LSU playing at the Superdome for natty's

LSU playing at the Superdome for natty's

Arrow4
  • Saw this fact last night on ESPN and thought what if Ohio State played their 2003, 2006, 2007, and 2014 national championship games in Cleveland or Cincy??

LSU in fact did play at the superdome in New Orleans for the 2004, 2007 (against Ohio State), 2011, and now the 2020 national championship. Four championships all in their backyard.

I think the NCAA should at least make some sort of effort to ensure this doesn't happen but maybe that's just the life of northern teams having to be at a disadvantage

• Discussion
  • How many times did Miami play for a Natty in the 80s and 90s not just in their home state, or in a nearby city but actually on their home field in The Orange Bowl.

How many times has USC or UCLA played in the Rose Bowl game in their own city and in UCLAs case their home field?

How many times has Texas or Texas A&M played in the Cotton Bowl game?

This post was edited by buck1977 1 month ago

• Not sure how the hell there isn't a Bowl game at Lucas Oil.

• 100% agree with you man ... but the problem is that nowhere in the Midwest outside of Chicago is really a vacation "destination" for a big bowl, and few would come here in the winter anyway. The cards are set up poorly for Northern schools to succeed in the postseason, which makes it all that much more impressive when OSU (and really only OSU) wins a title.

I am more pissed about SEC refs officiating the Clemson-OSU game. WHY are refs from a conference being represented in the Playoffs having such a huge say in the outcome of said playoffs?? Can you imagine if a few years ago, a blown call by a Big 10 ref cost Bama a playoff game vs. Washington, allowing the less-talented Huskies the opportunity to play Ohio State in a title game? The South would explode!

Yet here we are. Sigh.

• BigAppleBuckeye said... (original post)100% agree with you man ... but the problem is that nowhere in the Midwest outside of Chicago is really a vacation "destination" f...

Indianapolis hosts the national championship game in 2021.

• bootzilla31 said... (original post)Indianapolis hosts the national championship game in 2021.

Wow really? I completely stand corrected, I had no idea. That is great news! I am curious how the stands will look if Ohio State (or Notre Dame or Michigan, I suppose) don't make the title game ... remember last year in Santa Clara? Bama/Clemson, a marquee matchup, had thousands of empty seats.

• BigAppleBuckeye said... (original post)Wow really? I completely stand corrected, I had no idea. That is great news! I am curious how the stands will look if Ohio State (or Notre D...

I'm from Indy and it's a very good sports town and our downtown is incredible for sporting events like The Final Four/NCAA tourney non-Final Four games, the lone time we hosted the Super Bowl in 2012, and other big events. We'll show up. Santa Clara is not a sports town. It's in Cali which is already a red flag for sports and it's the Pac-12.

• bootzilla31 said... (original post)I'm from Indy and it's a very good sports town and our downtown is incredible for sporting events like The Final Four/NCAA tourney non...

I have only been to Indy once, but I had a blast ... I went to the 1999 NCAA Tournament (where OSU started their Final 4 run), and the downtown area had a lot to do, great memories!

• BigAppleBuckeye said... (original post)I have only been to Indy once, but I had a blast ... I went to the 1999 NCAA Tournament (where OSU started their Final 4 run), and the downt...

It's gotten better since the last time you were here.

• The fact that all of thre major bowl games and home and home inter conference regular season games are played in the south or in September directly reflects on the B1G commissioners.
    The Gator. Sugar, Orange, citrus, Cotton bowls are all home games for the SEC.
    The midwest and northeast needs a major bowl game. And by major, I mean Playoff or New year's 6 and no "Tidy Bowl" game Bull$#!+....

This post was edited by BuckeyesEC 1 month ago

• BigAppleBuckeye said... (original post)100% agree with you man ... but the problem is that nowhere in the Midwest outside of Chicago is really a vacation "destination" f...

Teriffic synopsis

• The weather and "vacation destinations" should not be a factor. We have fans clamoring for an expanded playoff in a quest to crown the "true champion" and yet many still think that the weather should dictate where the games are played. That argument is played out and lame. The same teams shouldn't have home field advantage every year in the playoffs.

• BigAppleBuckeye said... (original post)Wow really? I completely stand corrected, I had no idea. That is great news! I am curious how the stands will look if Ohio State (or Notre D...

Michigan play for a NC bahahahahhah rephrase that maybe they could just win their division first roflmao
  • BuckeyesEC said... (original post) The fact that all of thre major bowl games and home and home inter conference regular season games are played in the south or in September direc...

All the bowl games are created in their original form by local Chambers of Commerce or community organizations to create tourism. There used to be the Cherry Bowl in Detroit but who wants to go to Detroit.

If Indy wants a bowl game all they need to do is have the Chamber of Commerce to front the money for one and then sign conference tie-in aggremments. Then get a TV contract. Host a good experience them it will build every year. The Rose Bowl is over 100 years old the Sugar, Orange, Cotton, Peach and Fiesta are all older than 60 years in existence.

It would take time. At one point in the early 1990s the Fiesta Bowl almost shut down due to lack of attendance. But, they reorganized and are doing well. It's a popularity contest. You just have to decide if you want to compete.
  • Systems_id said... (original post)Not sure how the hell there isn't a Bowl game at Lucas Oil.

Yep.

What we really need to have happen is an 8-team playoff where the first 2 rounds are played at the higher seeds's home stadium and then the national championship is rotated to stadiums all around the country, not just in the south and west.

• Razorback said... (original post)Yep. What we really need to have happen is an 8-team playoff where the first 2 rounds are played at the higher seeds's home stadium and then ...

IMO the 2019 CFP validated the 4 teams playoff system especially since #4 Oklahoma was absolutely destroyed..

• gessig said... (original post)IMO the 2019 CFP validated the 4 teams playoff system especially since #4 Oklahoma was absolutely destroyed.

yep... and almost always the top two or three teams separate themselves - 4 is plenty.

as much as people deride it, the BCS did a pretty good job matching up the top two teams, which was it's only real mandate.

• I know nobody likes to play the games in cold weather but there is so many neat places to play the championship game and they could give alot of cities alot of money if they changed every year where they play the game. Indoors or outdoors would be a great change.

• BuckeyeJazz said... (original post)The weather and "vacation destinations" should not be a factor. We have fans clamoring for an expanded playoff in a quest to crown the ...

Yea! Money shouldn't have anything to do with it.............and then there's reality.

• Razorback said... (original post)Yep. What we really need to have happen is an 8-team playoff where the first 2 rounds are played at the higher seeds's home stadium and then ...

Seems reasonable to me, Razor. Hopefully, it will eventually happen.

• College football isn't fair and they make no bones about it

• It's not personal, it's business!

Hear, hear! The NCAA needs to make it whereas no conference with teams participating in the final four can have an officiating crew involved in any of the CFP games.

• Exactly. It's why I've never been keen on playing them in their home-away-from home dome. We experienced that firsthand in 2007.
    I wrote a post right after that game entitled "Voodooed" because it was clear something wasn't right with the Bucks that night. They had solid start all the way up until the early part of the 2nd quarter going up 10-0 and then it all fell apart. They'd go another quarter and a half without scoring again. Then add to that the 85 yards in penalties they racked up which up to that point was highly uncharacteristic of a Tressel-coached team.

Their "voodoo" or "magic" didn't work for them in 2011 in their rematch against Alabama but every other time it has and ironically LSU is usually in title contention whenever any national title game is hosted in the Superdome. In other words if the host site is Miami, Pasadena or Arlington, LSU will be so so but if it's set in New Orleans that next year, trust that LSU will be a serious contender.

But also remember that LSU isn't the only program that had a built-in home-field advantage in a de facto national title game. Miami for years had this. How many times have the Canes had the luxury of playing the likes of Nebraska or some other program in the confines of the Orange Bowl there in Miami. It could be the same for Arizona State or Arizona if either ever became a Pac-12 power again and the host site for the CFP national title game was in Glendale.

UGA had it set up perfectly for them when the title game was being hosted at the new Georgia Dome when they took on Alabama. But it didn't work.

To be honest, I don't know if we stood a chance---as solid of a team as the Bucks were this past season of taking it from LSU in the Superdome even this time around. Fate just seemed to be on their side this time more than at any time prior. But yes it'd be nice if we truly had neutral bowl sites---esp when it comes to the CFP.

I hated that also. There should've been Pac-12 or Big 12 refs for that game and not ones from the SEC even if the two opponents weren't from the SEC.

Damn right they would.