Wonder if

Wonder if

• Irban ever wonders what would have been if Burrow would have been our QB instead of JT? I don't think I have ever seen a college QB quite like Burrow.

• Discussion
  • Just stop...

• It’s only the beginning. We’re going to be reading posts second guessing Urb’s decision for years to come. Right JAG??

This post was edited by EYE93 1 month ago

• Of course he has but then again this is what we expected from Urban after he first took the head coach job here. Remember this was a guy who had both Tebow and Cam Newton on the same roster at the same time.

We thought we hit a triple when we had a Heisman candidate and perennial B1G Silver football award winner in Braxton go down to an injury only to be replaced by a redshirt Freshman who'd go on to win his own B1G Silver football, finish fifth in the Heisman and take the Bucks to a ten, eleven-game winning streak before he too went down with an injury. Then replace him with a third-string QB who'd finish the job for the Bucks through the postseason.
    But really it was the QB competition from two years ago between Burrow and Haskins which proved to be the true barometer. And even after all that Burrow has accomplished, it's still a hard sell on whether Meyer should've chosen him as the starter here.

Recall that Haskins' season here was far more outstanding than anything Burrow had done down in Baton Rogue in his first year. With Burrow as the starter in 2018, the Bucks probably lose two, maybe even three regular season games. Haskins bailed the team out in many of those games considering the all-time worst Buckeye defense he had to work with. Burrow improved as the season went along down in Baton Rogue but he was more a caretaker and game manager initially.

And who's to say how Haskins may have even improved had he chosen to stay here for a second year. I do think that Burrow was a better team leader than Haskins and that could've been the x factor and not to mention his "caution to the wind, run when in doubt to win" mantra. I don't think there's any substitute for that.

In the end it's one of those calls in which it's hard to see any real downsides or negatives about because we had two QBs on this roster who are now in the top 10 in college football history for having thrown for the most TDs in a single season. And maybe the only thing we were really robbed of was a potential Burrow vs Haskins matchup in The CFP National title game. That may have possibly gone down as the highest-rated title game ever.

• Great topic. This has to be the first time seeing a thread about "What if" Burrow had stayed here.

• Only in hindsight does Joe get picked to start over Haskins. The JTB question is different, and we have hashed that thing to death.

• He was nursing an injury at the time. Things happen. We won a natty.

Who cares. What if he would have transferred to UM? Would UM have won the national title last night?

If Brady would have spent the last 15 years on the Cleveland Browns; would they have 4 Super Bowls?

Sure, great players make teams greater. But there’s no guarantee Burrow would have been a record setting QB at OSU.

There’s no guarantee a team gets a super bowl with or without Brady.

I’m just stoked about next year. Presumably, Fields will be 100% and we have some hungry up and comers, as well as some returning studs. Next season will be awesome.

Clemson, BAMA, and OSU took in monster recruiting talent. 4-5 stars everywhere.

Clemson’s win streak is over, and they are officially dethroned.

Bama is wounded but looking ready to retake the SEC.

UGA, Auburn, and just about every other SEC will come in highly overrated.

Fields comes in a heavy favorite for the heisman.

LSU will fade back into a 9-10 win team: life after burrow will suck.

• Sure, great players make teams greater. But there’s no guarantee Burrow would have been a record setting QB at OSU.

If he wouldn't have then thats on the Coach's .
    Great Coach's and programs recognize the need to sometimes make changes to their approach and systems to put their team in the best position to succeed .
    Thats what LSU did with Joe after having him 1 year in the system. They went out and got the right guy to implement the system to make them not only successful , but National Champs. The older Offensive Coordinator was willing to check his ego this year and let Brady more or less run the show and play calling.
    Meyer's history here with the Offense and especially JTB was very stubborn to embrace that kind of change or check any egos except JTB's.
    Maybe if Day had taken over a year earlier before Spring Ball , Joe is still here who knows.
    He made the right choice and is very very Lucky he went to a place open enough to play to his strengths.

• I do have confidence in Day's ability to adapt a contemporary offense and make it work well. That will be the key.

• Joe Burrow wasn't JOE BURROW last year, much less 3 years ago.....

• AlaBuckeye2 said... (original post)Joe Burrow wasn't JOE BURROW last year, much less 3 years ago.....

You must not have seen him play in High school. I did several times and he was a stud.

Chase Young wasn't either or JK Dobbins for that matter. So not sure what the point is.

But in both cases and Joes the potential was always there once they matured into College Athletes.

Plus like i stated Ed. O. and LSU recgonized the system he was in wasn't maximizing his potential.

Heck Tom Brady wasn't TOM BRADY at Michigan either. He sat behind the great Drew Henson for a better part of his career.

This post was edited by tcsoup 1 month ago

• The point was......the original question asking if urban regretted sitting Burrow over JT Barrett(a many record holding quarterback). .......and thru last year, even as a full time starter, Joe Burrow had shown nothing that indicated he would be a Heisman Trophy winning 80% completing TD record setting QB. Nothing.

I thought he looked good in the 10 or so attempts i saw him when he came in as a backup late in games. But I didn't hear people saying "That's a Heisman Trophy winner and top 5 NFL draft pick there".

• EYE93 said... (original post)It’s only the beginning. We’re going to be reading posts second guessing Urb’s decision for years to come. Right JAG??

LOL. No. I've moved on from JTBIV and Urban.

And although I despise LSU, Joe Burrow played phenomenal and the State of Ohio should be happy for him. They will get him back as a Bengal.

As for me and TOSU, I'm still not quite over the Clemson loss, but very happy to have Fields and optimistic he can lead us to a NC.

• Burrow made the biggest improvement of any CFB player ever from 2018 to 2019. Burrow was not better than JT in 2017.

• AlaBuckeye2 said... (original post)Joe Burrow wasn't JOE BURROW last year, much less 3 years ago.....

You are 100% correct.

I was listening to an analyst on the radio that I respect Very much. Very knowledgeable. He pointed out that in September, Joe Burrow wasn’t even on the draft radar; maybe a 3rd round back up. Now, he’s going to go #1

• Joe Burrow appeared to have all the tools to be a good (even very good) college QB. I don't think anyone would have predicted 5,700 passing yards and 60 TDs though.

It is pretty hard to argue with the production Ohio State has gotten out of Dwayne Haskins (in 2018) and Justin Fields (in 2019). Two amazing seasons turned in by two complete studs.

I can live with the choice and be happy for all three of these young men....

• The short answer is NO.

• It's human nature to wonder "what if?" ... and of course, seeing Burrow achieve such a level of greatness less than two years from wearing a Buckeye uniform, the thoughts will naturally linger.

But ...

Dwayne Haskins was the better QB at the time, and he rewarded Urban's decision by putting up the best numbers in the history of the Big 10, and becoming the first Big 10 quarterback to be drafted in the first round of the NFL draft since Kerry Collins was drafted WAY BACK in 1995.

And ...

If Burrow stayed at Ohio State, there is no guarantee that he would have thrived the same under OSU's offensive system ... and, Justin Fields would never have transferred to Ohio State, thus leaving the 2020 season with a MAJOR question mark.

All in all, it worked out just fine for all parties. Cheers to Burrow. Cheers to Urban. #WeGood

• sugarcrystal said... (original post)Of course he has but then again this is what we expected from Urban after he first took the head coach job here. Remember this was a guy who ha...

Great post, Sugar!

• sugarcrystal said... (original post)Of course he has but then again this is what we expected from Urban after he first took the head coach job here. Remember this was a guy who ha...

Burrow would have been much better for OSU last season than he was for LSU. Our offense would have been a better fit for Burrow. LSU’s scheme last year was terrible. That being said I think Urban made the right decision at the time by starting Haskins but I think we go 13-1 last year with Burrow as well or at worst 12-2.

This post was edited by 13256UNC 1 month ago

• tcsoup said... (original post)You must not have seen him play in High school. I did several times and he was a stud. Chase Young wasn't either or JK Dobbins for that matter. ...

BINGO!

• JAG24 said... (original post)LOL. No. I've moved on from JTBIV and Urban.And although I despise LSU, Joe Burrow played phenomenal and the State of Ohio should be happy for hi...

He might even be a future representative of the Great State of Ohio. If Anthonly Gonzalez, former Buckeye, can run for office what do you think Joe Burrow

could do if we wants that type of work? He would be a "Shoe in"....... for the job. He's got time and benefit of the doubt on his side. Give the kid the upside as his

life won't end by being a Bengal.

BN

• OSUfromcal said... (original post)Burrow made the biggest improvement of any CFB player ever from 2018 to 2019. Burrow was not better than JT in 2017.

Glad someone went out there and said it! Now we can put this BS notion to bed forever. The OP needs to sit in the corner and go back to read

JT's stats from that period. Dude was putting up like 40-45 TDS a season and he beat out Burrow in head to head competition. As much as that

truth hurts......its the truth! Its the facts.........JACK!

STOP ASKING THESE STUPID "WHAT IF QUESTIONS" as its irritating AF ...... and wreaks of some serious "cry baby" effiminate behavior!

Tip your cap to Joe, LSU, the Buckeye coaches for helping the kid find his way and move the hell on! #OffMYSoapBoxAsOfNow user generated

BN

• Buckeyefan391 said... (original post)You are 100% correct. I was listening to an analyst on the radio that I respect Very much. Very knowledgeable. He pointed out that in Septembe...

More of them facts........

BN

• horseshoe14084 said... (original post)Irban ever wonders what would have been if Burrow would have been our QB instead of JT? I don't think I have ever seen a college QB quit...

Dude, he was bad his first year at LSU, he wasn't even close to starting for us. Nebraska nor anyone else even took a shot on him. Yes, he matured, mentally and physically to become a great QB, but he wasn't when he was here.

• What if lightning is just google earth taking pictures?