Ohio State scored with 18 seconds to go...

Ohio State scored with 18 seconds to go...

Arrow3
  • I believe you put your 2nd or 3rd string in and have them play hard in the 4th quarter even with a big lead.

There is that proverbial breaking point time however where you do call the dogs off. When you are at a point to where it appears you are in a hurry and passing the ball to just put up more points before the clock strikes zero. Then that's a bad look. That displays poor sportsmanship. It reflects poorly on the head coach. It teaches a bad lesson to his kids to try to humiliate your opponents when they are already crushed. It leaves bad blood between the 2 teams going forward. It creates a bad name for the coach who allowed it among his colleagues. As well as the word eventually getting out to the College Football Playoff committee voters that your team purposely ran up a score on a team that you already had a solid victory over. In the end I believe Polls and Committe voters don't really reward a school for scoring an extra
    garbage time TD.

Not to mention that team will eventually get its payback somewhere down the line.

• gfz444 said... (original post)False. Also, PC's teams routinely went for it on 4th down while up big.

they would do that just to keep playing and not embarrass the other team by adding 3 worthless points. they would not kick field goals and try to just add points. pc literally never passed the ball when up big. he would even run the ball on like 3rd and 20. pc never ran up the score. he would always kneel on the ball when the game close to ending as well. by the way, I am talking about late in games when you can take a knee and run out the clock. I am not about the 3rd or 4th q when teams are up big and playing their subs. I still dont think you should run tricks plays or throw bombs, but it fine to run your offense. but there is never a need to embarrass a team that you have already beaten. I am talking more about really late in the game. ryan day scored again when there no need. the game was over, but he wanted more points. then he lied and said that he could not stop his team from scoring because of the personnel.

• UPPERWESTSIDETROJAN said... (original post)they would do that just to keep playing and not embarrass the other team by adding 3 worthless points. they would not kick field goals a...

This was a very easy Google search. This includes only your definition. It excludes many times going for it on 4th when up huge, fake punts, trick plays, etc.

For the record, I don't have a problem with any of these examples. I think the coach needs to make the right decisions for his own team. There is context surrounding every game and situation. It doesn't always have to do with sportsmanship or "classy". But, since you climbed on the high horse:

In 2005:

Up 56-17 with 10 seconds left against Hawaii, 4th and 12 at HAW 29 Desmond Reed rush for 29 yards for a TOUCHDOWN. 62 17 Mario Danelo extra point GOOD.

In 2008:

Up 62-0 with 2:20 left against Washington State, 4th and Goal at WSU 4 C.J. Gable rush for 4 yards for a TOUCHDOWN

In 2009:

Up 49-3 with under 5:00 left against San Jose State, 4th and Goal at SJSU 13 Aaron Corp pass complete to D.J. Shoemate for 13 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.

In response to "pc literally never passed the ball when up big."

In 2003:

Up 38-14 with under 10:00 left against Notre Dame, 4th and 7 at ND 30 Matt Leinart (USC) pass right side complete to Mike Williams (USC) for 9 yards.

Up 45-14 with under 4:00 left against Notre Dame, 4th and 4 at ND 19 John David Booty (USC) pass left side complete to David Kirtman (USC) for 5 yards.

In 2004:

Up 31-0 with 10:41 left against Washington, 4th and 6 at WASH 30 Matt Leinart (USC) pass incomplete to the right side.; turnover on downs.

Up 31-0 with 7:10 left against Washington, 4th and 17 at WASH 35 Matt Cassel (USC) pass right side complete to Desmond Reed (USC) for 2 yards; turnover on downs.

In 2005:

Up 49-10 with under 13:00 left against Hawaii, 4th and Goal at HAW 2 John D Booty pass complete to Dwayne Jarrett for 2 yards for a TOUCHDOWN. 55 10 Mario Danelo extra point GOOD.

Up 63-17 with 7:56 left against Arkansas, 4th and 8 at ARK 17 John Booty pass incomplete

Up 44-17 with 8:00 left against Washington, 4th and 8 at WASH 28 John Booty pass intercepted by Dashon Goldson at the Wash 25, returned for 75 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.

Up 44-14 with 10:38 left against Stanford, 4th and Goal at STAN 4 John Booty pass incomplete.

Up 44-14 with 7:00 left against Stanford, 4th and 4 at STAN 16 John Booty pass complete to Patrick Turner for 8 yards to the Stanf 8 for a 1ST down.

In 2006:

Up 44-14 with under 2:00 left against Arkansas, 4th and 4 at ARK 20 Mark Sanchez pass complete to Travon Patterson for 19 yards to the Ark 1 for a 1ST down

In 2008:

Up 35-3 with 10:08 left against Ohio State, 4th and 3 at OSU 16 Mark Sanchez sacked by Marcus Freeman for a loss of 11 yards to the OhSt 27.

Up 37-10 with 4:00 left against, 4th and 2 at ORE 16 Mitch Mustain pass incomplete.

Up 49-0 with under 10:00 left against Washington, 4th and 2 at WASH 30 Mitch Mustain pass complete to Rhett Ellison for 21 yards to the Wash 9 for a 1ST down.

Up 38-3 with under 5:00 left against Notre Dame, 4th and 14 at ND 27 Mitch Mustain pass intercepted by Gary Gray at the NDame 6, returned for 24 yards to the NDame 30.

This post was edited by gfz444 27 days ago

• gfz444 said... (original post)This was a very easy Google search. This includes only your definition. It excludes many times going for it on 4th when up huge, fake punts, trick pl...

And here is an easy response. Impressive that you looked this stuff up. But your stats need context too. 2005- pc probably thought he was just giving desmond reed a short carry to give him some playing time after the devastating injuries that he had. He probably did not think that reed would score on a simple run play with the 2nd/3rd string ol from 30 yards out. 2008- there was no way to run out the clock as there was too much time left. so pc called a basic running play. 2009- Again there was 5 minutes left and now way to run out the clock. But I don't think he should have passed the ball. All things being equal, I would that it would be the wrong thing to do. I dont what happened with that. The other too I dont mind.

Also in some of the games you mentioned about him passing the ball late, we were way ahead, but the game was not out of reach. And maybe he passed the ball that once in awhile with 4 to 11 minutes to go in the game, but he was not close to running his full offense. he was not throwing bombs. There were also times when carroll was a little childish himself. If another coach upset him or came at him in some way or was unethical, he would retaliate. It happened with harbaugh, belotti, neuheisel and possibly others in some of these games. Also, maybe I misspoke. I did not mean that it never happened that carroll passed the ball when we up big in the ball game. But he did run run the ball almost all the time. He would put the second string or 3rd string qb and they would simply hand the ball off. Don't you remember this. We still rarely passed the ball when we were way ahead. But if carroll did score late when he could have run out the clock, I would still disagree with it. I just think a citing a few plays out of hundreds. soe fo them may have context lie you said yourself.

Go ahead rewatch all the carroll usc games and you will see the guy hardly ever ran up the score. They were almost always taking a knee at the end of games. But if PC was running up the the score, I would say he did the wrong thing. And yes, I was wrong for making a huge blanket statement as you proved that he did pass the ball occasionally when we were up big. But overall, I think it was pretty rare as we were up big constantly and we did not pass the ball during those times very much.

Regardless, I do not believe that you should ever run up the score. Sorry, I my principles.

This post was edited by UPPERWESTSIDETROJAN 27 days ago

• UPPERWESTSIDETROJAN said... (original post)And here is an easy response. Impressive that you looked this stuff up. But your stats need context too. 2005- pc probably thought he wa...

Lots of good excuses/rationalizations here. Remember, I’m not the one who has a problem with this behavior, you are. Unless it’s done by USC/ Pete Carroll. I’m sure Ryan Day had his reasons too, but I guess they’re not important.

Even in the face of evidence, I guess there’s no convincing some people.

This post was edited by gfz444 27 days ago

• gfz444 said... (original post)Lots of good excuses/rationalizations here. Remember, I’m not the one who has a problem with this behavior, you are. Unless it’s done by USC/ Pete Ca...

that is exactly what I would say about you. i agree that I should not have a made a blanket statement that pete never passed the ball late in games. but pete was also not a guy who ran up the score. dont you remember usc constantly running the ball late in the 3rd and throughout 4th q when we were up big. i can prove that you if want as well. that is not point anyway. this not about caroll. this about taking a knee when you can run out the clock to zero. ryan day ran up the score when he could have taken a knee and then tried to make up some crazy excuse as to why he did it. he admitted that it was wrong, but tried to cover himself with a lame excuse. first off, I dont like coaches who do that. second, he should have just owned up to it. you can private message me and we can talk about this this, if you like. sorry, but i believe in sportsmanship at all times.

• phearSC said... (original post)I think once you’ve got your second and third stringers in the game you’re allowed to run the offense - especially in a year like this one.

It isn't the Offense's duty to keep the score down, it's

the responsibility of the other team's D.

Remember Pete's last minute 2009 TD against the bruins after they called a timeout?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4VXjyDnYs4

• shortyUSC said... (original post)It isn't the Offense's duty to keep the score down, it'sthe responsibility of the other team's D. Remember Pete's last mi...

I was kind of ok with that because as tricky ricky would not let pete run out the clock. So pete decided to run the offense and score. PC wanted to be cool and run out the clock. But Rick Neuheisel would not go quietly into the night.

• UPPERWESTSIDETROJAN said... (original post)I was kind of ok with that because as tricky ricky would not let pete run out the clock. So pete decided to run the offense and score. P...

It was a thing of beauty.

Lesson Learned Rick?

• shortyUSC said... (original post)It isn't the Offense's duty to keep the score down, it'sthe responsibility of the other team's D. Remember Pete's last mi...

Read the asst bruin coach's lips at 1:44.. So sweet