I will take Malepeai all day and every day

I will take Malepeai all day and every day

Arrow4
  • I love that guy. Reminds me of Fargas. Runs hard, all business, jumps up, hands the ball to the ref. What a contrast to some of the grandstanding parading by guys performing at an average level but for some reason have been deluded that they have just saved the world. You made a tackle? Great, but unless you beat 4 blockers, did a 40 inch vertical to knock the ball away from an All-American player, you only did what you were supposed to do!! Stop acting like you're something special. Typical weak-a** Helton team. But whoever raised Malepeai did it right.

• Discussion
  • Is that you Johnny?

• I’ll take Kenan Christon all day every day. If he has a 47 yard carry once every 5 carries imagine if the team gave him 20 carries a game. Unstoppable offense

• OxyTrojan said... (original post)I’ll take Kenan Christon all day every day. If he has a 47 yard carry once every 5 carries imagine if the team gave him 20 carries a game. Unstopp...

If they used him like they have Malepeai Christon would not last the game. He is mis-used. Get KC outside where he can use his speed. Our OL is so weak handing it off to him up the gut is just asking for it

• OxyTrojan said... (original post)I’ll take Kenan Christon all day every day. If he has a 47 yard carry once every 5 carries imagine if the team gave him 20 carries a game. Unstopp...

Scam Harrell doesn't like scoring that much.

He only gets KC touches when everyone is injured.
  • PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)I love that guy. Reminds me of Fargas. Runs hard, all business, jumps up, hands the ball to the ref. What a contrast to some of the grandstan...

That's nice. But I would rather win and do so in an enjoyable fashion. Vae seems to be a nice kid. But his domination of the RB carriers is symbolic of where USC is at with its FB team. Play it safe. Nice. Don't rock the boat. Yes sir. No sir. All that's great. But it doesn't entertain. Also against a better defense, he effectively neutralizes the run game because he has no burst. Chrtiston's one long run out of the 5 carriers he got was more exciting than every single touch Vae got combined. It's good to have "nice respectable" guys who dont dance on the team. But that does not win or entertain. Vae would never start on a playoff team. So here we are.

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)I love that guy. Reminds me of Fargas. Runs hard, all business, jumps up, hands the ball to the ref. What a contrast to some of the grandstan...

It would be really be great if VM was as good as Justin Fargas. That 10.37 100m Fargas ran in high school or the 4.35 in the 40. That would really be great.

That said VM is a great kid and plays hard. He's tough and reliable but he's no Justin Fargas.

• TulsaTrojan said... (original post)It would be really be great if VM was as good as Justin Fargas. That 10.37 100m Fargas ran in high school or the 4.35 in the 40. That would real...

"reminds" refers to the fact that--like Fargas--Malepai knows geometry. He doesn't pretend he's Reggie Bush, he tends to either run in a straight line, or make one cut and that's it. So refreshing compared to so many today whooncesawreggiebushandknowtheyarejustlikehim.

• Chocolaterunner said... (original post)That's nice. But I would rather win and do so in an enjoyable fashion. Vae seems to be a nice kid. But his domination of the RB carrier...

KC had a great run, no doubt. Then he got stuffed on every other opp. If we had a coaching staff that knew you don't put a sports car amongst boulders that's one thing, but KC is getting misused. He will be lucky to escape injury the way he's being treated like he's Lendale

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)KC had a great run, no doubt. Then he got stuffed on every other opp. If we had a coaching staff that knew you don't put a sports car am...

Agree. It’s criminal how they are misusing him. And people wonder why we can’t recruit any highly ranked RBs. If you were a 4-5 star would you come here to sit behind Bend don’t break Vae, or to be misused getting two carries a game? I wouldn’t.

• Chocolaterunner said... (original post)Agree. It’s criminal how they are misusing him. And people wonder why we can’t recruit any highly ranked RBs. If you were a 4-5 star would y...

I liked how they were using the guys before, basically platooning among the 3 guys. With Carr & Stepp out I understand Vae getting more carries, but don’t understand the 21-5 disparity between the two available RBs. Especially when the primary carrier was averaging 3 ypc...

Balance-wise I think it’s pretty good - 40 drop-backsand 26 run plays - for an air raid offense. But it’s the variety in those 26. I still don’t understand why you would take guys like Christon or Carr and have them run draw and off-tackle, as opposed to getting them the ball in space - pitch, sweep, screen pass - and have them do the work. They do that every once in a while, but mostly have them run behind an unreliable OL.

This post was edited by gepetohong 1 day ago

• Fargas had Jacob Rogers, Winston Justice, Norm Katnik and Lenny Vandermade in front of him.

But, he was a very powerful runner.

• I'm just happy they have won 3 in a row.

• oldmanjay66 said... (original post)Fargas had Jacob Rogers, Winston Justice, Norm Katnik and Lenny Vandermade in front of him. But, he was a very powerful runner.

Lenny Vandermade is the father of Isaia who is a very athletic eighth grader.

Manoah Faupusa and Isaia are cousins and best friends.

Most high schools in OC will try to both of them to come to their campus next September.

If Christon can catch, I'd like to see him out in the flat catching balls in open space. That's where he would be most effective. Or in the slot position. He is in no way a between the tackles guy.

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)"reminds" refers to the fact that--like Fargas--Malepai knows geometry. He doesn't pretend he's Reggie Bush, he tends to ...

You mean like Carr who's afraid to run hard in tight spaces, so instead, he dances around in the backfield attempting to avoid being hit, inevitable taking a loss of yardage.

He does remind you of Fargas, good comparison!

• poodlemothra said... (original post)You mean like Carr who's afraid to run hard in tight spaces, so instead, he dances around in the backfield attempting to avoid being hit, ...

Well....for one. But everyone thinks they're Reggie Bush.

• BlackLeftLeft said... (original post)Scam Harrell doesn't like scoring that much. He only gets KC touches when everyone is injured.

he gets too cute in the end zone. Like last year, throwing slants into traffic and getting INT. The same thing happen this game, got cute and threw another int. we have speed but fail to use it, I havent seen a wheel route done by a running back and christian would be perfect for it. Linebackers wont be able to keep up with him.

• gepetohong said... (original post)I liked how they were using the guys before, basically platooning among the 3 guys. With Carr & Stepp out I understand Vae getting more carri...

but lets not forget, last year they used him but it was Stepp that came in and was giving us yards after contact. I like stepp, but I also like Vae. Stepp is that guy when healthy.

• Jack walker said... (original post)he gets too cute in the end zone. Like last year, throwing slants into traffic and getting INT. The same thing happen this game, got cute and th...

2 of KC's 9 catches last year were TDs.

You'd figure in the off season that Scam would have come up with ways to incorporate him more in the passing game and get him in space taking account his high rate of big plays per touch and insane 10.3 speed. Nope.

He's going to do the same with Bryant. Underutilize and not scheme to get his most explosive talent making big plays. He'd rather throw short passes and have Vae get 3 yards and a cloud of dust, while only scoring 30 points like some average offense when he has an arsenal of potential assasins on offense.

We can't score in the redzone efficiently so we need to be looking at scoring on big plays when we have the space to do so.

Stepp is always hurt and can't be counted on to be steady presence in the offense despite all the promise he shows and the potential we all want him to realize.

This post was edited by BlackLeftLeft 5 hours ago

• He's a steady workmanlike hard nosed running back. Used in the right play calling and substitution sequence he could be even more effective. Harrell's play calling rarely puts players in the best position to succeed even Slovis. Watching the offense over three games it's also apparent we have only one real potential gamebreaking threat. A forgotten underutilized KC.
    Without Pittman's jump ball ability on Slovis high arching, long, downfield balloon throws, teams can sit and flood the zones underneath and in the deep middle. Where Slovis maddeningly continues to force throws.
    Whatever happened to JT Daniels anyway?