Why can’t we recruit a qb like Burrow.

Why can’t we recruit a qb like Burrow.

Arrow-3
  • How do we get a passer like that on the roster? My last shot at Meyer not utilizing his talent. Hope Fields continues to evolve.

• Discussion
  • Go ***** yourself

• codexp2 said... (original post) How do we get a passer like that on the roster? My last shot at Meyer not utilizing his talent. Hope Fields continues to evolve.

Urban is (was) a great coach but his loyalty cost him in the end.

• horseshoe14084 said... (original post) Urban is (was) a great coach but his loyalty cost him in the end.

How can you say this. The guy who beat out Burrow for the job rewrote the Big Ten passing record book and was a 1st round NFL pick.
  • I think it's safe to say that had Burrow stayed we likely win the NC this year...

• Well we kinda did recruit a QB like Burrow once upon a time...
    can’t we keep a Heisman finalist QB like Justin Fields and have a crazy good offense next year:
    In all seriousness Justin Fields is gonna be a rock star next year with the talent coming back and a whole offseason to get healthy and learn the game more. This game will cement the drive for him to put the work in.

• buck1977 said... (original post) How can you say this. The guy who beat out Burrow for the job rewrote the Big Ten passing record book and was a 1st round NFL pick.

I love what Haskins accomplished and am rooting for him in the NFL. What I’ve been thinking about though is, with all else being equal it seems you’d want to start a pro-style QB who is also mobile (Burrow) over a pro-style QB who is not. Burrow adds a dimension to the game that Haskins does not. In hind sight, it seems Burrow should have been given the opportunity to start.

• miguelissimo said... (original post) I love what Haskins accomplished and am rooting for him in the NFL. What I’ve been thinking about though is, with all else being equal it seem...

But keep in mind that it took Burrow until his second season at LSU before he was a star. Last year Haskins was a star at OSU and Burrow was okay at LSU.

Burrow may not have been ready at OSU when he was here. He may still have had a lot of growing to do. Also, he broke his hand at OSU and we don't know how much that injury played into the decision.
  • buck1977 said... (original post) But keep in mind that it took Burrow until his second season at LSU before he was a star. Last year Haskins was a star at OSU and Burrow was okay ...

It also helps when LSU brings in Joe Brady who brings their offense forward 40 years. Burrow was also 200-1 to win the Heisman at the start of the season so exactly nobody thought he would go from last season to having the single greatest QB season in SEC history.

He left when he lost the job to Haskins - who went on to have the greatest single season passing in B1G history and was taken in the first round. I wish we could all fortune tell as well as the coaching staff at the time.

• buck1977 said... (original post) But keep in mind that it took Burrow until his second season at LSU before he was a star. Last year Haskins was a star at OSU and Burrow was okay ...

That's why sticking around and developing more as a player can be a good thing. We didn't win an NC with Haskins last year and we didn't win one this year...

Correct. Pining for Burrow is ridiculous. Some of you guys need to cut it out.

Haskins was much better in 2018 than Burrow.

Imagine what Haskins would have done this season if he had been the guy who transferred out and had to sit out in 2018. Imagine how stupid Meyer would have looked if Haskins had been in the transfer portal, especially coming off the JTBIV years.

Fields is awesome and he's going to lead us to a NC. We wouldn't even be having this thread if Olave had run the post route instead of breaking it off.

This post was edited by JAG24 1 month ago

• JAG24 said... (original post) Correct. Pining for Burrow is ridiculous. Some of you guys need to cut it out.Haskins was much better in 2018 than Burrow. Imagine what Haskins would ...

Imagine how stupid it would be to let go of a Heisman Trophy NC winner through a transfer portal...
  • I hope you are right that Fields will lead us to an NC next year but I feel like this was the year given what we are losing on D next year.

• Fields is a star qb he had 40 tds to 1 interception before lastnight. I hope his knee heals off season or if needed He gets it scoped out so he will be 100% healthy.

• codexp2 said... (original post) How do we get a passer like that on the roster? My last shot at Meyer not utilizing his talent. Hope Fields continues to evolve.

Don't be a dumbass bro" Dobbins dropped two TDs get the f outta here with this bullshit talk" kid was playing on a bum knee as well" how did Burrow do his first year starting ur no Einstein yamiright?" All Fields did was take us undefeated season and too a playoff where the whole team made stupid mistakes and some bad calls we got screwed on" fields is a first year stater giveit a break" we didn't lose because of fields..ur not very bright today huh?
  • buck1977 said... (original post) How can you say this. The guy who beat out Burrow for the job rewrote the Big Ten passing record book and was a 1st round NFL pick.

He's a dumbass ...
  • Cmhguy2020 said... (original post) Fields is a star qb he had 40 tds to 1 interception before lastnight. I hope his knee heals off season or if needed He gets it scoped out so he ...

It's a sprained MCL. No need for a scope. Simply time and rest.

There is no physical structure damage. Just a stretched ligament.

How did Haskins and Burrows sit behind JT ******** Barrett? Someone needs to ask Urban that someday.

• BuckeyeJazz said... (original post) Imagine how stupid it would be to let go of a Heisman Trophy NC winner through a transfer portal...

That is some serious revisionist history.

In 2018, Joe Burrow was 219 of 379 (58%) for 2894 yards, 16 TDs and 5 INTs with his previous QB coach and offensive coordinator. Haskins was MUCH better than that in 2018.

In 2019, LSU hired Joe Brady as the Passing Game Coordinator and he has made a world of difference to Burrow. Without Brady, Burrow improves on last year's numbers, but not like he's done with Brady.

Joe Burrow is NOT the Heisman Trophy winner if Brady doesn't get hired, and if he stayed here he'd be bured on the bench since Brady wasn't hired here.

EDIT: https://www.si.com/college/2019/12/08/lsu-georgia-joe-burrow-joe-brady

^^^ Brady installed a system that played to Joe's strengths, and would never have happened while Meyer was here.

This post was edited by fatchuck 1 month ago

• fatchuck said... (original post) That is some serious revisionist history. In 2018, Joe Burrow was 219 of 379 (58%) for 2894 yards, 16 TDs and 5 INTs with his previous QB coach an...

I know what the numbers are. The facts remain that Osu didn't win the NC last year with Haskins and they didn't win it this year... and it looks like Burrow is going to win an NC for Lsu not even 2 years after he showed up on campus and brought their offense out of the stone age.

This post was edited by BuckeyeJazz 1 month ago

• chuck0609 said... (original post) How did Haskins and Burrows sit behind JT ******** Barrett? Someone needs to ask Urban that someday.

Because JTB was experienced running Urban's offense. Remember in 2014 when JTB was thought to be a legit Heisman candidate.
  • BuckeyeJazz said... (original post) I know what the numbers are. The facts remain that Osu didn't win the NC last year with Haskins and they didn't win it this year... a...

This I think is the frustration. Burrow looks set to win an NC and neither Haskins nor Fields delivered that during the same time period.

• BuckeyeJazz said... (original post) I know what the numbers are. The facts remain that Osu didn't win the NC last year with Haskins and they didn't win it this year... a...

That's because LSU made a key hire in Joe Brady, and they gave him the freedom to install his passing system. Without Brady, absolutely no one is talking about Joe Burrow.

• Brady is 30 years old without much of a coaching pedigree. LSU really got lucky.

• Cmhguy2020 said... (original post) Fields is a star qb he had 40 tds to 1 interception before lastnight. I hope his knee heals off season or if needed He gets it scoped out so he ...

And his first true year starting" some of these guys think they know everything" If Burrow didn't light it up this year fields wins the Heisman" some fans are just not that bright...And Basking was one of the best lure passers ever too dawn and Osu Jersey best passer I have ever seen at Osu" but hey when is Osu gonna get a throwing QB what a dumbass thread and Post
  • buck1977 said... (original post) Because JTB was experienced running Urban's offense. Remember in 2014 when JTB was thought to be a legit Heisman candidate.

He was horrendous from that scum game he was hurt going forward.

TWO first round QB picks (the first 2 at OSU in 30 years) sat behind him. Unexplainable.