And the winner is . . . USC 2004, by a hair

And the winner is . . . USC 2004, by a hair

• To read this post and more, subscribe now - One Month for Only $1

Become an Annual VIP member today and get access to VIP content, ad-free forums & more.

Join
  • harvest1 said... (original post)Two very good teams. '72 was just simply better, but McKay out coaches Pete. McKay didn't make mistakes or call risky plays as Pete did. ...

There were too many injuries on defense against texas ( I will not capitalize that name). That's why they didn't have any outside contain. They had freshman LBs and 3rd string DBs in that game.

Become an Annual VIP member today and get access to VIP content, ad-free forums & more.

Join
  • harvest1-

"Pete would stay stubborn at times couldn't or wouldn't contain the edge, think Texas."

Not buyin' what you're sellin'.

Let's ignore the fact that there was a generational talent at QB who was one of the most dangerous dual threats ever and snickered at any defense trying to maintain contain.
    invinceable.1.jpg

This post was edited by BlackLeftLeft 4 months ago

Join
  • I never really broke down that game and watched purely as a fan/alumn. I don't remember as many specifics as I figured I would. It was Vince's time though. He was just running all over the place and even trailing in the 4th I think he thought be was going to win that game and he did. The size, speed, swagger combo was too much. I thought that Bush lateral screwed up the momentum and going up 14- 0 would have changed the vibe of the game. I really had a bad feeling after that play.

This post was edited by BlackLeftLeft 4 months ago

• BlackLeftLeft said... (original post)I never really broke down that game and watched purely as a fan/alumn. I don't remember as many specifics as I figured I would. It was Vi...

the bigger mystery is why did Reggie try to lateral to walk on Brad Walker, let alone why is a Brad Walker on the field on the biggest stage in college football.

I also think if the Lofa Tatupu returned for his senior year, the defense keeps Vince Young in check. Young still scores and runs but not as damaging.

• No, 1972. Before the 1972 game, color man (and ND alum and Heisman winner Paul Hornung) commented that ND would need a lot of breaks just to stay with USC, a team he called "one of the great all-time teams." Compare that analysis to many of the analysts' comments before the Oklahoma game. Frankly, we did not inspire that sort of awe by the opponent, and for good reason. And we also beat better teams by better margins. Finally, again, the only way to even approach an answer to the question is to hypothetically have them play each other, and, as I have said, the 72 team would win with every type of college rules, right up until they started making rules that favored the offense and protecting the QB. In other words, if we stipulate that college football began in 1900 (just for discussion's sake), the 72 team beats the 04 team with every year's worth of rules right up to when the rules changed, say, 1995 or so. So the 04 team would win the hth matchup if the rules came from 1995 forward.

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)No, 1972. Before the 1972 game, color man (and ND alum and Heisman winner Paul Hornung) commented that ND would need a lot of breaks just to ...

Did they have one lineman that weighed more than 275 lbs?

• westcoastfball said... (original post)Did they have one lineman that weighed more than 275 lbs?

You mean like Damian Mama? lol Not sure, but I think McKay sort of insisted the linemen be able to run....I probably miss their attitude more than anything.

Another way to pose the same question: "Which team would modern NON-SC coaches LEAST like to play??

Join

Join
  • BS the 72 team could have beat a few of the pro teams that year.

Join

Join

Join