OT Urban Meyer,

OT Urban Meyer,

• So they are in a frenzy on the Texas board,having a pic of Shelly Meyer looking at houses in texas,what's the odds he really takes this job? I'd be kind of pissed and salty if he did,just the way I'd feel,but there board insisting they are in negotiations with Urban? Any thoughts and how would you feel if he takes Texas job? Think our pipeline of players would end there if he did take the job and probably lose some of our Texas recruits we have now...
  • Discussion
  • I will have a problem if he takes any job. I know he was shafted in the end here, but that will twice in a row, that he would leave for, “medical reasons”, to retire, only to return shortly after. His credibility would be shot in my opinion.

• fbllman said... (original post)I will have a problem if he takes any job. I know he was shafted in the end here, but that will twice in a row, that he would leave for, “medical re...

Yea probably was for the best though he still wanted to run the Rpo and the qb 20 times a game ,except for when Haskins was here,think Day brings Osu a Natty in next couple years,yea I'd be salty asf if he goes anywhere when he said he has retired for good after health issues,but bet Shelly and family spend lots of money,and a brinks truck would be waiting for him in Texas..
  • Given all the chit that Herman started here, which was designed to undercut Urban to keep some of the Texas kids at hime, and ultimately led to his retirement, I wouldn't have any issue with Urban (a) taking the Texas job from mensa, or (b) just househunting as the ultimate troll job, distracting Herman while he's clinging to whatever might be left of his job. Dude can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned.

I don't see Urban taking another job. He certainly could consult, but the work it would take to rebuild a program the way he wants to rebuild it isn't something he's in a position to take on. He's too demanding, and he knows it. I bet there are times he tries to convince himself he could, but starting over again without his key core guys would be difficult.

• Jaymar1 said... (original post)Yea probably was for the best though he still wanted to run the Rpo and the qb 20 times a game ,except for when Haskins was here,think Day brings Os...

Meyer had the teams to win 3 NC here and blew two of those opertunitys because he couldn't change his offensive thinking once in a while .
  • I've been calling it since the day he left. This is his MO. Now, do I think he goes to Texas? I don't know. But I bet he coaches somewhere and when he comes back says something like "It's about the players and I just missed it so much and for this job, I just had to say yes."

Why would the cyst, which he has had for 20 years, all of the sudden start impacting him mid game in 2018? If he had the cyst and it bothered him that long, wouldn't it have shown up in other high stress situations in his career? When he stressed himself out so bad that he almost had a heart attack?

The fact that he did it on camera is the part that told me he was doing it for optics so he could "retire" without too many questions.

• Where is this thread with the pic? I don't see it?

• buckboy81 said... (original post)I've been calling it since the day he left. This is his MO. Now, do I think he goes to Texas? I don't know. But I bet he coaches somewhere and whe...

He could have won an oscar for that performance roflmao roflmao
  • buckboy81 said... (original post)Where is this thread with the pic? I don't see it?

On Texas board somewhere think there hiding it now,but showed Shelly looking at a house in texas,a big **** house..
  • Jaymar1 said... (original post)Meyer had the teams to win 3 NC here and blew two of those opertunitys because he couldn't change his offensive thinking once in a while .

Bingo! He lost his fire after he completed The Chase. The Urban of post 2014 was not the same guy.

Frankly I was glad he retired. Something was missing unless it was Michigan. He wasn't able to change philosophy or players when needed. Would he have ever pulled JT and put in a backup( ala Saban) to win a game?

And that cyst has nothing to do with his sudden onset headaches. They can cause chronic symptoms, or acute if they bleed (very rare) but the vast majority are asymptomatic.

• dkeener67 said... (original post)Bingo! He lost his fire after he completed The Chase. The Urban of post 2014 was not the same guy. Frankly I was glad he retired. Something was mi...

To Meyer credit though if Osu and Gene Smith self impose bowl ban when we went and played Florida with a 6 and 5 record Meyer wins NC his first year Osu would have played the Irish instead of Bama they had a loss and bucks would have got into Nc game,,
  • Jaymar1 said... (original post)To Meyer credit though if Osu and Gene Smith self impose bowl ban when we went and played Florida with a 6 and 5 record Meyer wins NC his first year ...

2012 was his best coaching job in my opinion. He willed that team to about 4 victories. That really wasn't a 12-0 team except for Meyer. And you are right - they would have beaten ND and Catfish Teo. It would have been a magical season.

• dkeener67 said... (original post)2012 was his best coaching job in my opinion. He willed that team to about 4 victories. That really wasn't a 12-0 team except for Meyer. And you a...

Yea one of the most exciting Osu seasons ever..jmo
  • I'll take Day until he starts losing to the Purdues and Iowas of the world in consecutive seasons. But I am grateful for what Meyer did here to make it one of the top 3 programs in the country. Who are we to tell Urban Meyer what he can and can't do? He saved OSU from a post-Woody slide with Bruce.

Do you really believe he faked the headaches for tv? Don't you remember Schiano's defense? It was so bad as to give anyone watching a headache and high blood pressure! I think he also wanted to see his kids plays sports. He was too loyal to some players, but I can understand that.

If he does take the job I hope OSU keeps Pantonio (spelling?) and Marotti.

• I appreciate everything Coach Meyer did while coaching us..., even though he is still heavily criticized by many on this board. his 7 year winning percentage as head coach of the Buckeyes has never been equaled... I hope he stays at Ohio State, and .If he leaves for another school, I wish him the best

• OleLardbelly said... (original post)I appreciate everything Coach Meyer did while coaching us..., even though he is still heavily criticized by many on this board. his 7 year winn...

We all appreciate what he did here. But that doesn't make him perfect. That 2015 team was the only team ever to garner every first place vote in the season's initial AP poll. But the coaching was lacking. That's on Urban.

If he goes somewhere else, great! I wish him the best. I think he has peaked as a coach however. Even at Texas I don't think he will have great success unless he recognizes his mistakes from the last few years.

• OleLardbelly said... (original post)I appreciate everything Coach Meyer did while coaching us..., even though he is still heavily criticized by many on this board. his 7 year winn...

Dude he's gone dudes young and still in my mind loves and has a fire that burns for him to coach again, and that brink truck has a ***** ton of money in it,trust me I bet Shelly and his kids have spent a boat load of his cash especially Shelly,women like money more and more money he isn't making 14 millions a year at fox, dudes gonna coach again it's his life..And he wants more Nc ,I think he could win a couple more and get closer to.Saban,Saban about done in the next five years ,Mayer could coach another 15 if he wanted to he's in his mid 50s lol
  • dkeener67 said... (original post)We all appreciate what he did here. But that doesn't make him perfect. That 2015 team was the only team ever to garner every first place vote in t...

Idk the way Urban recruits it could turn Texas into a powerhouse,alot of huge talent in that state...
  • Jaymar1 said... (original post)So they are in a frenzy on the Texas board,having a pic of Shelly Meyer looking at houses in texas,what's the odds he really takes this job? I&...

I’d be surprised if he coaches again. That’s just me.

If he does, so be it.

• He's going to Texas. The cyst was an excuse. Just like his fake heart attack at Florida. He got involved in "stuff" he shouldn't have at Florida and nearly cost him his family. Hence, the family contract he was given by his family in order to coach here. Get ready for urban at Texas. Hopefully we can hold onto the Texas recruits we have.

I do appreciate all the good he did here at TOSU. Got us a natty just like Tress. Your turn Day.

This post was edited by TheUtahBuckeye 1 month ago

• It's interesting that just nine years ago the rumor mill was buzzing about Meyer looking for homes in the Columbus area and of course it all came to fruition on November 28, 2011 when he was announced as the next Buckeye head coach.

That being said, and if by chance he did, he'd be just another ex Buckeye moving to Austin after Tom Herman, Tim Beck and a slew of other former Buckeye assistants. We've been joking in recent years that it's become Buckeye South down there. Or the place where all those who burned out up here, go down there to try and resurrect their fledgling careers and it's mostly been to no avail.

I will say though that the B12 is far less stressful of a conference to coach or play in than either the SEC or B10. Not as competitive when you get past Texas and Oklahoma. Baylor and maybe one other program every other year or so. You can have high flying offenses with no stress or worry about not having a top 10 or 20-ranked defense. But at the same time, I see the Texas job as being comparable on some level to that of the Dallas Cowboys in the NFL: still a recognizable and respected brand but not in a place where you can have sustained success.

• fbllman said... (original post)I will have a problem if he takes any job. I know he was shafted in the end here, but that will twice in a row, that he would leave for, “medical re...

The only difference this time around would be that he waited two years before taking another job where before he did so after just under a year.

• PDHeaton said... (original post)Given all the chit that Herman started here, which was designed to undercut Urban to keep some of the Texas kids at hime, and ultimately led to his ...

I agree.

Too many health scares whenever he's taken a top-tier job in college football over the years. And not only that, even when he dials it down a bit, he still gets too emotionally revved up in motivating his teams, coaching the coaches--just the overall process of rebuilding a football culture wherever he is or goes is a lot of wear and tear. So no if he's smart, he'd do like Gruden and just continue on as a football analyst and likely consultant of some sort. Then when he's truly rested and sees a good opportunity again, then maybe go for it. But really he doesn't have to. Ara Parseghian retired while still in his coaching prime as a head coach. Serving in that capacity for roughly a decade or less. Went on to become a color commentator and lived into about his mid 90s before passing a few years ago. So there are most definitely benefits to being recognized as a HOF coach, a respected one and one of the all-time greats. He accomplished all of that with a coaching career that lasted just over 15 years. How many others can make those claims.

• dkeener67 said... (original post)Bingo! He lost his fire after he completed The Chase. The Urban of post 2014 was not the same guy. Frankly I was glad he retired. Something was mi...

IDK if it was you who I had this discussion with before on this board but I agree with you 1000% on this point of yours because I too have been saying the same about Meyer for quite some time.

The narrative was something like a "Wall Street" sequel script. Meyer was the proverbial Gordon Gekko at Florida---driven and ruthless. Then he had his mea culpa---his wake-up call. He learned that he had to become more compassionate, more of a disciplinarian, revel in every win no matter how big or small. Spend more time with his family, not overwork himself, etc. This was the Meyer we got even though shades of the old Meyer would emerge from time to time. But his decision to sit down with Bill Rabinowitz and write not one but two books about first the 2012 season and then the 2014 season, was a bit too much and over the top. All that should've been saved for now---while he can reflect better and doesn't still have to go out and compete against other coaches. Dabo read his book and became motivated to go out and win the 2016 CFP title as a result. It helped him blank Meyer and his team 31-0. So yes bad move.

Beyond that I could just see and hear the gasp of relief on his face after walking out of Jerry World following win in the 2014 title game vs Oregon. It was as if his job was done. That he could now retire because he avenged the great and mighty Saban. The end. Except it wasn't the end. Saban didn't go away and in fact he bounced back and won the title that next year and won two more titles overall. Both at the expense of the Bucks in that both times the Tide were in the position and place the Bucks should've been in in the CFP.

• Whatever he decides I just want the best for him.

• Jaymar1 said... (original post)To Meyer credit though if Osu and Gene Smith self impose bowl ban when we went and played Florida with a 6 and 5 record Meyer wins NC his first year ...

I have no doubt about it.

And this is just another reminder of two of the most epic eFF ups by Gene Smith. The first being not fighting to get those 12 wins restored including the Sugar Bowl trophy which he just handed over to the NCAA with almost glee. Then of coure miscalculating which season to vacate. Well DUH. The team was already 6-6 before the decision came down and who'd want to uphold those wins? He knew it was likely Meyer would be the next head coach and that this team would in all likelihood not go 6-6 again under his watch even in his first year yet he blew it.

This IMHO is what has really separated Alabama from TOSU over the past five or more years because when they have an opportunity presented to them, they seize upon it. Capitalize on it while TOSU has unfortunately faltered and fumbled in big moments such as this. When the CFP had to decide whether to take Alabama or TOSU for the final selection, they chose Alabama in large part because when they chose the Bucks in 2016 as the first non conference champion, it backfired on them to the tune of 31-0. So they take Bama and what do they do? Go out and win the championship thus vindicating the CFP for their choice.