Notre Dame is still better than us

Notre Dame is still better than us

Arrow5
  • Anyone else sick of being worse than our rival?

• Discussion
  • This will always be the case with Clueless Helton as HC.

• Even prior to the pandemic, USC raised the white flag on that rivalry. ND > USC. And will be for a loooooong time.

• doublegeez said... (original post)Even prior to the pandemic, USC raised the white flag on that rivalry. ND > USC. And will be for a loooooong time.

You know what would make me feel at least a little bit better? If Clueless Clay just fessed up. Called a press conference. Admitted the job was way over his head, apologized to those watching, resigned, and walked off the stage. But every time I see his puffy egg face, he says something stupid, blathers some platitude, and plays pretend some more, like he's just repeating what he heard once in high school. It's such an insult to the fans and especially to the alums.

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)You know what would make me feel at least a little bit better? If Clueless Clay just fessed up. Called a press conference. Admitted the job w...

Paul, you are not alone in how you feel. It’s an insult to all of us that loved USC football and know what it can be.

• user generated

• doublegeez said... (original post)Even prior to the pandemic, USC raised the white flag on that rivalry. ND > USC. And will be for a loooooong time.

Yep, it started with Marshal Pat-ain AKA Vichy Pat, i.e. Pat Haden.

• The sad thing is this SC team has sooo much more raw talent on the roster than ND.

This post was edited by Dickens 7 days ago

• Sad part is we don’t anymore. 247 says ND has more talent on roster

• They have been though the years.
    We have had some good runs, but they have consistently been one of the best CFB programs ever.
    Sorry. I'm old. You just want us to be Alabama, or Clemson now.
    Yeah, we'd need Dabo for that. IMO

• Notre Dame allowed Brian Kelly to retool their entire staff and change the football program. Kelly is gruff on the edges, kind of a jerk by many counts and sort of unapologetic for his ways. In other words, he is nothing like Clay Helton, who is like a big ice cream buying teddy bear, congratulating everyone but himself, a modern day Gomer Pyle. "Well Sgt. Carter, I truly felt like the other coach did a great job, so why can't I say that? Its the truth. And, my grandma told me to go to church and tell the truth . . . . "

Anyway, back to Kelly, the guy can coach. Is he Nick Saban? Probably not? Lincoln Riley? No. But, does he understand how to win? Does he understand that to compete at the elite levels at a school like Notre Dame, you are going to have to push the envelope and take advantage of anything and everything at your disposal. 100%. In essence, Notre Dame decided to put their football team in the hands of a competent coach who might not be perfect, but he is there coach, and apparently, he was the best option.

Like the Kelly v. Gomer Pyle comparison, Notre Dame's administration made a wise move unlike the USC administration. At USC, a committee of a number of different people, donors, and various others, decided at different times that the answer was to keep the bad head coach who follows the rules, and simply fix things by hiring a few new assistants, etc., and some former players, etc., and allow the problem to fix itself? This is what happens when you have a committee of nobodies all trying to avoid the blame, and no one who is willing to stand up and take charge.

So at the end of the day we have a new special teams coach, a new defensive coordinator, and then on the offensive side of the ball we have Coach Helton who is absolutely clueless and oblivious regarding his complete incompetence. You have an Offensive coordinator who looks like he skipped his high school prom to coach the game, coupled with a "Passing Game Coordinator and Running Game Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach" Time Drevno [I have not confirmed this, but I understand USC is contemplating giving Drevno the additional title of law school Dean] and together, they have created an offense that does not fit with our players. I graduated from the US Air Force Academy. At USAFA, we had a gimmick offense that allowed us to compete. Our option was losing every game by 50 points, and we did not want to do that. USC does not need any gimmicks. Despite Clay Helton's ridiculous statements, "well, we did not run the ball early, because we were unsure what U of A was going to do on defense . . . ." Clay, how about this. Who F___king cares what U of A is going to do. We are significantly better than them at every position. Let's run the ball down their throats, [maybe even an end around, or a quick toss, screen pass, a reverse? sorry, I know I am getting a bit out of control, but, maybe quickly get the ball in the hands of one of our Olympic level sprinters? Then we couple this strategy with kicking the ball in bounds, etc., and get after it.

As for the offensive line, we change our strategy and focus on two things: ELBOWS and AS_HOLES. I don't know what that means, but my coach used to always tell me this and it fired me up big time.

• SealBeachSandy said... (original post)Notre Dame allowed Brian Kelly to retool their entire staff and change the football program. Kelly is gruff on the edges, kind of a jerk by m...

Sorry to mention this to an Air Force grad, but it seems that expression comes from the Marines....

https://everything2.com/title/*********+and+elbows#:~:text=%22Assholes%20and%20elbows%22%20is%20military,recognized%20in%20two%20Marine%20contexts.

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)You know what would make me feel at least a little bit better? If Clueless Clay just fessed up. Called a press conference. Admitted the job w...

user generated

• holteric21 said... (original post)Anyone else sick of being worse than our rival?

We are worse than almost every one right now. Sad state of affairs. USC football is done until there is a complete overhaul of the BOT and the administration and Clay gets fired. At this point the admin. does not care about football and thinks it is meaningless.

• This is on Rick Caruso. Folt wouldn’t get away with it if Caruso wasn’t all in.

He’s a SC frat boy born with a silver spoon and looking for a place in politics. The sooner he’s called out for the damage that’s occurred under his watch the better.

• cardinalblood said... (original post)We are worse than almost every one right now. Sad state of affairs. USC football is done until there is a complete overhaul of the BOT and the ...

2-0 means a lot to the players, and the staff.
    Kids on bad teams are already looking to next year, and other things.
    These kids know they are undefeated, but haven't played a complete game. Keeps them wanting more, during a time of unrest, and sickness, worrying about personal family safety.
    We will find out if it goes well if Utah shows up.
  • cardinalblood said... (original post)We are worse than almost every one right now. Sad state of affairs. USC football is done until there is a complete overhaul of the BOT and the ...

Yep...we’re damn near the worst team in America (the mirage of our 2-0 record notwithstanding).

• TexasTrojan56 said... (original post)2-0 means a lot to the players, and the staff.Kids on bad teams are already looking to next year, and other things.These kids know they are un...

I am separating the staff and the players, insofar as your post. I have no problem with 18- and 19-year-old kids being excited about being "undefeated." Though, I got to tell you: Slovis is a smart kid, and I'm sure he (and a few other players) know just how close we are to being 0-2. But, that having been said, if the STAFF feels good about our current state of affairs, then they are dumber than even I know them to be! Like it or not, society looks at Helton and the rest of our coaches as "adults" and they should know better. We have just done the equivalent of rolling "Lucky Sevens" about ten times in a row. Remember that win over PSU in the RB? Remember that pass that caromed off a player's hands right into Ju-Ju's hands on one of those 2 last drives? Well, we did that twice in two games, and this time the ball went through the hands of the d-back! So it's not just that we don't have a "complete game," it's just that we look like morons and simps most of the game--then cobble together just enough to beat so-so or poor teams. Did you see the stats that BLL put up? Where we rank in the meaningful categories? So if the players want to enjoy a 2-0 start that's one thing (but I doubt whether even they are dumb enough to think they earned it), but if our coaches are "enjoying" this crap fest, then that is just one more reason to kick them to the curb.

• holteric21 said... (original post)Sad part is we don’t anymore. 247 says ND has more talent on roster

Thanks to the horrible recruiting the last two years.
  • holteric21 said... (original post)Sad part is we don’t anymore. 247 says ND has more talent on roster

It depends on more than Star ratings. If a team has multiple QBs, 6 WRs, 6 DBs in a class but no OL or DL the “class ranking” may be high but they all can’t play at the same time makes a poor football team. ND has been building classes consistently for 4-5 years with balance & starting in the trenches, sprinkling in the occasional 5 Star skill player. And they develop their roster & scheme towards their strengths. SI does a post draft analysis each year reranking each recruiting class 5 years after they signed & the last three years ND’s classes that were ranked between 11-15 when they signed were reranked 5th, tied for 5th & 4th upon leaving ND.

• usas9705 said... (original post)It depends on more than Star ratings. If a team has multiple QBs, 6 WRs, 6 DBs in a class but no OL or DL the “class ranking” may be high but they ...

But that’s part of the problem. We should be outrecruiting ND based on location alone. If we keep on this path and they start getting more and more elite skill position players we’re never going to beat them.

• holteric21 said... (original post)But that’s part of the problem. We should be outrecruiting ND based on location alone. If we keep on this path and they start getting more and mo...

You have to define “out recruit,” that’s my point. Getting what is perceived as “better talent” doesn’t mean it actually is. And ND is churning out the best OL in the country every year regardless of rankings. OL aren’t as likely to get caught up in the California appeal. USC has to scout, recruit then develop OL. ND won’t get the DL the SEC here, but they scout, recruit & develop 3 Star & low 4 Star guys that end up playing like 5 Star guys.

• usas9705 said... (original post)You have to define “out recruit,” that’s my point. Getting what is perceived as “better talent” doesn’t mean it actually is. And ND is churning out ...

We should still be able to recruit similar talent levels on the line as ND does. Whether or not we coach them up is a different issue

• holteric21 said... (original post)We should still be able to recruit similar talent levels on the line as ND does. Whether or not we coach them up is a different issue

A lot of the OL come from Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, New Jersey, ect...that ND has stockpiled. Now they have a few former players who coach HS football at powerhouses out west like Bishop Gorman and other California schools who are planting the ND seed. There are 3-4 top 250 kids in Vegas right now who normally would be heavy USC leans that are ND leans because of Nico Fertita coaching there now.

• usas9705 said... (original post)A lot of the OL come from Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, New Jersey, ect...that ND has stockpiled. Now they have a few former ...

I know, but if they start getting even better OL recruits along with their development. We are *******.

• holteric21 said... (original post)We should still be able to recruit similar talent levels on the line as ND does. Whether or not we coach them up is a different issue

We certainly used to, which supports your point.