College coaching carousel 2019: Truth, rumors, intrigue

• Discussion
  • Urban Meyer to Texas.

• Clay Helton is a lame duck and has to go, fan and recruit apathy will be at an all time high next season if they keep him. Urban to USC!

• That's all CLUELESS CLAY is . A JAG,a nice guy. but an horrible coach ,SC is now where u come in as a 5* and leave a 3* ..there's a serious Lack of development for the athletes during their time there.,however SC is still a sleeping Giant,with the right coach or should I say experience coach.which Clueless clay had none hence the empty coaches to contact rolodex jokes ,he knows no one, and no one wants to work with or for him. Especially Knowing they can be fired the following yr. or within season because of his horrific leadership, constant game mismanagement, and lack of team discipline. SC HC job is not a OJT position, in which clay was handed because Haden and Swann were just Lazy asses, there excuse is he was the adult in the room Lol..compared to Sarkisian cheers! That was the wrong reason,and now we suffer the consequences because of the ineptitude of the admin.frpt.

This post was edited by Trojanfolife11X 13 days ago

• That will be the day.....the Texas coach isn't going anywhere.

• To read this post and more, subscribe now - One Month for Only $1

Become an Annual VIP member today and get access to VIP content, ad-free forums & more.

Join
  • I think all SC fans forget that Clay’s Trojans destroyed Urban’s Buckeyes in a bowl game so why would we ever want urban????

-asking for a friend btw

• It was the other way around. Urban destroyed Clay.

• BohicaGoons said... (original post) I think all SC fans forget that Clay’s Trojans destroyed Urban’s Buckeyes in a bowl game so why would we ever want urban???? -asking for a frie...

user generated

• USC needs to sit tight, Helton hasn't had the support from the USC leadership (or lack thereof) to be fairly evaluated and USC has already ran off a good coach once in coach O. Bohn is a good AD and he will get Helton what he needs.

• Goldrusher35 said... (original post) USC needs to sit tight, Helton hasn't had the support from the USC leadership (or lack thereof) to be fairly evaluated and USC has alread...

Helton is a crap coach that needs a ride out of town.

• Goldrusher35 said... (original post) USC needs to sit tight, Helton hasn't had the support from the USC leadership (or lack thereof) to be fairly evaluated and USC has already ran ...

Helton has had all the support he could have wanted. Problem is he fought to keep baxter and clancy, he promised to shore up the penalties and somehow we are worse than last year. He keeps promising to set his jaw, review the tape and make the changes to fix what is clearly broken, but comes up miles short. He has had more than enough time and the facts show that he isn't a good coach. End the madness now!!
  • Dear USC,

I think Clay Helton is a wonderful coach and human being. As a conference we think you should sign him to a life time contract.

Love,
    the rest of the PAC 12

• fpgat1959 said... (original post) It was the other way around. Urban destroyed Clay.

Sarcasm is not your strong suit, is it?

• To read this post and more, subscribe now - One Month for Only $1

Become an Annual VIP member today and get access to VIP content, ad-free forums & more.

Join
  • USC Trojans Home
    Trojanfolife11X
    9+
    DefaultName
    JOIN TODAY! 1st month of USCFootball.com for ONLY $1
    One Month for Only $1

JOIN TODAY
    ByCHRIS HUMMER 9 hours ago
    14 Comments

The 2019 college football carousel is in full swing.

Maybe better stated: The rumor mill is churning. Late November and early December in college football is a time of agent maneuvering, public no comments and intrigue. There are plenty of names flying around for a limited number of jobs – some realistic, some not – and the fun doesn’t stop until every major FBS role is filled.

To help parse the chatter, 247Sports is diving into the rumor mill and recent news cycle. We’ll analyze job changes, smartly speculate on who could come next and try to sort the reasonable from the absurd on the rumor mill. Let's get started.

News: Joe Moorhead Spits Fire About His Job Status (11/29 7:00 a.m.)
    The Egg Bowl was simply insane Saturday evening. Ole Miss literally pissed the game away. As it was, the Bulldogs survived for a one-point win and qualified for bowl eligibility at 6-6. Postgame, Mississippi State head coach Joe Moorhead came out firing: “This is my school. This is my team. This is my program. If you want to ask, I’m not interested in anybody’s validation but the people in that locker room. Every single one of them if you ask who’s the right man for this job, they’ll tell you it’s me. I promise you that. … I’m here. This is my team, my school, my program. You’ll have to drag my Yankee ass out of here.”

There were questions about Moorhead’s job status entering the week. Moorhead for weeks had also been linked to the open Rutgers job. Moorhead is 14-11 overall and 2-0 against Ole Miss as Mississippi State’s head coach. Don’t forget, the Bulldogs’ season has been weighed down by a number of suspensions stemming from NCAA penalties.

Rumor: Seminoles vet Lane Kiffin (11/27: 3:49 p.m.)
    FootballScoop.com reported on Wednesday that Florida Atlantic head coach Lane Kiffin had been "vetted" by Florida State as it seeks to meet its self-assigned end-of-November deadline to hire Taggart's successor. Taggart was fired on Nov. 4 after just 21 games with the program, posting a 9-12 overall record while in Tallahassee.

Wednesday isn't the first time that Kiffin's name has been brought up amid the Seminoles' search for a new head coach. CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd reported earlier in the month that Kiffin expressed interest in the vacancy. Kiffin is 24-13 at Florida Atlantic since he took the job in time for the 2017 season. Prior to a stint under Nick Saban at Alabama, Kiffin worked as a head coach with both Tennessee and USC.

Rumor: Greg Schiano, Rutgers Reunion Isn’t Dead Yet (11/27: 1:25 p.m.)
    It wouldn’t be Rutgers without some twists and turns. The once-dead Schiano-to-Rutgers reunion isn’t quite dead yet. NJ.com reported Wednesday there’s “growing hope” Schiano’s negotiation with the Scarlet Knights can be salvaged. Talks between the two sides broke down after Schiano proposed an eight-year, $32 million contract. The way the deal fell apart – after weeks of negotiation – led several prominent alumni to outwardly criticize the school. Will this deal come back together? It’s unclear. But it’s worth noting Schiano is the only coach in recent Rutgers history to find any notable level of success. If Rutgers wants to avoid a future as the Big Ten’s punching bag, it makes sense to do everything it can to bring back the man who won in New Brunswick previously.

Rumor: USC Leaning Toward Keeping Clay Helton (11/27: 11 a.m.)
    Three-hundred-and-sixty-seven days ago USC announced Clay Helton would remain as the program’s head coach. In the time since the Trojans have hired a new school president (Carol Folt) and athletic director (Mike Bohn). You know who is still employed in Los Angeles? Helton. Despite rumors swirling for the entirety of 2019, Helton finished the season 8-4 and seems to have a legitimate chance to keep his job. The Athletic reported Wednesday that USC is “leaning toward bringing Helton back.” That report matches much of the chatter this week surrounding Helton’s employment. There are numerous factors at play here. Two seem to matter the most: 1. Urban Meyer’s interest and availability. 2. The stability the USC administration seems to believe Helton brings.

The first factor is rather obvious. Meyer is a slam dunk, grand slam, beautiful-goal hire if the Trojans can pull it off. But there are no guarantees. Meyer’s been a USC target for months now behind the scenes. And while things might still come together, it’s far from a lock that Meyer ends up in Los Angeles. If you can’t hire Meyer – the only sure-fire answer in this year’s coaching carrousel – why not just keep Helton? At least that seems to be the thinking by the USC administration. Helton, who is widely known as a good guy who does things the right way, does bring an element of stability to a program that’s been bathed in scandal.

Is it smart to keep Helton? Eh … USC’s developmental rate is abysmal considering its talent. The Trojans aren’t recruiting well – partly because recruits can see the guillotine hanging above his head – and there have been some baffling in-game mistakes that point toward poor coaching. Yet … Helton finished the 2019 season strong and there’s a belief with some revamped staff hires on defense that things could turn around. But not with Clancy pants.
    This^^^^^^^^

This post was edited by Trojanfolife11X 13 days ago

• Why do all you guys say that USC was very hot for UM but things just didnt't work out.? Why do you say that shit? USC was NEVER going to go after him... a fact you cannot seem to digest.

• get rid of Helton already...
    Urban to USC....get rid of Helton, hes a lame duck...his time at USC is Over....done...show him the door already

• The only reason Helton isn't gone already is he got lucky with a freshman QB and with his hire at OC.

• USC recruiting has collapsed (76th) and attendance has gone down considerably. USC will be inflicting long term damage if they stay the course.

This post was edited by MattC44 10 days ago

• Lane Kiffin tweets. I wouldn't hire anyone that tweets.

• wait so does this mean Chris Peterson wants the SC job, someone please explain?

• CollegeFBCrazy said... (original post) Lane Kiffin tweets. I wouldn't hire anyone that tweets.

He tweets so the fake news doesn't spin his interviews the wrong way....

• That would be way more likely than MrWoodson's idea of him replacing Tom Herman at Texas

• Will Bobo be back at Georgia?

• President Folt and AD Bohn:

Clay Helton: Poser Coach, Failure and False promises!

Urban Meyer: Real Coach, Success, No promises, but provides a legitimate chance for National Championships !

Mr. Bohn it was said you listen to everyone. Open your ears and listen to Trojan Nation! We are talking loud and clear! In case you forget!

We are SC ! Fight - On !