Rumor: Jack Del Rio to USC

Rumor: Jack Del Rio to USC

• Saw a tweet. In the past his reporting has been good. Just wanted to share it. I would prefer a coach with experience in college football. The one good thing is he has head coach experience. He does not have recruiting experience and it may be a challenge for him to build a coaching staff with his lack of college football experience.

Here is the tweet.

• Discussion
  • USCTraveler80 said... (original post)

Saw a tweet. In the past his reporting has been good. Just wanted to share it. I would prefer a coach with experience in college football. The one good thing is he has head coach experience. He does not have recruiting experience and it may be a challenge for him to build a coaching staff with his lack of college football experience.

Here is the tweet.

I saw this as well. I hope we get someone with no ties to the program. We need a clean slate.

• The admins better give him a blank check to get whatever assistants he needs

• Ofcourse he is. It was always going to be him or Jeff Fisher. I knew it, you knew it, WE knew it. Very good chance that he will be the next Lovie Smith at Illinois, Mike Sherman at Texas A&M, Dave Wannstedt at Pitt than the next Pete Carroll

• He checks a lot of boxes though... except for "clean slate please"

Is he a better candidate than Helton ever was? Yes.

Honestly though, I want somebody who is BURNING to succeed here. I think JDR would be the comfy hire and I doubt he has the deep burning desire to succeed I really want to see in a head coach. I could be wrong, it happened once the other year too.

• If he makes us a physical team I'm all for him.

• What kinda personality does he have? Everytime I see him on tv he’s smiling. DO NO LIKE. We need an ornery mean asshole to put fear in our players. DJ Durkin please!

• WanderingTrojan said... (original post)

He checks a lot of boxes though... except for "clean slate please"

Is he a better candidate than Helton ever was? Yes.

Honestly though, I want somebody who is BURNING to succeed here. I think JDR would be the comfy hire and I doubt he has the deep burning desire to succeed I really want to see in a head coach. I could be wrong, it happened once the other year too.

He has SC ties, but really nothing for the last 30+ years. If we had to get someone with SC ties, he would be high on my list.

I would imagine he has a huge chip on his shoulder after the way the Raiders worked out for him. Maybe he sees this as a retirement job, but I don’t think people who are NFL HCs for a decade can turn off their competitive streak. Right now his legacy is a .500 coach. He probably would prefer to be remembered as something more...or not.

Just being realistic, we could do (and recently have done) so, so, so much worse.

• Everyone has the right to question JDR as a CFB coach (lack of college experience etc.) But he had a lot of good seasons as an NFL head coach, he’s a Defensive coach and had Denver playing balls to the wall as their D Coordinator.
    And even if he’s not your top choice, I think we can all agree that going from Helton to JDR would be 1000% upgrade.
    I think JDR would be great.

Edit: And I’m not USC sunshine pumping, I hated the Helton hire from day one.

This post was edited by trojanNorCal 1 year ago

• ThrowawayRandy said... (original post)

What kinda personality does he have? Everytime I see him on tv he’s smiling. DO NO LIKE. We need an ornery mean asshole to put fear in our players. DJ Durkin please!

He has 1k tackles as a LB in the NFL and coached Ray Lewis for 3 years. I really don’t think he’s a smiley, soft serve kind of coach in the locker room.

• I guess i fall into the ‘no usc ties’ camp, so I’m a bit skeptical. Don’t want a nostalgia hire even though jdr was the real deal and then some as a player. Open but skeptical, yeah.

• skeptical as well but you would figure after going through 3 coaches with USC ties that people would get tired of it and go for a different route.

• Well, JDR is a helluva lot better than Jeff Fisher. Keep Fisher far the hell away from here pls

• Jack Del Rio to USC

Please god no
    No no no no no no no

• He’s been lobbying for it behind the scenes for over a year

• FREE KOBE said... (original post)

He’s been lobbying for it behind the scenes for over a year

Any idea how close JDR and Swann are KOBE??

• FREE KOBE said... (original post)

He’s been lobbying for it behind the scenes for over a year

How so? Has he been talking to Haden and/or Swann, members of the BOT, or wealthy alumni/boosters?

• I remember that dude, Brooks Melchior, used to do sports updates on AM 1150 back in the day.

• If true, can’t wait for the Kennedy Pola offense.

• sdotk11 said... (original post)

Well, JDR is a helluva lot better than Jeff Fisher. Keep Fisher far the hell away from here pls

Both guys were HC in the pros for a while. We could do a lot worse than either.

The truth is the best guy for SC is probably someone on almost no ones radar screen. Someone all the experts here hate and fill thousands of posts disparaging before one down is played.

The second truth is that guys success is going to depend a lot on assistant coaches. And a big part of that is luck of the draw, who is available.

Would Pete Carroll have won 2 NCs without Norm Chow? I personally don't think so. Chow was the right guy at the right time, and fortunately was at a point in his career where he was open to joining SC.

• TrojanCurtis90 said... (original post)

Both guys were HC in the pros for a while. We could do a lot worse than either.

The truth is the best guy for SC is probably someone on almost no ones radar screen. Someone all the experts here hate and fill thousands of posts disparaging before one down is played.

The second truth is that guys success is going to depend a lot on assistant coaches. And a big part of that is luck of the draw, who is available.

Would Pete Carroll have won 2 NCs without Norm Chow? I personally don't think so. Chow was the right guy at the right time, and fortunately was at a point in his career where he was open to joining SC.

Great post. I don’t know if CPC would have won two without Norm but I bet he would have won one or two more with him....

• The Lizard King said... (original post)

How so? Has he been talking to Haden and/or Swann, members of the BOT, or wealthy alumni/boosters?

Well,there’s this from Nov 2015............

According to Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News, the Trojans called Raiders coach Jack Del Rio about the opening, but he told them he wasn’t leaving his current gig.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/30/jack-del-rio-told-alma-mater-no-thanks-when-they-called/

• I don’t get the hate that JdR is getting. He’s a tough guy, worked with some great coaches and had some good seasons with generally lesser respected franchises in Jax and Oak.

His defenses have always been good and he knows what football is all about - unlike the current staff.

The only bad things people can say are that he has ties to usc - despite being from a completely different coaching tree than the one we’re trying to get away from, which is the main reason for wanting an outside anyway; that he was only .500 in the nfl - yeah in Jacksonville and Oakland with good defense (lest we not forget pete’s First nfl go round or saban’s); and that one of our 6 scholarship punters might injure himself with an axe if we sign him. Big deal. It’s a name I can be excited over. Not bring the roof down joy, but as good if not better than any of the other suggestion I’ve heard.

• Ya gotta luv the rumor mill. What say Wolfie?

• Action Figure said... (original post)

If true, can’t wait for the Kennedy Pola offense.

*White Smoke*

• FluorTowerKid said... (original post)

I don’t get the hate that JdR is getting. He’s a tough guy, worked with some great coaches and had some good seasons with generally lesser respected franchises in Jax and Oak.

His defenses have always been good and he knows what football is all about - unlike the current staff.

The only bad things people can say are that he has ties to usc - despite being from a completely different coaching tree than the one we’re trying to get away from, which is the main reason for wanting an outside anyway; that he was only .500 in the nfl - yeah in Jacksonville and Oakland with good defense (lest we not forget pete’s First nfl go round or saban’s); and that one of our 6 scholarship punters might injure himself with an axe if we sign him. Big deal. It’s a name I can be excited over. Not bring the roof down joy, but as good if not better than any of the other suggestion I’ve heard.

That's a lie. His defenses were not always good. They were AWFUL with the Raiders and that was with Mack