Hocutt statement on phantom illegal snap

Hocutt statement on phantom illegal snap

• Texas Tech Director of Athletics Kirby Hocutt has provided the following statement in regards to the Red Raiders’ 33-30 loss in double overtime to No. 22 Baylor Saturday afternoon at McLane Stadium in Waco.

“It is important to state that we have been in constant communication with the Big 12 Conference office from the immediate end of the game and throughout Sunday regarding the Illegal Snap call in the first overtime.

“It has been confirmed that the ruling on the field of an Illegal Snap was incorrect. The play is not reviewable by rule because it is a dead ball judgement call by the official. I am confident that the Big 12 Conference will deal with the matter internally as they complete the review of the game in its entirety.

“While this is a very unfortunate circumstance, I could not be more proud of our team and the competitive fight and effort with which they competed.”

• Discussion
  • Very surprised Kirby made a statement. He has some stones.

• Wreckem98 said... (original post) “It has been confirmed that the ruling on the field of an Illegal Snap was incorrect. The play is not reviewable by rule because it is a dead bal...

I'm trying to find an official statement from the B12 where they say the call was incorrect....maybe coming soon?

• Incompetent refs. The linesman who made the call wasn’t even in position to make the call. The flag was thrown only after a clear recovery of the ball by Tech. This shouldn’t have been that difficult to call a fumble, the ball clearly fell out of the centers hand and hit the turf, which is a live football. Unreal!

• Question:

What happens to a ref who is called out for making a call like this?

Is he suspended? Put on probation?

And can Tech request that he never is on an officiating crew of one of our games again?

Didn’t we do that with a ref named Bible or Cristal a few years ago? After they turned the game against Tech in favor of the longhorns?

• socal81 said... (original post) Question:What happens to a ref who is called out for making a call like this?Is he suspended? Put on probation?And can Tech request that he never i...

Answer: nothing.
  • socal81 said... (original post) Question:What happens to a ref who is called out for making a call like this?Is he suspended? Put on probation?And can Tech request that he never i...

Who are you going to replace him with; all Big 12 refs are awful. In most cases, I don’t even think it’s because they have a bias - they are just that damn bad.

• Nothing can be done. At least they admitted it was wrong and the refs can be advised on it. All we can do is move on.

• I’m sure our official official Chris Snead will chime in this week. I know they get graded out every week and they know they can lose their job in a heartbeat. Who knows if that will happen here. I’m glad I’m not under a microscope like these guys are. It’s a hard job.

• ArtesiaJayster said... (original post) I’m sure our official official Chris Snead will chime in this week. I know they get graded out every week and they know they can lose their ...

Then don't take it! There are numerous jobs in public that are hard and you better be willing to back it up. I am just tired of our players and coaches being held under a microscope and the ref's not. They are paid well to do this job and they chose to do it.

• BottomLine5150 said... (original post) I'm trying to find an official statement from the B12 where they say the call was incorrect....maybe coming soon?

exactly. someone please post a link. i guess Kirby is speaking for the b12 now because i havent seen jack. i'm madder today than i was yesterday.

ref should lose his job and we should fine the big12. we wouldnt get paid but it would make headlines and let others know we arent putting up with *****. this statement is not enough.

• kirby rolls over and plays dead when it comes to big 12.......shocked he released a statement at all, even though it was a weak one but where is he when they scheduled UT and OU both on the road in same year? our ad is a pushover and just continues to let them ***** on us because they know we have weak leadership.

Kirby you need to start righting this ship and taking ownership from schedule all the way down. Highest paid ad in the country......stop letting the big 12 walk on us

This post was edited by VamosRaidersRojos 1 month ago

• VamosRaidersRojos said... (original post) kirby rolls over and plays dead when it comes to big 12.......shocked he released a statement at all, even though it was a weak one but w...

No way! A VRR post "randomly" bashing the admin!

user generated

• VamosRaidersRojos said... (original post) kirby rolls over and plays dead when it comes to big 12.......shocked he released a statement at all, even though it was a weak one but w...

Man. Would you please just shut the hell up.

• recycler said... (original post) Man. Would you please just shut the hell up.

are you happy we have OU and UT on the road in same season? our ad is weak, stands up for nothing. pushover. we need to drain the tech admin swamp.

• VamosRaidersRojos said... (original post) are you happy we have OU and UT on the road in same season? our ad is weak, stands up for nothing. pushover. we need to drain the tech ad...

No we don’t. We need to drain ******* fans like yourself from the fan base

• recycler said... (original post) Man. Would you please just shut the hell up.

trashy poster. pure trash.

• VamosRaidersRojos said... (original post) trashy poster. pure trash.

Pot meet kettle

• recycler said... (original post) No we don’t. We need to drain ******* fans like yourself from the fan base

yes we do. bunch of pip squeaks including yourself that are happy with getting bent over and being dead last in p5 and being given a ***** big 12 schedule every year with OU and UT being on road same season.

This post was edited by VamosRaidersRojos 29 days ago

• VamosRaidersRojos said... (original post) yes we do. bunch of pussies including yourself that are happy with getting bent over and being dead last in p5.

Trashy poster, pure trash.

• recycler said... (original post) Trashy poster, pure trash.

pot meet kettle

• What are we dead last in P5? What category or area or whatever your feeble mind has made up? Tell us all great one!

• VRR when did u graduate from Tech?

Dale gribble.jpg
  • Carlen said... (original post) Very surprised Kirby made a statement. He has some stones.

I'm not surprised. Typically he would stay quiet, but this was so blatant and so unfair to our players that he felt like he need to show the team the support they deserve. His line about it being "confirmed" the call was wrong is basically a nice way of saying "It is confirmed that Tech won the game but the game was given to Baylor via a wrong call on the field".

Kirby is such a great asset for Tech. He's truly one of the best ADs in the country.