ESPN outlines USC football's biggest question for 2021 season

ESPN outlines USC football's biggest question for 2021 season

• Discussion
  • To read this post and more, subscribe now - 50% off Annual VIP Pass first year

Become an Annual VIP member today and get access to VIP content, ad-free forums & more.

Commercial-free CBS All Access subscription now included.Now there are even more reasons to become a 247Sports VIP member. The CBS All Access commercial free plan (a $99.99 annual value) is also included with your 247Sports VIP membership at no extra charge and no hidden fees, giving even more value to your membership.

Enjoy all your favorite shows on demand along with exclusive access to your favorite 247Sports team site and experts. Stream over 10,000 episodes, All Access Originals, and live TV - including NFL on CBS and SEC Game of the Week!

Join
  • chrisntrevino said... (original post)As noted USC has plenty of experience coming back but will miss a potential first-round pick in Vera-Tucker. McGuire spent a total of 10 years ...

They are wrong. The biggest question is whether USC will embrace its past and its great football tradition--and dump Clay Helton; or will it continue to muddle through, pretending the problem doesn't exist, keep doing jerry-rigged cosmetic fixes, and play PC make-believe. All with Folt grinning like a clown. That is the only real question. The offensive line?? Look, if it wasn't them, it would be the running game, or whether the secondary will want to tackle more than dance; or whether Slovis is hurt, or whether we HAVE THE GREATEST PUNTER OF ALL TIME. espn neither knows nor cares anything about any team outside the SEC. The question is whether USC wants to strive for true excellence, or content with being "decent." Period.

• To read this post and more, subscribe now - 50% off Annual VIP Pass first year

Become an Annual VIP member today and get access to VIP content, ad-free forums & more.

Commercial-free CBS All Access subscription now included.Now there are even more reasons to become a 247Sports VIP member. The CBS All Access commercial free plan (a $99.99 annual value) is also included with your 247Sports VIP membership at no extra charge and no hidden fees, giving even more value to your membership.

Enjoy all your favorite shows on demand along with exclusive access to your favorite 247Sports team site and experts. Stream over 10,000 episodes, All Access Originals, and live TV - including NFL on CBS and SEC Game of the Week!

Join

Join

Join
  • PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)They are wrong. The biggest question is whether USC will embrace its past and its great football tradition--and dump Clay Helton; or will it ...

Nail+Head. And I might add, SC will be going on it's third season with Paul's opening question.

FIGHT ON!

Join

Join

Join
  • nitch19 said... (original post)Nail+Head. And I might add, SC will be going on it's third season with Paul's opening question.FIGHT ON!

You know what's really annoying, Nitch? It's the fact that USC COULD change things if they had the will. They have the resources, the boosters, and the tradition. They have all the weapons dozens of colleges would kill to have--and do nothing with them. They have one of the most storied histories of ANY team and university in the country----and the SC administration and BOT is squandering what may be their last great opportunity to turn the ship around. Cuz make no mistake, the window is closing.

Join

Join
  • USC starts off the 2021 season 1-3.

They beat San Jose State in the first quarter scoring 21 points. Through the rest of the game they only score 10.

Marcus Freeman and his defense DESTROY harrell and his offense 38-17.

BYU does the same thing they did last time they faced USC out physical them. It's a low scoring gamr 14 or 17-10 BYU.

ASU learns from last season and wins 28-14.

New year same results...

This post was edited by GusFring505 7 days ago

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)You know what's really annoying, Nitch? It's the fact that USC COULD change things if they had the will. They have the resources, t...

Yep. I know. It goes against all of what you'd expect. We just gotta hope that Bohn was told by Carol Burnett (after she reportedly turned down last year by the heavy hitter boosters willing to pay Helton's buy-out), to wait until this year because his buy-out and the new coach's buy-out (Fickell?) would be more palatable. When looking at what those numbers would be, it's not a simple decision. Or better be.

FIGHT ON!

• GusFring505 said... (original post)USC starts off the 2021 season 1-3.They beat San Jose State in the first quarter scoring 21 points. Through the rest of the game they only score ...

I dont agree. I think we get a lot wins off of an easy schedule. USC wont be a great team, but we play in weak league so that means we will a lot of games. Slovis is in his 3rd year in the system and Orlando's d will be much better second time around. Again, we won't be that great, but our league is weak enough to make us look good. I predicted that we would go 6-1 or or 5-2 this year and spot on. I did not know that helton would opt out of the bowl game.

we dont play oregon or wash or a team like bama. I think all 3 of them would beat usc. the rest of schedule does not scare me.
    San Jose State Spartans sc by 30

at Notre Dame Fighting Irish nd loses way too much, but they still beat us by 3 because it a home game for them

BYU Cougars they lose most of talent a a great qb. home game too. sc by 21

at Arizona State Sun Devils they lose a lot on d. pick em asu by 1.

at California Golden Bears they have no talent sc by 9

at Colorado Buffaloes they have no talent. sc by 7

Arizona Wildcats sc by 17

Oregon State Beavers sc by 21

Stanford Cardinal they look like a good team, but it is a home game. sc by 1

UCLA Bruins sc by 13

Utah Utes they never beat usc in LA. sc by 7

at Washington State Cougars they have no talent. sc by 14

then we play uw or oregon and lose by 14 in the champ game. then we play in bowl game, but it depends on who we face.

This post was edited by UPPERWESTSIDETROJAN 7 days ago

Join

Join
  • UPPERWESTSIDETROJAN said... (original post)I dont agree. I think we get a lot wins off of an easy schedule. USC wont be a great team, but we play in weak league so that means we w...

• Paul, we have had a pretty good record in a lot of years. But that does not mean that those were good teams. We happen to be a league with only a few decent teams in it. As you have pointed out many times, the pac 12 is not a talented league. Especially on the o and d lines. And even the good teams like oregon and uw are not juggernauts. We have a lot home games this year (7 out of 12)and then play some very weak teams on the road. Our toughest game will be at ND; at nd. ND lost a good deal of their team to graduation and to the nfl. They lost a great qb to the nfl. This is a rebuilding year for them. But they will beat us most likely. If we were in the sec or big 10 we would lose a lot more games. And teams like osu and bama would hammer us. But like 2020, we have a very weak schedule. You can have team with a good record, that is actually not that good of a team. You probably called me a fool last year when I said that we would lose only lose 1 game with our pathetic schedule. But I was right.

This is a football board. Why insult people? Why not just discuss it? Or if you dont want to talk about it, you dont need to respond. Posting some childish video to make fun of someone does nothing for you.

This post was edited by UPPERWESTSIDETROJAN 7 days ago

Join
  • UPPERWESTSIDETROJAN said... (original post)I dont agree. I think we get a lot wins off of an easy schedule. USC wont be a great team, but we play in weak league so that means we w...

Westside, I respect your take, but every new season there are people on here that either: can't see SC losing a regular season game, or losing one to maybe two games and have a 10 to 11 win regular season. Under Helton how many times has that happened? Once. 2017. But where they still lost to Washington State.

I'd argue, exactly because of the "Clay Helton Factor", the team loses at least one game, and I'd lean towards two, that they have NO business losing. My take is 8 wins is this program's ceiling this season. So I'm going with 7-5. And this nightmare finally ends either way.

FIGHT ON!

• nitch19 said... (original post)Westside, I respect your take, but every new season there are people on here that either: can't see SC losing a regular season game, or losing ...

I can see that too. Helton’s records are hard to predict. They are all over the map. There is some good or bad luck that can make you win or lose a few more games. The only reason I think the record will be pretty good this year is because the schedule is so bad. The only good team we play is ND. We don’t play a another bama type team in the non conference and we luckily avoid both uw and Oregon. We also somehow get lucky and play Stanford and Utah at home. BYU will be in a rebuilding year in 2021. They will not be good at all. They lost way too much. That is a home game as well. The pac 12 south is a mess so that is lucky too. In the sec or big ten I could see us going .500 or even under that mark. I could see us at anywhere from 5 and 7 to maybe 7-6 in those conferences depending on the schedule. But the pac 12 is different. We went 5-1 this year because the schedule was so bad. As bad as Helton is, I do think that the offense will be a little sharper with slovis coming into his 3rd year. I think also think the defense will be better with Orlando coming into his second year at usc. I see us with maybe 2 or 3 regular season losses and then probably losing the pac 12 champ game. Who knows if we win the the bowl game. With what i just said, it puts us at anywhere from 8-5 to 10-3. So I will say 9-4 unless we get a rash of injuries.

This post was edited by UPPERWESTSIDETROJAN 6 days ago

• UPPERWESTSIDETROJAN said... (original post)I can see that too. Helton’s records are hard to predict. They are all over the map. There is some good or bad luck that can make wins o...

Yes, well injuries are always the "X"-factor. And yes, Helton's records are hard to predict. But not really. The lack of discipline, lack of adjustments, SOFT and "loose-ship" that describes his program and control over it, is not hard to predict. Hence, the close games that shouldn't be, the barely winning against teams that shouldn't be close, and the losses to programs they have no business losing to. Not to mention, getting their socks blown off in the games against the programs that are pretty good to good and physical. All hallmarks of Helton's tenure. Which all leads to underachieving and not fulfilling potential.

Last season didn't fool me. SC is not turning the corner with Clay Helton at the helm. Two extremely lucky, to fluke wins to start, one against a vastly inferior program. All the rest just had circumstances that made each win feel unsatisfying, as usual. Before, a typical favored Helton, at home, getting beat soundly by an inexperienced and down Oregon squad.

Yes, agreed, the Pac12, and particularly the South are a mess. But where currently, SC is part of the problem. Let me ask, what record do you think keeps Helton for 2022?

FIGHT ON!

This post was edited by nitch19 6 days ago

• 10 wins or more and Helton stays. And the nightmare continues.

Join