Secondary in 2020

Secondary in 2020

Arrow4
  • Enough about the secondary already… We know absolutely nothing until they hit the field. Does anybody here remember how bad Ward, Conley, even Lattimore at some points looked in their early days? Give the young pups a chance already… We think we know (at least who we hope we know) who their new coach will be. Certainly, in the current scheme and knowing they are going to go through many different reps and situational film and practice sessions between now and Labor Day, let’s just step away from the ledge. I for one believe that though green, by year end they will be very seasoned and capable

• Discussion
  • I am optimistic. we know Riep can hang with good receivers. He made a few rookie flubs, but otherwise he was solid, and at times better than solid. As long as Procter can continue to develop, I think we will have a great group. Wade was the linchpin. A couple of the young guys will have to step up.

• Agreed! Having that stair step of help and experience returning was pivotal to 2020 and beyond

• With Wade coming back the secondary just got a huge boost.

• Riep, Banks and the rest of the 2nd team DB's all received a lot of quality time this year. Im surprised B. White transferred knowing that he would probably(?) be back on the field in 2020 but who knows what happened behind the scenes this year to see his PT diminish so much when he was one of our better players the 2nd half or 2018. Wade coming back to play outside CB(Im guessing) with Banks and Burroughs, Riep and Proctoc filling out the rest of the secondary isnt that bad. Like a previous poster said, look at some of other 1st round draft picks in the 2 years before they left for the NFL. Most were of the type of "how is this guy allowed on the field" type of players to "With the Xth pick of the first round......." type of player. I think Banks will be the next "star" of our DBfield after Wade leaves but we have a lot of guys who havent seen the field yet due to major talent in front of them. The D might take a slight step back next year but on the whole it looks to be elite in the overall scheme of things.

• Puzzling besides White is the kid who went to Utah.. For as ready as the experts claimed he was to just simply step on the field, I would’ve thought he would’ve relished playing in an environment so known to put talent at the next level

• I thought our returning DBs got quality playing time. I thought they played well, especially the CBs. Patience needed at the safety position, but Proctor has tremendous upside. Don't think the secondary will be a concern 5 games in. ..but they will need time to develop and get used to the speed of the game.

• Yep, and how many opposing teams will really challenge our young CBs and safeties next year? Under Day, it seems like we are playing more consistently up to our potential, which should help protect them as they grow into their roles. OR should be a good early challenge. But when you look at the great offenses, how many are in the B1G or on our schedule?

• JamesWright said... (original post)Yep, and how many opposing teams will really challenge our young CBs and safeties next year? Under Day, it seems like we are playing more consis...

Oregon... game #2

• So you're saying that the 41st best passing offense this year will improve dramatically next year? Okay, I'll buy it.

This year, we only played one B1G team with a better passing offense than that, and we beat them 55-10. We didn't play the other one.

This post was edited by JamesWright 1 month ago

• JamesWright said... (original post)So you're saying that the 41st best passing offense this year will improve dramatically next year? Okay, I'll buy it. This year, we on...

Valid point. I question whether we will be as good by game 2. But... we should win with our offense as long as we can mount a rushing attack

• JamesWright said... (original post)Yep, and how many opposing teams will really challenge our young CBs and safeties next year? Under Day, it seems like we are playing more consis...

Maybe Oregon, but a new, inexperienced qb will be at the helm. But they have fast receivers and play up tempo.

• Buckeyenutjob said... (original post)Maybe Oregon, but a new, inexperienced qb will be at the helm. But they have fast receivers and play up tempo.

They could get the transfer from Wake Forest. I think we all know how dangerous it can be to get a good transfer

• Viking Buckeye said... (original post)They could get the transfer from Wake Forest. I think we all know how dangerous it can be to get a good transfer

True but they will be breaking in a new OL - I think they lose 4 OL. 2019 was their year to get to the playoffs and they choked. Our DL could dominate most of the day and chase him all day.

• I'm not sold on Cam Brown right now so I'm hoping that either Riep or Banks seizes one of the two starting CB positions. If not them then either Williamson or Tyreke Johnson IF he can ever get healthy.

My concern however is with Day living and dying by this one Safety, three CBs scheme. It did have some success this past season but we also saw what can happen if you don't mix things up more there in the Secondary. Allowing Brendan White to bolt to Rutgers was not a wise move in my estimation. We do have depth at CB but not at Safety at this point barring the fact that we see something from Hickman, Cavozos or Hooker.
    Right now the only one we've seen anything from is Proctor and even he is still a work in progress.

• IUZ69 said... (original post)Riep, Banks and the rest of the 2nd team DB's all received a lot of quality time this year. Im surprised B. White transferred knowing that he wou...

I completely agree with you about White. It was disgraceful how underutilized he was this past season. He shouldn't had to have been switched to the Bullet position which by the way was never used in any meaningful way this past season.

White was the defensive MVP not just of the Rose Bowl but of the latter half of the 2018 season. He patched many holes in that unit with his ability to tackle and play in pass coverage. If the Bucks have him available for the Clemson game, we win it period. His presence there would've most definitely shored up some deficiencies with Lawrence and Etienne.

• sugarcrystal said... (original post)...My concern however is with Day living and dying by this one Safety, three CBs scheme. It did have some success this past season but ...

Yea, it did have some success. That's an understatement!

• sugarcrystal said... (original post)I completely agree with you about White. It was disgraceful how underutilized he was this past season. He shouldn't had to have been switc...

It is not normal for coaches at any level to leave one of their most productive players on the sidelines unless something that we are not aware of. White looked fantastic two years ago in the second half of the season and for some reason he couldn't get on the field at the start of the season. This year he was supposed to rotate with Werner at the Sam/Bullit and we all know how that worked out. He has had problems seeing the field with two different sets of defensive coaches and that just doesn't make sense. My guess is there is something either classroom and or practice related to cause him to have sat despite having all the talent in the world. Either that or he felt entitled and that would not work at tOSU. My guess is this is more a White issue than the coaches inability to identify talent.

On a side note I am not sold on Proctor at the Safety spot. It seems when a player has bad instincts and takes poor angles it is very hard to correct that problem He will need to spend endless hours watching film to have his knowledge of what is happening allow him to make the right decisions on the field. Hope I am wrong here.