Welcome back Coach Coombs!

Welcome back Coach Coombs!

Arrow4
  • One of my all time favorite staff coaches ever here!

• Discussion
  • I've been waiting for this announcement, glad it is now official......welcome back Coach Coombs

• I first heard about Coach Coombs when he took over as head coach of Colerain H.S. in Cincinnati. He did wonders with that team even though it had practically no history of success in football. Not only can the guy coach but his players loved him. I think this is a fantastic hire. I think we'll see big things from the defense next year.

• If I remember correctly, coach Coombs was appreciated much more after he left than when he was here. On this Board, when he was here, he was criticized for being too much of a cheerleader and not teaching the technical skill set of the position. Once he left, we all understood that he did a damn good with the DBs. Welcome back, coach Coombs!

This post was edited by Jimmy77 27 days ago

• Jimmy77 said... (original post)n this Board, when he was here, he was criticized for being too much of a cheerleader and not teaching the technical skill set of the position.

Ummm...who said that and why did you pay attention to them? We all knew what we had, that's why we were so disappointed when he left.

• Very excited to see Coombs come back, home run hire after losing Hafley so quickly.

• IndyDog said... (original post)Ummm...who said that and why did you pay attention to them? We all knew what we had, that's why we were so disappointed when he left.

I tend to agree with Jimmy. I remember those posts as well. But, you never appreciate what you have till you don’t have it. So, glad to see Coach coming back.

• Who is his first real recruit commitment? I say “real” as I think Wade knew he was the coach and it’s why he came back.

• Jimmy77 said... (original post)If I remember correctly, coach Coombs was appreciated much more after he left than when he was here. On this Board, when he was here, he was critici...

I think it had more to do with the CB’s not turning their heads to find the ball n man to man coverage. Not so much with the talent level. It was the scheme not the coach.

I am sure Day is gonna keep running a zone scheme and not the man to man defense since there was great success last year. Also when he was here, we ranked far higher than the two years after.

This post was edited by AZBucknut8 27 days ago

• Jimmy77 said... (original post)If I remember correctly, coach Coombs was appreciated much more after he left than when he was here. On this Board, when he was here, he was critici...

I was definitely one of those anti-Coombs guys. I do agree that we have had some decent DBs come out of here. I am still a little cautious on him though because exactly as you said, I saw more cheerleading than technique building from him. He can recruit though, that is for sure.

• Coach Coombs had five first round NFL DB draft picks taken when he was at Osu. That's all anyone needs to know about him. He is a home run pick that will get the 5 star DB's and CB'S we need asap and have the current guys step up.

• I agree. Home run hire. Go look at what Titans players say about him leaving.

• I think the guy is awesome. Just awesome. However, just to play the other side a bit, I thought to myself....”what would need to start happening for me to reluctantly jump on an anti-Coombs bandwagon”? I suppose it would probably be defenders who don’t turn their heads toward the ball and instead “read the receiver’s eyes” and failing miserably at that. Short of that, I don’t think I could ever be on the anti train.

This post was edited by Jaudio 26 days ago

• Cmhguy2020 said... (original post)Coach Coombs had five first round NFL DB draft picks taken when he was at Osu. That's all anyone needs to know about him. He is a home run p...

+1, and if you want to add on Titans ranked near the bottom in passing yards allowed and in less than 2 years with Coombs was a top 10 secondary. Dude is for real, this is a great hire for Day

• I truly hope he has learned some new techniques--the type that'll give this Buckeye defense a "schematic advantage" in the words of Charlie Weiss. The type he can help successfully implement. Perhaps to offset his old face guarding the receiver nonsense he's most infamous for his last go round here but I digress.
    That was one of the refreshing things with Hafley coming in last year. I hope Day will be just as adamant about continuing to have the DBs turn their heads around the way he is about only using one high Safety on the defense.

That being said, this is as safe and as an assured of a hire as you could get. No need to worry about how much of an adjustment there'll be with the defense, etc esp since Coombs recruited a number of the older defenders on the roster.
    And I didn't even mention the recruiting aspect. But perhaps the biggest strength--beyond his defensive techniques however we may have felt about them is his memory of building a program up from scratch. He was here in those dog days of 2012 when Meyer had to rebuild the culture here. Coombs was right in the trenches with him and Marotti in doing that so he knows what it takes and his level of passion and enthusiasm about it can only be an asset.

He's part of the culture here and the good thing is that he's not far removed from it after having been gone for about two years. That's a bonus. It's as if we had an assistant take a sabattical and return with a slightly different roster.

• Jaudio said... (original post)I think the guy is awesome. Just awesome. However, just to play the other side a bit, I thought to myself....”what would need to start happening for ...

I agree!

• I just watched and listened to Coach Coombs news conference and I am very, VERY impressed!! I think I love the guy! The Buckeyes defense is in great hands!!! GO BUCKS!!!