitchell Melton will be the next Malik Harrison.

• Jimmy77 said... (original post)I thought the same until I saw his film. I know you're usually right on these evals, but I like Williams. Time will tell.

I hope I'm wrong on this one but I doubt it.
  • JamesWright said... (original post)Anyone who doesn't like Miyan Williams should be on ignore. Oh wait, he is. Why did you quote him?

Anyone who is a fan of another team/school should be on ignore. Oh wait, you are. UNC sucks too. You're a wannabe but you'll never be a Buckeye. Go back to the unc board you fake professor.

This post was edited by TheUtahBuckeye 1 month ago

• It’s hard with OL as most don’t have good technique and footwork. They are used to just using pure size in high school to manhandle the smaller DL guys. Watch their videos. Most don’t have college bodies regardless of HS height and weight stats. Micky does that when they get on campus. There are generally only 2-3 per class who can start as freshman for a major program. Most need a year to get their bodies right, And learn proper techniques.

It’s why a rating for OL is not worth as much as say a RB or WR.

This post was edited by AZBucknut8 1 month ago

• UFM was such a force of nature when it came to convincing 17 year olds to come to school here I just assumed there was going to be a bit of a dropoff with coach Day. Despite a few 3*s (coaches judge talent, they couldn't care less about stars BTW) I have been pleasantly surprised by his recruiting. I am fine with everyone he has signed.

• AZBucknut8 said... (original post)It’s why a rating for OL is not worth as much as say a RB or WR.

This is true statistically. I did a study once correlating recruiting rankings to NFL draft status. OL had the weakest link of any position group. I didn't look at kickers.

• JamesWright said... (original post)This is true statistically. I did a study once correlating recruiting rankings to NFL draft status. OL had the weakest link of any position grou...

I would like to see that study if you have it documented.

• Since we're talking about recruiting and there's no 2021 recruiting thread, can this be it?

I'd like to see the staff get Corey Kiner out of Cincy. A solid 4-star RB from the home state is always a win.