Dec 2nd

Dec 2nd

Arrow11
  • jpltrojan1 said... (original post) Nothing wrong with JDR other than he’s a complete unknown leading an NCAA team to a championship game. So, as SC’s AD do you take a chance on an ...

Del Rio is unknown? To college football fans who never watch pro football nor know anything about his record at USC, perhaps.

This post was edited by dinahtab 14 days ago

• dinahtab said... (original post) Del Rio is unknown? To college football fans who never watch pro football nor know anything about his record at USC, perhaps.

He as pretty clearly talking about him as a college coach. He’s never coached at that level even as an assistant.

My fundamental problem with JDR is that he would be another guy hired who wouldn’t even be considered if he didn’t have USC ties. No other top program would consider hiring him as HC. That’s the exact opposite of what we need right now.

That said, I have a hard time believing that he is the best we could do.

• trojans2015 said... (original post) He as pretty clearly talking about him as a college coach. He’s never coached at that level even as an assistant.My fundamental problem with JD...

"No other top program would consider hiring him"? How would you know that?

BTW, Pete Carroll was a complete "unknown" as a college coach also. It turned out to be meaningless, but there are still college football fans who think it actually matters.

This post was edited by dinahtab 14 days ago

• dinahtab said... (original post) "No other top program would consider hiring him"? How would you know that?

Because JDR's name has never come up as a desired option in any coaching search by another top program? Because his resume (never coached college even as an assistant, unexceptional as a HC) isn't the type that gets people hired as a HC at other top college programs?

Being completely honest, would you bring up JDR as an option if he wasn't a USC alum? Why him and not anyone else with a comparable NFL resume?

• trojans2015 said... (original post) Because JDR's name has never come up as a desired option in any coaching search by another top program? Because his resume (never coached ...

Again, how do you know JDR has considered other college teams?

Being completely honest, I would hope Bohn would consider anyone who has a record of being a defensive coordinator for an NFL team that won the Super Bowl. But that's me.

And now I have a question for you: Being completely honest, would you consider anyone from the NFL?

• dinahtab said... (original post) Again, how do you know JDR has considered other college teams?Being completely honest, I would hope Bohn would consider anyone who has a record of ...

Even if a coach isn't ultimately interested, if they are a desired commodity their name will come up at least in terms of teams reaching out to them. Can you cite a single example of a good college program reaching out to JDR to be their HC? Can you cite a specific program who you think would want JDR to be their coach? FSU currently has an opening, do you think they would consider him if he expressed interest.

I would be very reluctant to take a guy from the NFL who hasn't been involved in college football since playing 30+ years ago. And if we did, I'd want someone who's had a consistent track record of success as a HC, not just as a DC. Del Rio's resume is just not impressive for a top college HC job IMO.

• trojans2015 said... (original post) Even if a coach isn't ultimately interested, if they are a desired commodity their name will come up at least in terms of teams reaching o...

Neither was Carroll's record.

I should correct my statement about the Super Bowl, btw. Del Rio had just left the Broncos when they won the Super Bowl. He'd still be a good choice, imo, but I'm partial to defensive coaches with NFL experience.

• dinahtab said... (original post) Neither was Carroll's record. I should correct my statement about the Super Bowl, btw. Del Rio had just left the Broncos when they won the Su...

Carroll worked out, but I'm not sure looking for a guy with his resume would be the ideal way to go about things. We were very fortunate, he was like our 4th option, so it isn't like we knew what we had from the get go.

He had at least coached college ball for a decade before going to the NFL and he was not hired because of his previous affiliation with the university, which is more than one could say about Del Rio if he was the guy, and more than one can say about the last 3 hires we've made. After the last 10 years, I really just don't get how people could still be in favor of hiring guys who would never even be on the radar if they didn't have SC ties.

• Tonight’s the night. Fight On!

• It’s like Christmas Eve waiting for Santee!

Wonder if we can open our presents early? :)

• NebrVandal said... (original post) It’s like Christmas Eve waiting for Santee!Wonder if we can open our presents early? :)

I’m thinking more along the line of a lump of coal or a white elephant gift that can’t be exchanged but we’ll pass it on next year

This post was edited by Finkle 14 days ago

• Refresh refresh refresh

• OldSunsetFan said... (original post) Mike you need to fire Helton on Sunday December 1st and finalize the contract with Urban Meyer by December 2nd or that my last day of USC foot...

Mike strike one

You needed to have a busy day or USC football is done for 2020.

• OldSunsetFan said... (original post) Mike you need to fire Helton on Sunday December 1st and finalize the contract with Urban Meyer by December 2nd or that my last day of USC foot...

Strike two

Strike three - Bohn caught looking.

Game over

USC football is done for 2020

• PC was seen as "washed up" when we hired him. Any guy who has been a HC several years in the NFL and is willing to take our job has to be considered.

• Bellichek was a Browns retread when the Patriots hired him.