Eagle Rare

Eagle Rare

Arrow14
  • VASCGCock said... (original post) I have always liked bourbon but recently started drinking scotch and really enjoy it. I have tried McCallans 12 and Oban 14 and a cheaper one cal...

Glenmorangie Quinta Rubin is a port finished for anywhere from $40-60. Really just a solid scotch, and probably the best flavor for the money.

Glenfiddich 15 is good, and pretty affordable.

The Balvenie Double Wood is solid, aged in oak and sherry. Price widely varies.

I think tasting a bunch of different ones side by side is what really helped me identify the flavors I liked. Turns out my assumptions were right...I love smokey.

• Thanks Hellrooster !

• MCC said... (original post) I'm not a rye fan really, but the AE is super interesting. Can smell it from 5 feet away. So distinct. Need to try Barrell - have heard good thing...

I enjoy the AE Rye but fell into the High West Midwinter’s Night Dram recently and really like this one. Michters Rye is a solid go to for something under $40. Obviously the Willett Rye is solid but finding it is tough sometimes. I enjoy bourbon very much but the complexity of Rye has really peaked my interest.

• Henry McKenna 10yr Single Barrel. $29.99 a bottle. Best value

• Great thread. If I’m going for value, it’s hard to beat Evan Williams White Label, bottled in bond.

• This thread is so much better than Gamecock Football threads. More of these please!

On that note, I find it interesting that so many people find it hard get their hands on certain bottles. I know "bigger" markets are not the places to go. For instance, Blantons/Buffalo Trace/ Eagle Rare etc... are hard to find in Columbia but if you leave the city you can find great bottles. I grabbed a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 yesterday and it was at MSRP. Saw a bottle of George T Stagg for $400 as well but I don't play with the secondary market price gouging.

Back to the original post, I think ER is hard to beat for the price point. Sazerac Rye for the price is also great IMO

• Alum2009 said... (original post) Henry McKenna 10yr Single Barrel. $29.99 a bottle. Best value

That bottle is retailing for more like 45 now since it won the Gold for Best Bourbon at San Fran Bourbon Festival. Stupid price hike, but if you see it for 30 now, let me know.

• jshusc said... (original post) That bottle is retailing for more like 45 now since it won the Gold for Best Bourbon at San Fran Bourbon Festival. Stupid price hike, but if you see ...

No kidding. The taters have ruined it - can't find anywhere and if you do it's 2x price

• HellRooster4 said... (original post) Glenmorangie Quinta Rubin is a port finished for anywhere from $40-60. Really just a solid scotch, and probably the best flavor for the money....

Good list. Add Talisker 10...tougher if you hate any peat, but I love it so my choice would be Talisker (and like Balvenie also). Bowmore 18 is $100+ but man it's incredible. But as many have said - especially with Scottish whisky - it's really up to personal taste and preference.

• HellRooster4 said... (original post) Glenmorangie Quinta Rubin is a port finished for anywhere from $40-60. Really just a solid scotch, and probably the best flavor for the money....

All very solid scotch choices. I'll throw in Glenfiddich 14 year, and GlenMorangie - all solid. Too bad you all aren't in Destin tonight. We have our Bourbon at the Bay event. 12 high-end bourbons and 4 high-end scotches for tasting, all for only $65. Even have Pappy's on the tasting list!

• MCC said... (original post) Good list. Add Talisker 10...tougher if you hate any peat, but I love it so my choice would be Talisker (and like Balvenie also). Bowmore 18 is $100+ b...

Talisker has more PPM than any other scotch, as a general rule. HR4 noted a great list earlier in the thread for variety, Highland Park is the northern most/Orkney scotch to try for variety. If ya like smoother, Irish whiskey will please your pallet due to 3 times distilled, Redbreast is my go to, I have always gone with the 12 year old, imagine the 15 and 18 are good also.

This post was edited by cep 6 months ago

• cep said... (original post) Talisker has more PPM than any other scotch, as a general rule. HR4 noted a great list earlier in the thread for variety, Highland Park is the northern ...

Not true about Talisker (only correcting so it doesn’t scare anyone away from a great whisky). It’s one of the more heavily peated non-Islay stuff true, but the Islay whiskies are still more heavily peated. Talisker is a great gateway option to see if you’re ready for the heavier stuff. Lagavulin 16 is my go to, but a good Ardbeg amps up the peat if you’re in the mood. And then there’s Octomore - which isn’t half bad but obviously a total peat bomb.

Totally with you on Redbreast. It’s excellent

This post was edited by MCC 6 months ago

• MCC said... (original post) Not true about Talisker (only correcting so it doesn’t scare anyone away from a great whisky). It’s one of the more heavily peated non-Islay stuff true...

After thinking I hated Scotch for many years, I was handed a glass of Lagavulin 16 one night and it blew my mind. Kind of rare I think to initially know you love smoke and peat, but there are some others that are really great and smooth. The Dalmore 15 ($130) is as good as I’ve had.

To me Laphraoig Quarter Cask and Ardbeg 10 are almost indistinguishable. Other from Laphroaig are good like their Triple Wood but I don’t notice a lot of difference between them. Ardbeg, I’ve only had the 10. Also haven’t had Caol Ila yet. I guess I’m just trying to find something that compares to Lagavulin 16. Looking forward to it.

• Yes $40.00

user generated

• MCC said... (original post) Not true about Talisker (only correcting so it doesn’t scare anyone away from a great whisky). It’s one of the more heavily peated non-Islay stuff true...

Dang it MCC, been outta the biz too long, Laphroig, think it has most PPM.

This post was edited by cep 6 months ago

• I’m going to add this, Jim Beam Repeal Batch is very underrated and for the price point, less than 20.00, is a great value.

• New Riff is a great up and coming distillery.

• Anyone in the Charleston area or visiting the Charleston area go to Grace & Grit in Mt. Pleasant. Amazing bourbon selection.

• HellRooster4 said... (original post) After thinking I hated Scotch for many years, I was handed a glass of Lagavulin 16 one night and it blew my mind. Kind of rare I think to init...

We must have similar tastes - I had the same reaction to Lagavulin 16. It’s just better than the rest. But give it to my brother and he’s like no thanks. Dalmore is another great one. A buddy had a bottle of the King Alexander and it was incredible. I haven’t tried much Laphroaig - need to do that. I usually keep the Lagavulin and an Ardbeg 10 handy and sort of got into that pattern. Had Ardbeg last night actually

• cep said... (original post) Dang it MCC, been outta the biz too long, Laphroig, think it has most PPM.

It’s Octomore (from Bruichladdich), which was basically a mission to make the world’s most heavily peated single malt. If you like peat, and you must like peat - it’s pretty good. Bruichladdich also makes Botanist, one of my favorite gins

• Just picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare thanks to this thread. Think he upsold me a little. $50 but it’s worth the try.

• Oh man - just spent WAY too much but had to do it. Found an EH Taylor small batch, EH Taylor single barrel and a Rock Hill Farms single barrel. Bought them all - whew

• europhilz said... (original post) Agreed. Wellers is def up there.

Here's a great link (below) on the Buffalo Trace mash bills and associated bourbons. I actually didn't realize the Bowmans were connected until reading this - those are great - i've got a John J Bowman single barrel in the current rotation. Also if you want to go super cheap - Benchmark and Ancient Age are perfectly fine bourbons, and they are CHEAP

Buffalo Trace mash bills

• MCC said... (original post) Here's a great link (below) on the Buffalo Trace mash bills and associated bourbons. I actually didn't realize the Bowmans were connected unt...

Have you seen the Hancocks Presidents Reserve from BT? Same mash bill as Blantons.

• europhilz said... (original post) Have you seen the Hancocks Presidents Reserve from BT? Same mash bill as Blantons.

Have seen it but never had the pleasure of trying it