Bruce Feldman doubling down on Clay Helton staying

Bruce Feldman doubling down on Clay Helton staying

• Two or 1 and a 1/2 if you want to get technical.

AP existed long before BCS so saying ONE is a lie.

You must be an angry LSU fan.

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post) Know your history. Carroll was NOT Garrett's first choice. So yes, no credit for Garrett except blind luck. If Garrett had gotten his m...

I know he wasn't Garrett's first choice. But he hired him nonetheless, which most fans (who include, I'm guessing, also you?) were angry about.

• CalSCBrown76 said... (original post) Honestly though Pat we all know that Pete was given the opportunity to leave just like Swann did. Pete knew about the cheating and didnt want ...

Pete is now the highest paid coach in all football(ncaa and NFL)

• dinahtab said... (original post) Garret "lucked into PC"? Just can't give credit where it's due, can you? garret into Pete.

Darrell Gross talked Mike into hiring Pete

This post was edited by sc69er 16 days ago

• UPPERWESTSIDETROJAN said... (original post) pc won 2 nattys plus sc had the best team in the land in 2008. probably one of the best and most talented defenses in history that yr. ...

The 2008 team finished 5th in the Harris poll and tied for 4th in the coaches poll prior to the bowls. The media had grown weary of USC's conference losses to unranked opponents. Herbstreit predicted the Oregon St. loss simply because it had become a pattern. After that loss, SC didn't have any high-ranked teams left on its schedule. Can't blame Larry Scott for that. Texas had a stronger argument to be in the BCS Championship game than SC did. It's unclear what might have happened with a playoff scenario. USC possibly would have had to face Oklahoma followed by Florida.

• UPPERWESTSIDETROJAN said... (original post) That article is not entirely true. Garrett originally wanted belotti and erickson. Maybe riley was in the the mix with them as top choi...

I didn't read the article, but your description of our bumbling, Keystone-Kops search for a coach in 2000-2001 is spot on. Nobody wanted the job and Garrett basically refused to entertain the thought of Carroll until there was no other choice. (If not for Daryl Gross pushing for him, Pete probably would have given up, too). IMO, Garrett was a poor AD - history has shown that being an AD requires training and experience, not just taking someone with a big name and putting him behind the desk. Haden was a flop, too, even though he was a successful lawyer.

• It was a season of improvement with Slovis. With lots of adversity and still a big win over Utah. Lots of positives going into next year.

Like him or not, it sure has people wondering how good USC football will be next year.

And though people like thinking we are uber talented, what we saw was a spunky defense often fighting for it's life, and an offense with 2nd string Qb, 4th string RB, shocking people with huge plays.

• TexasTrojan56 said... (original post) It was a season of improvement with Slovis. With lots of adversity and still a big win over Utah. Lots of positives going into next year.Like ...

Still promoting that story. All bullshyt but whatever makes you feel good. If 2019 was year 1 of Gomer I’d possibly be more open minded. It’s not. He’s had years to establish a PROGRAM of competition and excellence and what we see game after game is mediocrity and mismanagement. Sell your story to the other Helton promoters who don’t know the first thing about football.

• dinahtab said... (original post) I know he wasn't Garrett's first choice. But he hired him nonetheless, which most fans (who include, I'm guessing, also you?) were ...

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then. My only point was that it was hardly skill on Garrett's part. I was totally an agnostic about the hire.

• Why rewrite history. Holy crap, in the book many of you want to write, nobody hired anybody. Garrett is the AD on record that hired pete. And with that move, USC had a great run.

• Slovis sets an all-time record in passing yards in his first game against our hated rivals, yet did not receive the game ball? Perhaps another player was equally deserving? Pittman playing in his last home game, a true Trojan, against our hated rival was a man against boys, dominating the competition, yet he too was deemed not worthy of the game ball??? If Helton was truly a leader of the young men he loves like his own sons, he would have done the right thing and live by his hollow words. Instead you judge a man by his actions, as he will always show you what he is made of rather than what he says he is made of. In this instance, his true colors have shown through, he is far more interested in self-preservation and ****-kissing. Has any AD and President ever been given a game ball in the history of college football? I don’t know but I doubt it. Does that action inspire the troops to follow a man of such character?? I doubt that too. Do the honorable thing Clay, just move on.

This post was edited by TrojanZeke 16 days ago

• Bill Maher said... (original post) The 2008 team finished 5th in the Harris poll and tied for 4th in the coaches poll prior to the bowls. The media had grown weary of USC's c...

Osu was not an unranked opponent. They finished 18th and 19th in the final polls. your rank at the time of the game has no bearing on how good you really are. SC started one yr as a preseaon no 1, but finished un ranked. So no team can claim that they beat a no. 1 team when they played usc that yr. Even through osu was not ranked at the time, they were a good team. And that game was on the the road far from usc. Those games are always tough. Florida lost their one game at home, not on the road. By the end of the year, usc was the best team in the nation. Ask vegas. Texas and okla and fl were good. But by the end of the year, usc had possibly the best defense in the history of college football. Nobody had grown weary about anything about usc football. USC was feared. Vegas always loved sc. Vegas always felt usc was the team most likely to win any game game anywhere. But there was no playoff and the bcs formula made the pick. Question, who do you think was the best team at the end of 2008?

• jpltrojan1 said... (original post) Still promoting that story. All bullshyt but whatever makes you feel good. If 2019 was year 1 of Gomer I’d possibly be more open minded. It’s no...

NCAA is investigating the team here for "excessive contact" and "overly athletic " practices during the season.

Yet delusional fans criticize the team for not hitting more?

It is an NCAA infraction. But they continue that BS excuse everytime somebody misses a tackle.

But is it BS, or just fans desperate to win every game like Clemson?
  • TrojanZeke said... (original post) Slovis sets an all-time record in passing yards in his first game against our hated rivals, yet did not receive the game ball? Perhaps another p...

Fantastic post.

• UPPERWESTSIDETROJAN said... (original post) Question, who do you think was the best team at the end of 2008?

Do you mean after the bowls? I would say USC and Florida were the best teams. But USC was not impressive in its last regular-season game against a four-win UCLA team. SC needed style points against UCLA because Oklahoma was racking up 60 a game, but there were only 7 points of scoring in the whole second half of the UCLA game. SC looked like a juggernaut against the best teams it played -- Ohio St. (who lost to Texas in the Fiesta Bowl) and Penn St. -- but not so hot against Oregon St., unranked Arizona and UCLA.

My original point was that USC, despite being a great team, was not the victim of a flawed system in 2008 like it was in 2003. When Texas lost at Texas Tech, on a Harrell to Crabtree TD that left one second on the clock, it was the Longhorns' fourth straight game against a ranked opponent, a stretch that began with a win over #1 Oklahoma. By contrast, when USC lost at Oregon St., it was after a bye week. Oregon St. was unranked and had been trounced by Penn St. two games earlier. Then the Beavers lost their next game after beating SC. The loss was to a really good Utah team, but the Beavers started the season 2-3 and didn't crack the Top 25 until November. The coaches had them ranked only 24 prior to the bowls. USC was a great team without a great argument for being in the BCS Championship game. And with perception being a factor, it didn't help that they were one year removed from that embarrassing Stanford loss and two seasons removed from 13-9.

• DeMatDeTes said... (original post) He also went to ONE Championship game...all that talent.

Pete Carroll went to 1 championship game? Must be talking about a different PC if your saying that
  • GusFring505 said... (original post) USC ain't scoring 21.They won't even have 21 yards rushing...

For the first time in a great while, I have to agree with Gus on this one. If CCH stays, USC gets 10 at the most with 7 coming in the last 4 minutes of garbage time.

• UPPERWESTSIDETROJAN said... (original post) That article is not entirely true. Garrett originally wanted belotti and erickson. Maybe riley was in the the mix with them as top choi...

Dont forget that Saban's agent turned down the SC job before even telling him about it.

This post was edited by lafromla1 11 days ago

• UPPERWESTSIDETROJAN said... (original post) Osu was not an unranked opponent. They finished 18th and 19th in the final polls. your rank at the time of the game has no bearing on h...

While I was enraged at the time, there was no shame in losing to that Oregon State team up there, They were a good team w/Jacquizz & had a good game plan for their talent + the weather. We still almost came from behind to win the damn thing after that disastrous first half, The Beavers found their mojo as the season went on.

Other great USC teams have had major troubles in Corvallis—the ‘67 title team suffered its only defeat there & got shut out (!) in the process & the ‘04 title team had a rough time in the fog before prevailing.

This post was edited by troy4300 12 days ago

• troy4300 said... (original post) While I was enraged at the time, there was no shame in losing to that Oregon State team up there, They were a good team w/Jacquizz & had a goo...

wasn't the weather that prevented our guys from tackling quizz . . . we couldn't find him!

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post) wasn't the weather that prevented our guys from tackling quizz . . . we couldn't find him!

He was one tough little half-a-mother$&*@*+

• Bill Maher said... (original post) But USC was not impressive in its last regular-season game against a four-win UCLA team. SC needed style points against UCLA because Oklahoma wa...

huh? The Trojans rolled up 33 first downs and 478 yards of total offense while the Bruins had just seven first downs and gained only 159 yards against the national leader in total defense and scoring defense.

You appear to be severely afflicted with recency bias by attributing USC's occasional blip in previous seasons to unranked opponents, but completely disregard Florida's far worse problem in that area. Look no further than their '07 schedule. in which they suffered 4 losses and got whacked by 4 loss Michigan in their bowl game - all while while being ranked #9.

When you lose at home to a 2 loss Ole Miss, versus on the road, that has to be the tiebreaking variable....especially when your OOC schedule has The Citadel and Hawaii on it. Instead, the college football beauty pageant continued, and unsurprisingly - the SEC was awarded the tiara. Again.

This post was edited by brdcstr1 12 days ago

• brdcstr1 said... (original post) huh? The Trojans rolled up 33 first downs and 478 yards of total offense while the Bruins had just seven first downs and gained only 159 yards aga...

As I mentioned, Oklahoma was racking up 60 points a game on opponents during the second half of the season. Florida beat #1 Alabama. Do you think any voter took a look at how many first downs SC had against 4-7 UCLA when determining where to rank the Trojans?

I might take your points about 2007 Florida, but why do you say they got whacked by Michigan? Florida led in the fourth quarter at one point. It was Lloyd Carr's last game. And to refer to 13-9 and a loss to a 41-point underdog as blips is really understating things. Both losses shook the college football landscape. I don't even know why SC fans cry about Florida '08 and the SEC. Oklahoma is the team that should not have played for championships both in '03 and '08.

Back to SC looking unimpressive against Pac-10 opponents, they actually dropped from #1, after a win, coming into the '07 Stanford game and dropped in '08 after the Arizona win.

As good as the '08 SC team was, national championships in '06 and '07 were more feasible. The UCLA and Stanford losses were unfathomable.

• sc69er said... (original post) Pete is now the highest paid coach in all football(ncaa and NFL)

I believe Bill Belichick is paid more than PC.

• nitch19 said... (original post) This."We finally played a fullgame against the worst pac-12 team in Cal in two seasons." And against their not-very-good backup QB for mo...

And why was the "not very good back up" not in there most of the game? Oh yeah, our freshman DE DJ pounded the crap out of Gabers knocking him out of the game. I also encourage you to review https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/california/index.html. Your statement about "the worst pac-12 in Cal in two seasons" is a lie. This year was Cal's best season since 2015 and only their second winning season since 2009.