LOOK: Lane Kiffin on tackling mistake he made while at USC

LOOK: Lane Kiffin on tackling mistake he made while at USC

• Discussion
  • Should haven't broken contact with his wife, that was the worst missed tackle for him. Everyone on every board I was ever on at the time knew Kiffin's practices were soft and said so. But "Kiffin was the coach," we were told. He knows best. Baloney then and baloney now.

• So, Gomer has heard it from more than one coach...will it be enough to prompt him to radically change his approach to practices? I’m guessing he’ll talk about it but we won’t see it on film.

• Kiffin>ConMan

At least he learns from his mistakes. With COVID and all it still would have been "No Pads Fall" for this squad.

This post was edited by BlackLeftLeft 14 days ago

• This is why truly elite teams don't hire dopes or inexperienced dupes.

• Of course Clay was on his staff then, and was on Sark's staff when the numbers were even lower. Sadly, Helton didn't notice that he had a full roster by the time he took full control of the team, and kept practicing the same way.

.....As far as Kiffin's comments about "everyone saying he can't coach", nobody said anything of the sort during his first two years at USC. He was generally well-liked on the boards and nobody was calling for his head. After the 2011 season, the man became insufferably arrogant, secretive, manipulative, and pig-headed. His firing had less to do with his record than the type of person/coach he had become. I enjoy following Lane's career and wish him well, but the comeuppance he received on the LAX tarmac was deserved.

This post was edited by albertocrespi 14 days ago

• albertocrespi said... (original post)Of course Clay was on his staff then, and was on Sark's staff when the numbers were even lower. Sadly, Helton didn't notice that he ...

Kiffin was always a spoiled little ^&%$. The only reason most fans accepted him at first was because his dad was going to lead us to the promised land, defense-wise. That turned out to be a cruel joke, as Old Man Kiffin was pretending college was the nfl. But make no mistake there was all sorts of scuttlebutt coming out of the locker room, and his little running away from the media trick. He may have gotten worse after 2011 but it was not as if he went from great guy to pr*ck, it was just that stress and adversity revealed him to be the Clown Do*che that he always was.

• albertocrespi said... (original post)Of course Clay was on his staff then, and was on Sark's staff when the numbers were even lower. Sadly, Helton didn't notice that he had a full ...

Good point about Helton being on staff during Kiffin's run. I tend to forget Kiffin was the one who co-signed him and allowed the ConMan to infiltrate the program.

I was never cool with ConMan though, and was pissed when Haden hired him. I do remember an alarming amount of insufferable pumpers on here when I joined 4 years ago, but they seem to have gone into witness protection.
  • PaulDrakeLives said... (original posKiffin was always a spoiled little ^&%$. The only reason most fans accepted him at first was because his dad was going to lead us to the pr...

What you say about Kiffin being a spoiled little &^%$ was true. He was still the same "goatboy" he was during his initial stint at USC under Carroll. However Kiffin being accepted here had almost nothing to do with Monte, who never produced good defenses. It had to do with Lane having a great year in 2011, while keeping his mouth shut. I'm not sure if you were here then or not, but the P was behind him at that time, if for no other reason than he was producing. I personally don't remember any rumblings in the locker room until 2012, and a friend's son was on the team. There might have been however.

I'd argue that stress and adversity had nothing to do with Lane's initial fall from grace. As they say, "pride cometh before the fall." Kiffin's control freak actions prior to the start of the 2012 season, which had not been evident in his first two years (no more injury reports, no more opposing team walk-throughs, arrogance in his pressers...etc) came to the forefront well before he started losing games that year.

• albertocrespi said... (original post)What you say about Kiffin being a spoiled little &^%$ was true. He was still the same "goatboy" he was during his initial stint ...

I was on another site (Ryan's), and there was a LOT of resistance about Kiffin when he was hired, and it was ONLY Monte's hiring that somewhat mollified us. But that didn't last long. Your take is plausible, except I do believe that pressure showed the real Lane to the world, and it often showed up in media interviews. Remember when he actually ran away from them on HJ field?

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)I was on another site (Ryan's), and there was a LOT of resistance about Kiffin when he was hired, and it was ONLY Monte's hiring th...

PDL, The context of me saying there was no real dissatisfaction here with Lane as head coach, was after his 2011 season. My apologies if that was not clear. There were plenty of critics of his initial hire, myself among them. Lane and Monte were hired as a package deal (Ed O came too). It happened suddenly, a day or two after Pete left, so there was almost no time for discussion on Ryan's board prior to the announcement.

I do think Lane's learned from his mistakes..at least somewhat. Inheriting a 3-9 team and winning two C-USA championships in his 3 years at Florida Atlantic was impressive.

• albertocrespi said... (original post)PDL, The context of me saying there was no real dissatisfaction here with Lane as head coach, was after his 2011 season. My apologies if that ...

Nice