Is Pittman really hurt?

Is Pittman really hurt?

• I guess it never occurred to you conspiracy theorists that "quitting" might be the worst thing he could do to his draft status.

• TroyJD said... (original post) I guess it never occurred to you conspiracy theorists that "quitting" might be the worst thing he could do to his draft status.

Because sitting out end of season games has hurt other guys like Christian Mccaffrey and Leonard Fournette. Last year’s Thorpe award winner sat out the sugar bowl and went in the first round. Doubt not playing against ASU and potentially Cal/UCLA would hurt Pitt. I’m not saying he’s quit. I don’t know. But it wouldn’t matter for his draft stock in a negative way if he did.

• WebbTowerAdult said... (original post) Because sitting out end of season games has hurt other guys like Christian Mccaffrey and Leonard Fournette. Last year’s Thorpe award winner ...

Okay, but I think USC still has a chance to finish better than they did last year. If he sits out a 2nd or worse tier bowl, I don't think anyone would blame him, but the pros want to know that you will go out and do your job, especially when you are playing in some pain, IMO.

• TroyJD said... (original post) I guess it never occurred to you conspiracy theorists that "quitting" might be the worst thing he could do to his draft status.

Guys have sat out entire seasons and it did nada to their draft status. Name one of the dozens of players who have done this the past few years who slid in the draft? We didn't consider it because it isn't worth considering.

• The bigger question might be did Pitt hurt his draft stock by coming back? Did he truly improve that much as a player or did he just get more targets and get more touches via a more diversified route tree. Could he have improved more with a year of NFL coaching vs tutelage under the USC staff?

He could have got a $3-4mil deal with a $750K-1mil signing bonus as a third round pick, which was the alleged grade he received. Was coming back another year worth losing a million and possibly enduring a second straight losing season?

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post) Never turn down additional practices. Agreed

Even if they’re pillow fight, soft serve parties?

• BlackLeftLeft said... (original post) The bigger question might be did Pitt hurt his draft stock by coming back? Did he truly improve that much as a player or did he just get more ...

I think he’s still a 3rd round prospect. Woods, Lee, Juju... all were better than Pitt but went in the second round. Pitt might get drafted high just because teams will like his size, but I don’t think he’ll show well in speed drills at the combine and he’s not as polished as the other 3 who went 2nd round.

That’s just talent wise though. I don’t know what the rest of this years receiver class will look like so maybe he benefits or suffers from a weak/strong class

This post was edited by WebbTowerAdult 4 days ago

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post) Never turn down additional practices. Agreed

Helton runs football practices? Since when?

This post was edited by hparas 3 days ago

• Hockey10 said... (original post) USC still has a chance to make it to a Bowl game. A lame one but it still gives the team extra practices. An opportunity for a new coach to evalua...

You know, in most cases, I would be on your side but this is a different situation when your coach is Clay Helton. I personally feel, from a business standpoint, he has already costs the players millions of dollars by not developing them properly, ruining their draft stock. And some point, the players have to think about themselves because let's face reality; If these young men couldn't play football, there would be no full ride scholarships. The moment these blue chip recruits signed up for USC football, they made a business deal.

• BlackLeftLeft said... (original post) The bigger question might be did Pitt hurt his draft stock by coming back? Did he truly improve that much as a player or did he just get more ...

You couldn't have said it better than enough and I even think USC fans in general (even Helton Haters) don't truly understand how Helton has compromised player's draftstock; in fact, I think he's already killed some careers. We're talking about millions of dollars here folks. None of these players owe anything, not a damn dime, to Helton. Helton and the USC administration owe them.

• The thing is even if he still ends up a 3rd rounder as projected be the previous year, he lost a year of income that he will never get back. People always brush aside that fact when discussing returning for a senior year. A million dollars is nothing to sneeze at, especially in regards to a profession where you have a limited amount of years to earn, and the wear and tear on your body/age is the dominating factor in regards to your longevity.

I think you need to leave early if you can. The future holds too many questions.

As for sitting out, I think if you come back and are a captain that's a bad look to sit out/shut it down the last few games. A low prestige bowl is one thing, but 3 remaining regular season games would be ridiculous.

This post was edited by BlackLeftLeft 3 days ago

• I don't think coming back has helped any one on our team, ever. Maybe an OL who need more S&C, but it didn't get much publicity that I remember. On the other hand, Leinart, Barkley, etc.

• DeMatDeTes said... (original post) Players quitting. This seems to be a recurring theme the past several years. It only solidifies and backs up my claim the USC needs to recruit f...

You were saying?
  • What a suck thread