Rahne....here's where I need help"

Rahne....here's where I need help"

Arrow4
  • I have generally been a Rahne supporter. I think he generally calls a good game and have always said that lack of WR execution is crushing this offense. But here is where I need help. His job is to call a scheme that maximizes the talent we have to put points on the board. Yes, OSU's defense is good. Yes it was at Ohio St. We had 65 yards of offense in first half. Someone posted on another board that the QBR was like 25 for Cliff and 13 for Levis. That is eye opening.

My biggest issue with Rahne is why he can't adjust around the poor WR play. Our best offensive weapons are KJ, PF, Brown, Cain, Ford, and Bowers. We did run some two TE sets yesterday. Why not just make that the base offense and throw in 2 RB sets as well? His lack of creativity in big games is really poor.

Moorehead was a great OC (Probably a bad D1 HC though) because he came in and installed an offense that masked the biggest weakness which was the oline. Now the oline is pretty good and our WRs are not. But we have the offensive talent at other positions to mask this as well but we don't. That's what is so frustrating.

Next year is the make or break year for Rahne. Please figure out how to make this offense more creative.

• Discussion
  • This should end well.

Edit: I’ll add that I don’t think you’re wrong, but check the board before you start a new post. There are Already other RR threads.

This post was edited by JuryMillJake 6 months ago

• he is not a OC good enough to be at a program likE PSU . people criticized jay, and they should have. but even he had OC experience. learning at the level PSU is at is rare unless your head coach is the real OC.

all your points are valid. we don’t seem to play to our own strengths consistently for 60 minutes. would rahne ever open up a game like ohio st did and call 12 out of 13 run plays? rahne is always tryong to be clever and it almost always backfires.

i personally don’t think the morehead scheme works at this level against elite competion.

• I've thought the same thing about Moorehead's scheme as well. Maybe it just to easy to scheme against. I'm not sure. It would have been interesting to see this oline with 16/17 teams though.

• I had a lovely curry from MyThai last night. I just took a dump and my **** burned a little bit.

• caphony43 said... (original post) I had a lovely curry from MyThai last night. I just took a dump and my **** burned a little bit.

Don’t eat curry and that won’t happen

• Oh goodie. Another Rahne thread.

• Rahne blows.

• I figure I will just keep dropping this post in all of the Fire Rahne threads as an educational opportunity

i hate to break it to all of the “fire Rahne”, “fire Limegrover” and get a new QB from the portal guys on this board, y’all are going to be disappointed this off season. These wishes are not going to happen in the off season. JF (and the PSU Adm) will view a 12-2 season with a chance for a New Years Day Bowl as a complete success this year especially when the expectations from the pundits were very low ( anyone remember the 4th in the B1G east predictions). JF will be looking to make tweaks to his program not major overhauls. So there will be no new OC or OL coach unless they get hit by a bus. We can only hope the tweaks bring continuous improvement and not stagnation.

• Our OL is not pretty good. They were getting caved in from three different directions on any passing play that required two seconds to develop. Our OL is B1G Average at best.

This post was edited by sometruth 6 months ago

• Prad said... (original post) I figure I will just keep dropping this post in all of the Fire Rahne threads as an educational opportunity i hate to break it to all of the “fire Rah...

Any reasonable person with a foothold in reality would view 12-2 this season as a tremendous success.

• sometruth said... (original post) Any reasonable person with a foothold in reality would view 12-2 this season as a tremendous success.

100% agreed

• Omaha83 said... (original post) I have generally been a Rahne supporter. I think he generally calls a good game and have always said that lack of WR execution is crushing this off...

There’s no offensive talent that can mask bad wide receiver play. You can’t only run the ball against good teams.

• 12-2? Big if Trur

• Oh goodie, another fire Rahne thread that praises JoeMo. Let’s face facts, JoeMo wasn’t as good of an OC as everyone on here thinks he is and his scheme of mismatched numbers just doesn’t work against good teams as well as it does ***** teams. JoeMo lost to Pitt, got his **** beat by Michigan, lost by 1 point to OSU in the Shoe, lost to MSU, and lost to USC. His track record is basically the same as Rahne’s. I actually posted a thread in the off-season comparing the JoeMo and the Rahne offense, and the number are very similar. Rahne is actually better at establishing the run per the numbers than JoeMo. Morehead’s scheme is just not a world beater like many believe it is, hence why Miss St is a dumpster.

• Would love to see post & post corner routes.
    Clifford also has happy feet and a below average arm strength. Not a good combo. Downvote away but it’s true.

• DelcoLion10 said... (original post) Would love to see post & post corner routes.Clifford also has happy feet and a below average arm strength. Not a good combo. Downvote away ...

No reason to downvote because it is true

• DelcoLion10 said... (original post) Would love to see post & post corner routes.Clifford also has happy feet and a below average arm strength. Not a good combo. Downvote away ...

Doesn’t really have a lack of arm strength. He needs to set his feet and drive the ball. His happy feet just make it look like he has a weak arm.

• First - Penn State and any college football team thinks their OC is crap and needs to be fired after the season. Only LSU feels differently right now and that won't last once they lose a game.

Second - The revisionist history on this board is comical. We wanted Fran Ganter gone, we want Hall/Jay gone, when O'Brien was OC and head coach everyone said he needed to hire an OC because he couldn't do both, JoeMo's decision making and system frustrated people - after the UM game everyone was ready to can him. It's just Rahne turns in the dumpster fire of being an OC at a major college program.

Even JoeMo struggled to get the ball in Barkley's hands. Early in the 2017 campaign, teams were keying the read so McSorely would keep and he had to get more creative to find a way to get touches. Football is a game of teams adjusting and you adjusting to them.

• Is it something in the water around here that no one can spell either of our last two OCs names correctly? Did Moorhead's MSU gig come with a contractual extra "e"?

• potter102411 said... (original post) Doesn’t really have a lack of arm strength. He needs to set his feet and drive the ball. His happy feet just make it look like he has a weak a...

We’re essentially saying the same thing.

But Clifford 100% has a below average arm strength with or without setting his feet. Tape doesn’t lie.

• potter102411 said... (original post) Oh goodie, another fire Rahne thread that praises JoeMo. Let’s face facts, JoeMo wasn’t as good of an OC as everyone on here thinks he is and ...

agree. rahne and franklin need to really divorce themselves from morehead offense this offseason and develop better overall offensive schemes.

• Oh good another rahne thread. Why make another. Just add to the 50000 we already have.

• potter102411 said... (original post) Oh goodie, another fire Rahne thread that praises JoeMo. Let’s face facts, JoeMo wasn’t as good of an OC as everyone on here thinks he is and ...

I'm not saying fire Rahne or hire Moorehead. I've liked a lot of what RR has done this year. I'm just wondering if the entire scheme is to easy to figure out or prevents a lack of creativity.

• Omaha83 said... (original post) I'm not saying fire Rahne or hire Moorehead. I've liked a lot of what RR has done this year. I'm just wondering if the entire scheme ...

I think the data shows that the Morehead scheme doesn’t work as well in games against top flight opponents.

• I watch a lot of football. To me the biggest problem with this offense is nobody gets open. 70% of that is due to scheme. We have guys as fast as those at other schools but teams like Ohio State, Bama etc run route tree combinations that get their athletes open in space. We rarely do this.

This post was edited by jacksonPollack 6 months ago