BREAKING: Clay Helton to remain USC head coach

BREAKING: Clay Helton to remain USC head coach

Arrow27
  • I think I'm still in shock. I can't quite believe we've kept Gomer. When he said drive it like you stole it he definitely meant it. He has stolen the Ferrari but has no clue how to operate a stick.

• mikeym820 said... (original post)

Tua is not a high draft NFL quarterback. Look at his long telegraphed throwing motion. And not tall either.

If Saban had stuck with Jalen Hurts, and Tua had transferred to USC?

Well, we probably needed Alabamas whole offensive line too.

...and their DB's.
    ...and skill players.

Ah, forget it, their whole roster are top 5 guys at their position.

• TexasTrojan56 said... (original post)

...and their DB's.

...and skill players.

....and they pay Saban $12m all of which probably paid for by sweatshirt sales across the state by fans who can’t spell Tuscaloosa let alone went there
    ...and he yells at his players demanding discipline and his assistants before they develop and leave to be top head coaches at Clemson, Georgia
    ....and his team is rarely gets penalized because the players know they will sit

Yada, Yada. USC is looking at this backasswards. They should be demanding excellence and spending more money to right the ship knowing it will pay off in the near and long term

...and their DB's.

...and skill players.

If Tua came to USC he'd be sitting behind JT because JT is the love of Helton's life.

• And, yet, we wouldn't trade places with you for all of the dirty money in LA.

• AbdulMasiih said... (original post)

And, yet, we wouldn't trade places with you for all of the dirty money in LA.

Go jerk your pops off

• sing4doe said... (original post)

He better hire a new staff or it will be a long year.

It may have been a condition

• mikeym820 said... (original post)

Tua is not a high draft NFL quarterback. Look at his long telegraphed throwing motion. And not tall either.

Right?
    Look where he is playing
    Which is REALLY the point....

This post was edited by TroyKiddv2 1 year ago

• USCTraveler80 said... (original post)

And why was Helton's buyout so high ? Was it from all of the offers SEC schools were making to have him become their head coach last December ?

Oh yeah- there was no reason to extend him. He had no leverage and no other options. Swann is a clown just like Clueless is.

• 89 til Infinity said... (original post)

Remember when you said Sears > Tua?

That take hasn’t aged well. Tua will go down as one of the greatest college QBs of all-time.

We need Sears to be given a shot to know for sure!! Sears could be just as good that’s the sad part. His first start he did really well. He went into that game without a single college snap and settled right in and had probably one of the best QB games of the year. Wish we could find out what he could do here. If he played like Darnold 2.0 I would be happy

• kickabruin said... (original post)

I believe the notable differences is in the trenches. As I recall, even during ND's struggles, they still had plenty of talent on the lines both on D and the OL. That is not the issue here. Even with 3 seniors on the OL it was SC's biggest weakness and will continue to be as long as Helton is coach. He doesn't have the coaching ability to fix it. ND has remained consistent in recruiting AND COACHING top level talent on the lines. BTW, Kelly should have been fired for what happened to that poor kid in that scissor lift, but that's another story.

That's part of it.

The other part of it is that even in the years where the team was winning, all of Helton's hallmarks were there- bad schemes, bad playcalling, lack of discipline, lack of toughness, tons of penalties, etc. It's just that Sam was an amazing talent who, along with other huge talents like Adoree and Juju, Rasheem, Nwosu, etc, were able to carry the team to wins vs most of the competition despite the softness and sloppiness found in all aspects of the program.

Kelly's teams otoh were disciplined and well-coached in the years where ND did well. ND got embarrassed against Bama due to a talent disadvantage. But Kelly coached the team well that year. Prior to this season, USC got embarrassed when matched up against teams with equal talent not because of a talent disadvantage, but because of inferior coaching, which was plain for all to see.

Plain to everyone except clowns like Haden, Nikias and Swann that is. What a joke.

• 06Trojan said... (original post)

....and they pay Saban $12m all of which probably paid for by sweatshirt sales across the state by fans who can’t spell Tuscaloosa let alone went there

...and he yells at his players demanding discipline and his assistants before they develop and leave to be top head coaches at Clemson, Georgia

....and his team is rarely gets penalized because the players know they will sit

Yada, Yada. USC is looking at this backasswards. They should be demanding excellence and spending more money to right the ship knowing it will pay off in the near and long term

This.

• 06Trojan said... (original post)

Ah, yes, the tired old trope of the ignorant Alabama fan. I realize it's coming from a place of frustration but it's ridiculous. Yes, the folks I refer to as dirt-road alumni (as opposed to sidewalk) are responsible for a lot of what funds the athletic department. One, we don't have pro sports teams in the state so instead of supporting the Raiders/Rams/Chargers they have Alabama. But it goes deeper. Back when Wallace was embarrassing the state, Coach Bryant gave these folks something to be proud of and the whole family made Alabama their team. High school football is such a religion in small towns you could probably rob half the town on a Friday night. So those folks sacrificed so the next generation could attend the University. How about not holding onto tired old stereotypes to explain your own deficiencies? I've attended games across the country so I know it's bullshit. Our fans are better dressed and more polite in the SEC. The poor Domers were stunned at the 2012 BCS game by the fanbase. Trust me, I dated a girl that was on your early soccer teams and went back out with her a decade later. Your contempt is stupid and bears a resemblance to the racism of some of the dinosaurs here.

There's a reason most of your aerospace industry is leaving (Rocketdyne and ULA being recent examples) and it's not because the workforce is stupid.

Here's a lesson for your administration related to licensed gear: out-of-state sales are growing so rapidly it may eventually outstrip in-state income. And the biggest markets are in California, New York, and New Jersey. Applications are following the trend. The success of the program is building the value of the brand way beyond any expectations. So that's why I think your leadership is being short-sighted.

In the meantime, stop insulting the parents and grandparents. I was lucky enough to not fall in that category but there are still plenty of folks that were the first generation to go to college.

• Nice to have Coach Helton back!

Fight On!

• You don't watch much College football if you think they have that much talent. Not sure any current USC player could beat out Alabama's second team.

You don't watch much College football if you think they have that much talent. Not sure any current USC player could beat out Alabama's second team.

Stop .. just stop. Helton would turn that Bama team into a bunch of un drafted free agents.

• He got rid of Wilcox who beat his butt in LA with a solid defense the second half. So much for that whipping boy excuse being wrong. Many USC fans bought into that false narrative. Obviously it was not his fault long term. Its more a leadership issues at the very top. Any fan in the PAC 12 knows the real problem and the moderators on this board say he is not tough and they practice soft. Abraham did a video saying it was time for him to go and not bring in anyone with ties to USC. They need someone with fire like Danny Gonzales our new DC at at ASU. Its all good for us since they will under perform relative to their potential as long as Clay is there following in the tradition of Lane and Sark.

This post was edited by sundevil76 1 year ago

...and their DB's.

...and skill players.

The reality is Saban could take USC players and win the Natty. Its your feaking coaches pure and simple.

• sundevil76 said... (original post)

The reality is Saban could take USC players and win the Natty. Its your feaking coaches pure and simple.

Truth.

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)

Who can argue with that evidence? OK, I need to see proof of your law degree.

Not a law-based argument. People thought the sky was falling at least twice before. It didn't happen. "Past results are no guarantee of future performance," but it would seem the best indicator there is. Especially when we sucked for an entire decade, twice.

• TroyJD said... (original post)

Not a law-based argument. People thought the sky was falling at least twice before. It didn't happen. "Past results are no guarantee of future performance," but it would seem the best indicator there is. Especially when we sucked for an entire decade, twice.

Lol

• To read this post and more, subscribe now - One Month for Only $1

Become an Annual VIP member today and get access to VIP content, ad-free forums & more.

Join

Become an Annual VIP member today and get access to VIP content, ad-free forums & more.

Join

Join

Join