2020 Basketball Recruiting Thread

2020 Basketball Recruiting Thread

• I think the answer is no but I will ask. Are we recruiting Noah Hutchins PG from IMG Academy Fla.

• JHG722 said... He's maybe 6'1

Yup

• Gabbi said... (original post)

If he cancels the official visit scheduled for 9/28, then I hope Aaron withdraws the offer. I don't want guys who only come here because they did not get a "better" offer.

Doubt that he would do that unilaterally, because it would seem too vindictive. This must be a stressful situation for the young man. Maybe he just doesn't feel like he's 100% ready to commit to playing on any collegiate team in 2020-21. Maybe he senses that another year of development might help him get off to a stronger start in 2021. Both parties may prefer to quietly drop the matter of an official visit at this point, while LG3 continues to reflect and weigh his options.

Another possibility or likelihood may be that, seeing the handwriting on the wall for 2020, but not wanting to sit on the bench or red shirt at Temple in 2020-21, he may simply prefer to continue developing his skills as an active player at a top prep school, such as Oak Hill. With an extra year of development, he might end up as a 4 or 5 star recruit with multiple offers from elite schools with a chance to become a starter, while retaining the option to enter his first season at as a potential starter at Temple in 2021.

Realistically, if he were to enter his freshman year at Temple, he probably wouldn't be a starter due to his lack of D1 experience, and he would have to compete with NPL, Scott, Strickland, JPL, and Dunn for playing time. With little playing time available at Temple as a 2020 recruit, there would be little incentive to enroll at Temple in 2020.

Waiting until 2021 would give him an opportunity to potentially start at Temple alongside Strickland, JPL, or Dunn as a freshman, following the departure of NPL and Scott. Notably, he has stated that the addition of Strickland, JPL, and Forrester, as well as the better "vibe" at Temple with McKie as Head Coach, made him interested enough in Temple to list his interest as "warm."

He might be able to envision competing with Strickland, JPL, and Dunn for a starting position in Temple's back court in 2021, after Scott and NPL's departure.

This post was edited by granger87 1 year ago

• Nixon, visited Temple over the weekend.

This post was edited by CaribOwl 1 year ago

• 2021 recruit Tahron Allen is taking an unofficial to North Board this weekend.

Brooklyn Collegiate’s Tahron Allen @TahAllen will be taking an unofficial visit to Temple University this weekend @TUMBBHoops
    @Andrew__Slater @NYCHoopsnball @nycprospects @daves_joint @NikeNYC @NYRhoops @PatLawless_ @PaulBiancardi @gregthompson27 @AdamZagoria @AdamFinkelstein pic.twitter.com/BZnVZ1S2RQ— BCLionsHoops (@BCLionsHoops) September 17, 2019

• CaribOwl said... (original post)

2021 recruit Tahron Allen is taking an unofficial to North Board this weekend....

Since 2021 recruits are taking official visits to Temple, one wonders if perhaps LG III will go through with his plans to make an official visit, with the understanding that he is a 2021 recruit at this point.

• granger87 said... Since 2021 recruits are taking official visits to Temple, one wonders if perhaps LG III will go through with his plans to make an official visit, with the underst...

I’d assume Lynn Greer III to temple is back to being an old story

• CaribOwl said... Greer is a legit 6'-3". Which very good size for a pg. Slightly below average as an athlete thou.

i see him listed as 6'1" maybe that is an old height?

• Coach McKie checked out priority 2021 recruit Stevie Mitchell yesterday.

• Don’t think we’re out on LG3 just yet, and I hate this ‘bash Mckie as soon as there is a sliver of negative news stuff’, just stop it, the guy hasn’t coached a game let alone a season yet. The visit is still on and we’re gonna need as many as 5 or so recruits in 2021 so let’s just see what happens.

This post was edited by owlz2acc 1 year ago

• owlz2acc said... Don’t think we’re out on LG3 just yet, and I hate this ‘bash Mckie as soon as there is a sliver of negative news stuff’, just stop it

If you really believe LG3 didn't just screw us, we just offered a 2020 guard whose only other offer was Lagrange College.
  • The Owls were in to see 2020 forward Jonas Adioo. Coach Clark has been scouting Jonas for some time now.

• The Owls have offered 2021 sf Quincy Ademokoya (GA).

• The Owls have offered 2020 g Ra'Sean Frederick (GA).

This post was edited by CaribOwl 1 year ago

• owlz2acc said... (original post)

The visit is still on and we’re gonna need as many as 5 or so recruits in 2021 so let’s just see what happens.

Temple is still going to be a good option for him, regardless, and he has been listed as having "warm interest" in Temple with McKie as HC and incoming recruits. He's 1/2 year younger than his classmates, and doesn't want to spend a lot of time sitting on any bench in 2020-21. NPL and QR were both able to play 15-20 mpg as freshmen, but LG3 would have to compete with 6 other guards for playing time in '20-21.

By waiting a year, he'd have the advantage of being able to compete for a starting position or major minutes at Temple as a freshman. It would strengthen Temple's back court to have him playing alongside Strickland, JPL, Dunn, and White.

Vrock has pointed out that offers are still being extended to athletes for the 2020 class, but McKie still has slots to fill. It would seem that Temple needs a big man and a wing more than it needs a guard, but whatever. Perhaps if there's a talented guard who could double as a wing, McKie would sign him, but on the other hand, it might be possible to change his mind and reclassify back to 2020 if the situation warrants it. As sports writers have been noting, there is a lot of gamesmanship taking place in MBB recruiting these days, and it's most apparent from August to November.

The Owls were in to see 2020 forward Jonas Adioo. Coach Clark has been scouting Jonas for some time now.

Any relation to Bob McAdoo? whistling

Seriously, dude is 6'11" and still growing, showing ball handling skills.

This post was edited by granger87 1 year ago

• Juco PF Valder Manuel 6'9" 210 lbs. He plays at Harcum College. We were interested out of H.S. but seem to have lost interest?

He has offers from PSU and R.I. and Pitt is said to be targeting him. Coach Capel from Pitt just visited him.

Should our staff be getting involved?

The Owls have offered 2020 g Ra'Sean Frederick (GA).

The more I think of this, the more baffled I am by it, and the more it makes me wonder why a 2020 offer would go out to a guard at this point. If LG3 found the prospects of competing for playing time with 6 other guards in 2020 daunting, why wouldn't other guard prospects feel the same way, especially if LG3 is still a potential addition to the 2021 class?

With NPL, Scott, Strickland, JPL, Dunn, White, and Perry all available to play back court minutes in 2020, it seems to make the most sense to add a couple of taller players who could assist with interior defense and rebounding following Damion Moore's departure, if not by November, then by next June

• There's no offer

• JHG722 said... (original post) There's no offer

Coach McKie has followed him on Twitter, there must be significant interest.

If not, then Tristan maxwell appears to be our top target as a shooting guard.

• MynamesBob said... (original post)

JHG722 said... ( original post ) There's no offer Coach McKie has fol...

Regardless, Temple is loaded with shooting guards. It would seem almost incomprehensible to add yet another guard to a team with 6 guards NPL, Scott, JPL, Dunn, Strickland, White, and Perry (wing/forward) and only 4 legit big men, of which two (Moorman, Hamilton) will be gone after 2020-21 season. I could only fathom it if the guard were to be LG3, since he's a legacy recruit, son of one of Temple's greatest players ever.

• https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/mensbasketball/2019/09/19/center-naheem-mcleod-no-longer-fsu-basketball-roster/2379597001/
    In the "Be careful what you wish for because you may get it category", former recruit 7-3 C Naheem McLeod of Plymouth-Whitemarsh failed to meet requirements and is off FSU bball roster.

• I hope the young fella enjoyed his unofficial.

Big thank you to Coach Ross & Temple University @TUMBBHoops for having 6’4” 2021 G Tahron Allen @TahAllen out for an unofficial visit this afternoon ????
    @NYCHoops @NYCHoopsnball @PaulBiancardi @Andrew__Slater @NikeNYC @NYRhoops pic.twitter.com/N0jEmzqzez— BCLionsHoops (@BCLionsHoops) September 21, 2019