Rumor: Jack Del Rio to USC

Rumor: Jack Del Rio to USC

• troy75 said... (original post)

Don't get the bit about "no USC ties." That seems illogical. Why should we not evaluate any candidate on his own merits? If Saban had played for SC would you summarily dismiss his candidacy? It's like disqualifying a guy for the color of his hair. Makes no sense to me.

Remember, in 2016 the Raiders were 12-4. And JDR got a four-year extension. Carr got hurt and M. Davis thought getting Chuckie would solve all his problems. Davis -- not so smart. The Raiders would be a better team today if JDR was still their coach. He could be ours -- and that could be a very good thing.

F.O...…..

Bobby Petrino is allegedly on the hot seat at Louisville.

Guess who allegedly is the front ruuner?

Jeff Brohm.

Guess where he's from?

The same place who wants to hire him.

This post was edited by Dwhitmore 1 year ago

• ThrowawayRandy said... (original post)

What kinda personality does he have? Everytime I see him on tv he’s smiling. DO NO LIKE. We need an ornery mean asshole to put fear in our players. DJ Durkin please!

You know jdr was a mean linebacker don’t you? I’ve been praying for jdr for years

• What's concerning about JDR is that Oakland's defense got worse with him as HC. Some of the blame could be put on their DC Ken Norton Jr, who we all know is a fraud of a coach but JDR also had ONLY one good season as DC of the Broncos. The Jags defense also significantly improved the year after JDR got fired. It's concerning because JDR is known as a defense guy, not offense.

No comparison to PC. PC had top defenses as a DC and HC in the NFL before he ever came to USC (his offenses as HC in NFL before he came to USC was a concern).

This post was edited by PatrickDSC 1 year ago

• PatrickDSC said... (original post)

What's concerning about JDR is that Oakland's defense got worse with him as HC. Some of the blame could be put on their DC Ken Norton Jr, who we all know is a fraud of a coach but JDR also had ONLY one good season as DC of the Broncos. The Jags defense also significantly improved the year after JDR got fired. It's concerning because JDR is known as a defense guy, not offense.

No comparison to PC. PC had top defenses as a DC and HC in the NFL before he ever came to USC (his offenses as HC in NFL before he came to USC was a concern).

Did you forget about when he was with Denver?

• OklahomaTrojan said... (original post)

Its going around that hue jackson is the "frontrunner" for HC.

• OklahomaTrojan said... (original post)

Denver= Broncos

• Dwhitmore said... (original post)

Please, for the love of all that is good, NO.

Going around...the internet? Donor circles? The toilet bowl?

No it’s not

• Uscscott80 said... (original post)

No it’s not

Yes it is dude. The Peristyle is not the holy bible of USC football dude.

• PaulDrakeLives said... (original post)

I don't know which is dumber: me, as part of a search committee that would actually take seriously a youtube video as part of the selection process, or the dumbshit that asked me to do it.

Yeah, because you are dense then a MF.

You ask the same repetitive dumb ass questions everyday on here.

How many dino barbers for hc or Matt Campbell for hc are we going to get before the 3rd quarter tonight?

Go out and get some fresh air or something.

• I'm really terrified of this happening, but it seems close to reality. According to Mason & Ireland who I hope don't have reliable sources, Jack already has a staff picked out.

We need someone young and innovative. The sport has changed. It's not the same type of game that Jack knows. I'm sick of this USC ties/former Trojans thing that seems to be the main qualifier for candidates.

• LOB_v2 said... (original post)

I'm really terrified of this happening, but it seems close to reality.

The only fear is Clay itself.

USC fans have two options: JDR or Clay Helton. Everyone should be hoping it's true. JDR might even be able to independently raise some funds for a staff from some nostalgic boosters. He's literally the best that we can hope for at this point.

• elum07 said... (original post)

The only fear is Clay itself.

USC fans have two options: JDR or Clay Helton. Everyone should be hoping it's true. JDR might even be able to independently raise some funds for a staff from some nostalgic boosters. He's literally the best that we can hope for at this point.

This train of thought is what got us into the "let's give Helton a chance" mode of thinking... although you really can't even begin to put JDR and Helton on the same step of Heritage Hall.

Well, he's better than the last guy! Might as well support the team until they figure out "adequate"... isn't.

• What is the buyout for Clay Helton?

• USCTraveler80 said... (original post)

What is the buyout for Clay Helton?

Buyouts are only for coaches that you are worried about being poached. With clueless it's just the rest of his salary.

• AFTXTJ said... (original post)

Buyouts are only for coaches that you are worried about being poached. With clueless it's just the rest of his salary.

No, no, no. His $3m x 5 years does not automatically equal his salary. It might, if we had the stupidest fucking negotiator alive (that’s a 100% legit chance, granted), but a buyout is usually much less. Think along the lines of NFL players’ salaries...the only number that matters is the guaranteed pay. The rest is only paid if it is worth it to the team (the cost of the player is less than their expected value).

• TrojanEconomist said... (original post)

No, no, no. His $3m x 5 years does not automatically equal his salary. It might, if we had the stupidest fucking negotiator alive (that’s a 100% legit chance, granted), but a buyout is usually much less. Think along the lines of NFL players’ salaries...the only number that matters is the guaranteed pay. The rest is only paid if it is worth it to the team (the cost of the player is less than their expected value).

Whoever gave CCH a contract extension last should be summarily fired for unbridled stupidity....

...Or given a lifetime appointment to the BOT.

• TrojanEconomist said... (original post)

LSU and Les Miles were about to reduce the settlement, could USC do the same with Clay Helton?

• LOB_v2 said... (original post)

I'm really terrified of this happening, but it seems close to reality. According to Mason & Ireland who I hope don't have reliable sources, Jack already has a staff picked out.

We need someone young and innovative. The sport has changed. It's not the same type of game that Jack knows. I'm sick of this USC ties/former Trojans thing that seems to be the main qualifier for candidates.

Maybe he’s got a young and innovative staff? ?? one can only hope

• USCTraveler80 said... (original post)

LSU and Les Miles were about to reduce the settlement, could USC do the same with Clay Helton?

That only happened because Miles landed another HC job. Who wants Helton at this point? He'd probably go into broadcasting and collect his checks.

• Not my first choice

This post was edited by Uscscott80 12 days ago

• WanderingTrojan said... (original post) He checks a lot of boxes though... except for "clean slate please"Is he a better candidate than Helton ever was? Yes.Honestly though, I wan...

Ever see him play. Where do you think his fire went?
  • ThrowawayRandy said... (original post) What kinda personality does he have? Everytime I see him on tv he’s smiling. DO NO LIKE. We need an ornery mean ******** to put fear in our ...

You never saw him play eaither. Youngsters