I hope everyone has listened to that unique Urban Meyer podcast

I hope everyone has listened to that unique Urban Meyer podcast

• with Daniel Jerimiah and heard him say something to the effect of "I don't buy these wildly incorrect oversimplifications about players from one region being automatically better (For certain kinds of players, say DL guys) and I don't buy any of the similar worn thin clichés." And I, eftzoons, too, am so tired of hearing the theory that the South grows far better college ready D linemen than, say, California. Kindly recall Mike Patteron, BKU, Shaun Cody, Manual Wright, LaJuan Ramsey...components all of them to that monster of Eftzoons' mythology called by him THE THING, greatest D line in my memory. All that has been lacking over the past decade of mostly mediocre D line play are the recruiters with the foresight to keep getting this thing right, just as we saw how Urban Meyer threw a super and DEEP brick wall of DL vs USC and Sam Darnold in the Cotton Bowl of a couple of years ago. I mean WHERE did such a plethora of standout, unblockable (for USC anyhow) D linemen come from? They came from Urban Meyers self-reloading juggernaiut Ohio State teams, guys whom he identified and went after like an OCD shark in the recuiting wars and beat off your Sabans and Swinneys for them AND THEN COACHED THEM UP MAGNIFICENTLY!!!! THIS is what USC wants and NEEDS right freaking now, especially with early signing day becoming so rapidly and demonstrably THE one signing day or LOI day and never-again that old first or second tuesday in February LOI day, now gone up in a puff of smoke.

• Discussion
  • we just don't need meyer, we deserve him after all the dysfunction. no other program would think twice

• SC is at that unique time and place where a proven winner is in their back yard and COULD be had for the right price. Now, there’s no guarantee that he’ll come to SC but not making a serious run at him would be an unforgivable crime. It should mark Folt’s time at SC...as a winner willing to pull all the stops...or as a loser just filling the role until a real leader steps up. Time will tell.

• eftzoons said... (original post) with Daniel Jerimiah and heard him say something to the effect of "I don't buy these wildly incorrect oversimplifications about players from one r...

Carroll put together some great defenses

https://youtu.be/ZH6eO6mj60Y
  • Oh yeah, Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. THE THING.

• We can have those moments with the right coach...who is cruising around in our back yard right now...Hire Urban FIGHT ON TO VICTORY

• I think there is probably some truth to the big DL in the South thing though. I think the odds of finding a 275-320 lb African American kid from Misssissippi to Florida is better than finding one in the Southwest to the NorthWest.

If you were to check the family tree of those referenced prospects from the West, their Grandparents/Great grandparents are likely from the South. You can't dispute historic migration patterns and demographics.

Also note how a large number of West Coast lineman are actually Samoan. There were 185,000 Samoans according to the last census, and only about 60K in California. We have two Samoan starters on our DL alone. If you check other Pac-12 schools like Utah,Oregon, UDub, etc . you'll find a large number of them as well. Even in regards to linebackers, we have 6 or 7 on our team, as well as 3 Safeties. Crazy numbers for a population of approx 200,000 in this country.

Someone should do an in depth study.

This post was edited by BlackLeftLeft 11 months ago

• I disagree. Signed, Shaun Cody and Mike Patterson:)

• Trojan Raul said... (original post) I disagree. Signed, Shaun Cody and Mike Patterson:)

Horribly weak response. You cherry picked two examples from 15-20 years ago that were already referenced in the original post. Get it together.

• Well, how about Tom Osborne at Nebraska, most of his bull dozers were white farm boys and I doubt many had any southern heritage, not mention when Barry Alvarez was coaching the majority of lineman were from the NORTH

This post was edited by bondobob 11 months ago

• Great players are great players. Period. Just as great coaches are great coaches. Now, as far as coaches go -- you have some with all kinds of experience who just never become great coaches. It really strikes me when CCH says he's been coaching for 30 years, etc. I wouldn't brag about that if I were him -- since he has not sufficiently grown through those many years of experience to become a great coach. I noticed from the video -- PC had no problem with a two back set. And we played four down linemen on D -- with very effective coverage of the edges. Nothing new under the sun. Just need the right head man to put the players in the right positions and coach them up to respond to the play instinctively. Most of all "Compete!" If you want to nit pick -- we didn't have a female drum major -- that probably tipped the scales. (cough.)

F.O...….

• In 2 of the last 3 recruiting classes, the top overall player was a DL from Southern Ca. Foreman & Thibodeaux

• To avoid any confusion among the feeble-minded on this board, I WANT UM as our coach, because I know we will kick but with him at the helm - I have never said he would not make that happen. BUT, my ex got a doctorate in molecular biology at USC and I know (1) research is the single-biggest source of income for the school and (2) a lot of it is privately funded. The controversies that UM could bring with him could affect the willingness of private money sources to fund research and that would hurt the entire University. Have I lost any of you yet? So, again my point is that hiring a controversial coach, even if YOU think those controversies are a tempest in a teapot, can have effects far into the future. All I have said is that those factors have to be considered, not just the desire of people who only care about football to see us dominate again. Got that?

• We're talking DLineman, more specifically big boys, so that means DTackle.

DEnds can be as light as 215 lbs in HS.

Let's focus here....

Looking at the 2020 Class rated by 247, here's what I see...

#2 South Carolina- Black
    #3 Mississippi- Black
    #4 Louisiana- Black
    #5 Florida- Black
    #6 Florida- Black
    #8-Texas- Black
    #9- Tennessee- Black
    #10- Mississippi- Black
    #11 - Florida- Black
    #12 - Louisiana-Black
    #13- North Carolina- Black
    #14- North Carolina- Black
    #17- South Carolina- Black
    #18- Alabama- Black
    #19- Florida- Black

There's literally 1 White cat in the top 20.

The rest not listed are Black and from DC, Maryland, Ohio, and Indiana.

There are 0 West Coast DT prospects, not even any Samoans which usually are heavily over-represented based on their population size. Nor are there any White West Coasters in the top 20.

There are 15 (14 if you don't count Texas as the South) Black DT prospects from the South in the Top 20.

75% of the top 20 prospects are Black Southerners.

95% of the top 20 prospects are Black.

Those are the facts.

• BlackLeftLeft said... (original post) 75% of the top 20 prospects are Black Southerners.95% of the top 20 prospects are Black.Those are the facts.

The vestiges of slavery remain.

• BlackLeftLeft said... (original post) We're talking DLineman, more specifically big boys, so that means DTackle. DEnds can be as light as 215 lbs in HS. Let's focus here....Lookin...

The greatest offensive lineman in NFL history is USC Trojan OT Anthony Munoz from Ontario, Ca.
  • Not thinking slavery here. I know that when I was coaching track and field that black communities took track much more seriously than white communities. We had some big crowds for our meets in black communities. So, for what it's worth, being on the track team, and more importantly excelling on the track team meant something in the black community that it didn't in the white community. I see a parallel with D-linemen in the South because of: (1) the concentration of black athletes; (2) strong community interest in excelling at the position. Some have suggested that holding a youngster back a year is more acceptable in some communities -- which is done with white kids in the West -- but, I'm not sure that's an appropriate conclusion about black athletes in the South. In other words, I don't know what factors make black D-linemen in the South look more mature. But it has been observed that black D-linemen from the South do appear to be more mature men, and not just teens.

F.O...…..

• BlackLeftLeft said... (original post) We're talking DLineman, more specifically big boys, so that means DTackle. DEnds can be as light as 215 lbs in HS. Let's focus here....Lookin...

Why do you have to try and turn this into a racial thing?
  • ItsCasual said... (original post) The greatest offensive lineman in NFL history is USC Trojan OT Anthony Munoz from Ontario, Ca.

Another Baxter Award candidate...We might just have to award it to you now and skip the voting process.

Why are you bringing up a Mexican (way behind Blacks, Whites, and Samoans in numbers historically) OLineman who was a HS prospect 45 years ago?

How is that relevant to this discussion at all?

• We need more diversity in college football, I agree. We need more players of European and Asian ancestry. We need to start developing the sport in those communities and countries, please donate to the funding immediately. I think quotas should be in place for all sports effective immediately.

• troy75 said... (original post) Not thinking slavery here. I know that when I was coaching track and field that black communities took track much more seriously than white communit...

I completely disagree with your hypothesis in regards to speed. The speed issue has nothing to do with Black folks being more serious about track. That is absolutely ridiculous. You can't really believe that.

The speed thing is physiological and most likely has to do with bone density and lean body mass density and location.

For similar reasons, the fastest swimmers are White.

As far as the big Black DT issue, it's demographics (more concentration of Blacks in the South),diet as well as physiology, among other things. One has to assume if Blacks are typically the fastest then the fastest big guys are probably going to be Black as well. Speed/quickness and size are the most desirable DT traits.

This is what I believe based on life experience, studies and research I've read over the years, the eye test, etc.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/268060016_The_evolution_of_speed_in_athletics_Why_the_fastest_runners_are_black_and_swimmers_white

Here we explain a much avoided phenomenon in the evolution of speed sports for men and women: The world records in running tend to be set by black athletes and in swimming by white athletes. We show that this phenomenon is predictable from physics. Locomotion is a ‘falling-forward ’ cycle, in which body mass falls forward and then rises again. Mass that falls from a higher altitude falls faster, down and forward. In running, the altitude (L 1) is set by the position of the center of mass above the ground. In swimming, the altitude is set by the upper body rising above the water, and it is proportional to H – L 1, where H is the height of the athlete. The anthropometric literature shows that the center of mass in blacks is 3 percent higher above the ground than in whites. This means that blacks hold a 1.5 percent speed advantage in running, and whites hold a 1.5 percent speed advantage in swimming. Among athletes of the same height Asians are even more favored than whites in swimming but they are not setting records because they are not as tall.

• Where does "Benny the Jet" Rodriguez fit into all this?

• bondobob said... (original post) Well, how about Tom Osborne at Nebraska, most of his bull dozers were white farm boys and I doubt many had any southern heritage, not mention when ...

But Osbourne didn't start winning NCs until he made inroads out west & down south. He had to go to FL to get Tommy Frazier, not the suburbs of Lincoln.

This post was edited by oldtrojan 93 11 months ago

• SoCalEase said... (original post) Where does "Benny the Jet" Rodriguez fit into all this?

on a baseball field

• ItsCasual said... (original post) Why do you have to try and turn this into a racial thing?

The OP eztoons said:

"with Daniel Jerimiah and heard him say something to the effect of "I don't buy these wildly incorrect oversimplifications about players from one region being automatically better (For certain kinds of players, say DL guys) and I don't buy any of the similar worn thin clichés." And I, eftzoons, too, am so tired of hearing the theory that the South grows far better college ready D linemen than, say, California."

We're discussing whether or not the South produces more DL than other areas, based on a conversation had during the MTS podcast.

According to you, me actually pulling the data and coming up with conclusions based on that data is me bringing race into it.

The data brought race into it. If 95% of a data set belongs to a certain group or shares a certain characteristic then that is very noteworthy and relevant.

Again, taking out any race talk, 75% of the top 20 DT prospects still come from the South. You can be colorblind all you want even though 100% of said 75% is Black.