Giving up on Tome Herman(the coach side)

Giving up on Tome Herman(the coach side)

Arrow-35
  • Is it just me or is Tom Herman a hell of a recruit? Along with Tim beck they have pulled together some great talent that cannot be denied. Tom Herman is a person with great knowledge, he knows many things, he’s actually super smart! That being said, that’s looks to be all he has going for him. Tom Herman doesn’t seem to have the coaching gene, stick with me here I’m almost done. By that I mean aggressiveness. Any great coach you see has a gene of aggressiveness that when they’re backs are against the wall they forget the formulas the play book and what have you and they just adapt and show the aggressiveness of “oh hell no we’re not loosing this game.” Tom Herman to me seems to be conservative all the time, deniable of his staff , and looks to over analyze things. Tom Herman is a hell of a recruit, but to me that’s all he has going for him. I’m done with this crew, Todd Orlando has a small pass a very very small pass for having a lot of injuries. But to me he still over schemes things, try’s too much on denfense and some how looks too little. I mean for OU to have a 1st year DC and for him to come and turn the whole program around in one year! That’s awesome. Orlando did that his first year as well, but somewhere from his first year till now the defense has plummeted. But how when the talent is better?? It’s because of all the schemeing! These kids want to ball out! They want to play to their strengths, kids wanna be told just go out there and ball, show us why we recruited you, oh your a 4-5 star ok let’s see what you got. The thing that the DC for OU has done is get his talent to play comfortable, putting them in the best spots that fit them and let them just be athletes. It breaks my heart to see an OU team be tougher then Texas. But this Tom Herman train has left the station. Him and his “analysts” that he has back there with him aren’t doing nothing for him. As for Tim beck, we knew he was a bad coordinator since shane, but again he’s a hell of a recruiter. I want most of this staff gone but I’m affraid will lose a lot of momentum with recruits an have to start all over again and that’s something that I don’t wanna see happen. But there’ does have to be changes, and if Tom Herman is so loyal to his crew then he can leave with them. This program to me needs some toughness, some balls, some guts. This coaching staff needs to start pinning some responsibilities to players and themselves. I wanna see some anger! In conclusion, Tom Herman got no juice, has no cojones, he’s too soft. Todd Orlando, complicating the defense, blitzing every down, Just let them ball! Tim beck, just give him a role as full time quarterbacks coach and that’s it. Moving on..

• Discussion
  • Post less. You do realize that Herman didn't extend any contracts and most if not all have contracts expiring this year. That gives Herman the flexibility to make changes without worrying about buyouts.
    Herman called a terrible game. He was pass happy, didn't lean on the run game, and because of that we never got into a rhythm. That said, what's the alternative? Who is out there to hire that would come in and be better without any setbacks? We went to a NY6 bowl for the first time in this decade last season. We're 4-2 with losses to two top 5 teams by a combined 14 points. We still have an opportunity to make the Big 12 championship. We need to bounce back and commit to establishing the LOS by running the ball.

• When the running game don’t work let’s continue to do what isn’t working? Pass happy? Are you sure we’re watching the same games? Where’s the play calling? There was none. No defensive coordinators to hire? Don’t make me write a dang list, we have different opinions. Yours are obviously to keep Herman, which is cool. Yeah we made it to a new year 6 bowl, that was a bowl we made LUCKILY it wasn’t all the way earned! Had Georgia got the vote to go to the final 4 Texas doesn’t make that bowl so let’s not act like Texas straight made that bowl game from being so good. They were still not so great last year, now I admit our defense and offense have been better for the last 3 years but this is TEXAS! Y’all act like Texas can’t find or have the resources to get coaches and have staff like bama, Clemson, LSU, Ohio state. If you think this team don’t need some extras or lose some then post less

• EyesofTex512 said... (original post) When the running game don’t work let’s continue to do what isn’t working? Pass happy? Are you sure we’re watching the same games? Where’s the ...

RoJo averaged 10+ yards per carry. He only carried 8 times. We should've fed him early and often because we are much better run blocking than pass blocking. Pass happy, yes. Sam dropped back nearly 50 times and we've never won a game under Herman when we abandon the run. Our only two good drives of the game featured RoJo getting it done on the ground. If you want to fire Herman, who do you plan to hire? I'm seriously asking, who do you think CDC can hire? I personally think we are on the right trajectory even though there are things that need to be cleaned up. Game planning and play calling is a big one. Tackling and pursuit angles is another big one. Those are correctable but program-defining characteristics like culture, effort, and attitude are there. The culture was trash under Strong and in Mack's final years. This is a team that can still win out and make the CCG. We're not even three years removed from three straight 7 loss seasons, and it's as if fans don't realize how big of a rebuilding effort we're undergoing. You'd think we'd just lost 63-14 by the fan reaction.

This post was edited by TXEX14 3 months ago

• Put me in the group of people who think it’s absolutely absurd for there to be talk of Herman needing to be gone. He won 10 games last year and beat one of the best teams in the country in the Sugar Bowl. He’s recruiting lights out. We have two losses his year by 7 points a piece to 2 top 5 teams in the country. We lost to KANSAS just a few years ago. Have people forgotten the Charlie Strong fiasco already? I think there’s some overreaction going on today.

• Honesty, the worst part about losing is to have to endure this kind of retarded posts. We lost to a better team yesterday, but that doesn’t mean we need to rip everything apart and start over. Settle the ***** down already.

• Let the year play out for goodness sakes. Furthermore, some of you must have forgotten how far we came from Strongs loss to Kansas. I’m upset too but come on.

• I guess you forgot the games we won last year and in his first year almost best Ou with that team that had no offense. Come on man....
    as bad as the team looked, we lost by 7.

• TXEX14 said... (original post) Post less. You do realize that Herman didn't extend any contracts and most if not all have contracts expiring this year. That gives Herman the ...

Ingram has digressed and should be benched, just give the ball to RoJo. We need better safety play and Whittington would improve the position immediately upon his return, he played it in high school and knows how to tackle.

• I disagree with almost the entire post from the OP. Herman not being aggressive? Did you watch the LSU game where his aggression might’ve cost us the game? The only part that I agree with is that he needs to rely on the notebook less, sometimes the odds say go for it when you need to take the points. Texas just won 10 games last year and will this year too. Orlando IMO is a one trick pony and he’s not great at playing to the strength of the players. His in game adjustments can also be poor. His lack of spying Hurts with someone athletic enough to keep up with him was terrible. I’m also sick and tired of the bullsh*t 3 man front. We just can’t get enough pressure. Our game plans have to get better. Sam was sacked 9 times because it was 3rd and long then Ou just brought the house when we had to run longer routes. I truly feel the coaches lost us this game just as much as the players but I still think we see OU again

This post was edited by dmundy42 3 months ago

• Understand Herman would still be considered a young HC. You're comparing him to LSU. Another blue blood program that was left to Coach O by Les Miles. Coach Herman inherited Charlie Strongs mess. Look at Charlie at South Florida... Go ahead and give up, just don't let the door hit you on the way out. This team held the number one offense in the country to 34 points. I'll reiterate this again. I want to see this OU team again against a healthy Texas team. Coach Hand has a lot of teaching film for his OLine. I'm confident they'll make it right.

• Ohio_Longhorn said... (original post) Understand Herman would still be considered a young HC. You're comparing him to LSU. Another blue blood program that was left to Coach O ...

Agreed Ohio, truthfully my main worry isn’t the offensive line. My main worry is orlando’s ability to come up with a complete game plan, realistically without Cook’s hit and Hurts terrible pick to Jones, it’s probably a 21 or 28 to 0 game. We needed to get out of the 3 man front and didnt for way too long. The offensive play calling was horrible as well

This post was edited by dmundy42 3 months ago

• Herman is not young - Riley is young and is achieving at a higher rate

Who cares about the contract dollars? We always hear how Texas prints its own money - time to spend money and bring in the best coaches in the country - CDC and Herman needs to decide if Texas will return to national glory or accept the current path

• If the staff doesn't take yesterday as a wake up call and come up with some ways to put our players in positions that give us the best chance to win, and as a result, we don't win out and make it to the B12 Championship game, I'm certainly on board with making changes to the coaching staff. But in my mind, that doesn't include firing Herman. I am (even with all the debacle with Strong) of giving a coach enough time to fill their roster with their guys, make a few coaching changes as needed, and see what happens. Sure, I wish it would turn around in one season, but that's completely unrealistic.

I don't think people fully realized the dumpster fire Strong was having to try to rebuild from, and looking back now is the only way you can truly realize the rebuilding effort that Herman has had to deal with after Strong.

We've looked good in general over the last two seasons in the majority of games. Yes, yesterday was terrible and the score, in my opinion, is misleading as to how the game was actually played. But, our only two losses this year are to two top 5 teams, both of which may end up in the CFP.

We are better than every team we play the rest of the way in the regular season, so as I said, IMO, if we don't win the rest of our games and see OU again in the B12 championship, I do think there need to be some offseason coaching changes, but that, in my mind, definitely doesn't include changing the head coach at this time.

• We’ve been beat by LSU and OU - two playoff teams. Personally, I think both teams are top 3 teams in the country along with Ohio State. Yes, I think they would both beat Alabama and Clemson if they played today.

We’re not where we want to be yet, but to be calling for staff changes at this point is a bit heavy handed.

• Herman is a good coach. Stop all of this. He is very calculated with everything. Our two losses this year are by a combined 14 points to two projected playoff teams.

Yea we won some big games last year but that is what you get when you have 8 seniors playing on defense who are hungry.

Unless we get Urban or Dabo there is no other coach I would want who can recruit and coach like Herman. You need both.

I am all for looking to upgrade our DC position though.

• hornsrus said... (original post) Ingram has digressed and should be benched, just give the ball to RoJo. We need better safety play and Whittington would improve the position imme...

I agree that Rojo is clearly RB1, at least as a runner. He missed a lot of blocks yesterday that contributed to the 9 sacks.

I’m going to give Ingram the benefit of the doubt that his knee is still not right, and that he’ll win games for us this year. He’s shown me enough to warrant this level of faith

• hornsrus said... (original post) Ingram has digressed and should be benched, just give the ball to RoJo. We need better safety play and Whittington would improve the position imme...

Whittington will regress like the rest. Everyone one of them tackled better coming out of HS. And that’s on the coaches.

• dmundy42 said... (original post) Agreed Ohio, truthfully my main worry isn’t the offensive line. My main worry is orlando’s ability to come up with a complete game plan, realistic...

Tom needs to find Orlando a consultant to help him. And if I was given the task to find him some help. I would call Greg Robinson. Because, Orlando seems very, very slow to adjust.

• TexShoe said... (original post) Honesty, the worst part about losing is to have to endure this kind of retarded posts. We lost to a better team yesterday, but that doesn’t mean we ...

This!

• TexShoe said... (original post) I agree that Rojo is clearly RB1, at least as a runner. He missed a lot of blocks yesterday that contributed to the 9 sacks. I’m going to give Ingr...

He has a very hurt neck/shoulder.

He had 2 whole carries. One for 2 yards and one for 7.

I don’t understand people abandoning him because he had a 2 yard and 7 yard carry.

The running game didn’t work because: they were QB draws right into the Defense. The RB runs were working. It’s just we had two QB runs for -5 yards, a 2 yard carry by Ingram and two 1 yard gains by Johnson in the first 3 drives. -1 yards total. If we had just tried to establish the RB running game the output would have been different. Likely a total of 8 yards instead of -1. Running lanes against decent defenses don’t open up immediately. Throw in running vs the four failed screens which also added up to negative yards in the first 3 drives and run the ball and I think we would have added 17 yards total worst case scenario. A 26 yard swing. It could have changed the entire game.

Also we have to learn to have fake WR screen draw plays to the RB in addition to throwing to someone else on that play like a TE dropping out in a delay after the LB has bit on the WR screen.

So much could have been run to take advantage of how aggressively they were playing the WR screens.

• Yes, post less

• Lose a game to a good team who was healthier, better prepared, and has very good play calling to back it all up. Some people just lose their minds and go overboard to react off emotion, it’s really annoying honestly.

We all know we could win this game and I still think we can. But we are easily just as likely to lose - as they too are talented and it showed. It’s not a bad loss, we are still right where we want to be. Two competitive games with top 5 teams (if not top 3). Still very young defense and lots of injuries.

We now are soon to start hitting the easier back half of our schedule and have time to really get things going vs easier teams and hopefully can get healthy and build up confidence with a string of wins to end the season going into the big 12 championship as OU battles more at the end of the season.

The season is not over and the future is still brought. Calm tf down man.

This post was edited by cm1520 3 months ago

• Last I heard, football was a TEAM sport. Football players, coaches, trainers, ga's, s/c, analysts, equipment managers, etc...
    When you lose everyone loses and when you win everyone wins. Our offense did not play up to their standards, nor did our defense. Heck, special teams wasn't up to par either.
    You can blame a coach(es), a player(s), an offense, a defense, or special teams play. But that would show your ignorance or stupidity. I guarantee you there's not a person on this TEAM that would tell you they did the best they could do. I feel the frustration, anger, and impatience as much as anyone(those around me yesterday can attest to this).
    I will end this rant with a request. The next time you want to post something please take a moment and think about it first. I'm sure there are some great ideas posted, but most are mindless tribble.

• You must have a VERY short memory!

• JDS69 said... (original post) You must have a VERY short memory!

So you're saying football is an individual sport? Wow! Thanks for enlightening me.