Never count out The Illini in Champaign vs the Bucks in Nov

Never count out The Illini in Champaign vs the Bucks in Nov

• It doesn't matter whether they're contending for a B1G title and a trip to the Rose Bowl or, a team with only two wins on the season because whenever the Bucks go up to Champaign, they're almost always in a contested battle. This is most especially true in years where the Bucks are in contention for a national title.

We of course remember how much of a nail biter the OT game in Champagne was back in 2002. It was enough having to be on the road for a second straight week against a pesky opponent with nothing to play for other than to try and ruin our perfect season. Holy Buckeye against Purdue and then what would be the encore in Champagne. And all that before a showdown in the Shoe against TTUN for a trip to Tempe. Boy was that a lot to have to deal with for a coach who played it safe more often than not.

After the 2002 scare we had an almost scare which seldom gets discussed in the anals of the Buckeye vs Illini matchups in 2006. After going up 17-0 before halftime, the Bucks appeared to have the game in hand. Maybe in the second half they'd pour it on a bit more. But it didn't happen. The Illini scored 10 unanswered points and were within an onside kick of being back in the game late. Troy Smith was hit and sacked more in that game than any game prior. It should've been a foreshadowing of what was potentially to come in the BCS Title Game vs Florida--esp considering Ron Zook had coached and recruited a majority of those Florida players that the Buckeyes faced off against just two months later. Bear in mind the Illini was a 2-win team at the time and had no business putting up that level of fight against the Bucks. And what made it worse was when the Illini crowd chanted, "Overrated! Overratted!" after the Bucks went scoreless in the second half and escaped with a 17-10 win. Buckeye players and fans would hear that chant again coming from a crowd less than two years later in the Coliseum against U$C.

The next time would be in 2013 when Nathan Schelhasse unleashed on the Buckeye Secondary until guys in the front seven stepped up. Such as when Shazier scored on a Safety play and the team celebrated like they just won the B1G championship. Following that play some of the Illini coaches got into a bit of a scuffle on the sidelines but I digress. Needless to say it was too much of a shootout until the Bucks finally took control and finished with a 60-35 win.

We also know about 2007 but that was a Homecoming game where the Illini for the first time in these games, had something they were playing for as well. In the end, when the Bucks have something on the line to play for and the Illini doesn't, that is when they appear to be most dangerous---esp when the games are in the month of November in Champaign. So be mindful of this even though the Bucks are once again heavy favorites. But the Illini are on a two-win streak including going to Lincoln and soundly beating the Huskers. I don't have faith that Coombs and company fixed the Secondary and so because of that, I'm expecting lots of passes over the top and lots of Buckeye DBs giving chase to their receivers and playmakers throughout the game tomorrow.

• Discussion
  • Moot... game cancelled.

• This sucks. When will we play again? Hopefully we can play the rivalry game.

• TheUtahBuckeye said... (original post)This sucks. When will we play again? Hopefully we can play the rivalry game.

I'd just shut down the whole season Warren and the big screwed it's conference fans and players,if I was Osu I'd be looking to leave conference ,go independent we would make billions ,much more than the Irish and have our own tv station and keep all our cash,be a huge success...
  • Jaymar1 said... (original post)I'd just shut down the whole season Warren and the big screwed it's conference fans and players,if I was Osu I'd be looking to leave conference ,go ...

Now we can agree on something. If Warren is part of the big ten going forward, then we need to leave the conference. I think we should put an ultimatum on the big ten. Either fire Warren or we're leaving.
  • Jaymar1 said... (original post)I'd just shut down the whole season Warren and the big screwed it's conference fans and players,if I was Osu I'd be looking to leave ...

I agree completely!

I've been championing the going Independent route ever since I saw where this was going back during the summer.

I wish we had an AD with some balls who'd champion or threaten TOSU leaving the B1G if Warren isn't fired. Then maybe a few other schools would join us in echoing that sentiment. This bastard has effed up this entire season for these young men. And this doesn't have as much to do with this covid thing as most would like for us to believe. It's how it was mishandled for months.

These bastards had no intent of having a season to begin with and therefore teased us with early, tentative schedules, talks about having upwards of 20,000 or so fans in The Shoe, etc. Shut down all talks about revisiting the issue. Then waits a full month after announcing the season was on, to restart the season. And worst of all, with no margin for error.

• TheUtahBuckeye said... (original post)Now we can agree on something. If Warren is part of the big ten going forward, then we need to leave the conference. I think we should put an ...

BINGO!

• This....

And this doesn't have as much to do with this covid thing as most would like for us to believe. It's how it was mishandled for months.

• DaytonBuckeye said... (original post)This....And this doesn't have as much to do with this covid thing as most would like for us to believe. It's how it was mishandled f...

Yes Dayton my friend, exactly!!!!!